First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 ranger screw lariat
Occupation
Parks and recreation maintenance
What are the chances someone here has rented a uhaul trailer to haul a farm tractor? I'm buying a new to me tractor and the deck on my equipment trailer has rotted out. Said tractor only was 2800lbs and according to my measurements it will fit on a uhaul car hauler
Sponsored

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Without getting into a looong post, your Ranger will not have any problems.
Check out the "Towing" section, and "What are you towing" thread. It will give you lots from what many of us are towing, without any problems.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Piece of cake for the Ranger. But don't tell UHaul. They can occasionally get weird about those trailers. So if they ask make up a car make/model.

R_Willis

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Cherokee
I hauled a 900lb Spartan lawn mowing tractor on a U-Haul rent trailer. Not quite the same though.

OP
OP
Crow_of_judgement

Crow_of_judgement

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 ranger screw lariat
Occupation
Without getting into a looong post, your Ranger will not have any problems.
Check out the "Towing" section, and "What are you towing" thread. It will give you lots from what many of us are towing, without any problems.
I figured Shelly would handle it, I was more interested in if uhaul would even let me rent a trailer if i mentioned it was for a tractor. My bad I should have specified that

OP
OP
Crow_of_judgement

Crow_of_judgement

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 ranger screw lariat
Occupation
Piece of cake for the Ranger. But don't tell UHaul. They can occasionally get weird about those trailers. So if they ask make up a car make/model.
That's what I was wondering. Perhaps I'll just tell them I'm hauling a 1953 ford and conveniently forget what model it is

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
I usually just pick something completely innocuous. '2002 Honda Civic'. Not once have I actually been asked at the pickup point.

--Edit to Add--

I always book the trailer online and then go pick it up. Whether they ask less questions that way I don't know, since I've never called or stopped by in person to do the deal.

Usually just show up, sign their stuff and off I go.

Last edited:

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Crow_of_judgement

Crow_of_judgement

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 ranger screw lariat
Occupation
1953 Ford ? Now we need a picture.
I'll take some when I pick it up it's nothing fancy, just an 8n ford. I grew up cutting hay on one and am at that age where I want some of the old memories back.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'll take some when I pick it up it's nothing fancy, just an 8n ford. I grew up cutting hay on one and am at that age where I want some of the old memories back.
Hi William,

I drove a case tractor in Conway Springs Kansas for my Uncle at harvest...pulling a wheat hauling trailer following a Combine until full and driving out of the fields to the Farm on main roads and then unhook and pick up an empty Trailer. I was 8 years old...

Best,
Phil

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
That's awesome. Congratulations. Looking foreword to pictures.

This one is getting a little refurbishment and a face lift.

PXL_20230208_204306917.MP.jpg

OP
OP
Crow_of_judgement

Crow_of_judgement

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 ranger screw lariat
Occupation
That's awesome. Congratulations. Looking foreword to pictures.

This one is getting a little refurbishment and a face lift.

PXL_20230208_204306917.MP.jpg
Very nice, I haven't decided if this one will get a full restore to live out an easy life of pulling a parade float full of girlscouts or just a quick refresh and then get put back to work on the farm. I'm currently brush hogging / maintaining 90 acres with a yanmar ym2000 and she's in dire need of an engine rebuild but with growing season quickly approaching I've got to figure something out quickly.
The same guy I'm getting the 8n from also has a rather nice diesel massey 35 I may make an offer on just to have in case Jenny (my yanmar) goes down.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
1953 Ford ? Now we need a picture.
My grandad had one of that vintage. I'd love to know how many miles that thing racked up over the years. He sold it when they moved here to GA and the thing would still start with 1 crank (Starter had been broken forever and he never bothered to fix it). Granted, it used some oil, and was probably never maintained very well, but that thing put in decades of HARD work, pulling a New Holland gas-powered Super 77 baler (which is pretty much the most terrifying piece of equipment EVER when you're a young kid) and hay wagon, year after year.

OP
OP
Crow_of_judgement

Crow_of_judgement

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 ranger screw lariat
Occupation
My grandad had one of that vintage. I'd love to know how many miles that thing racked up over the years. He sold it when they moved here to GA and the thing would still start with 1 crank (Starter had been broken forever and he never bothered to fix it). Granted, it used some oil, and was probably never maintained very well, but that thing put in decades of HARD work, pulling a New Holland gas-powered Super 77 baler (which is pretty much the most terrifying piece of equipment EVER when you're a young kid) and hay wagon, year after year.
Unfortunately the tractor I grew up on had a fuel line break and caught fire destroying it, and roughly 15 acres of hay field. My grandfather bought it new and never bought anything modern (even when he died in 2004 he still had a wood burning stove to cook on) so that old 8n must of had a million miles on it with very minimal maintenance.
Sponsored