Has Anybody Pieced Together an 8" OEM System From eBay?

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm considering options for my Ranger, and I'd like to know if anybody has experience putting their own OEM system together with parts from eBay. If you did this, was it as easy as hooking it all up and taking it to the dealership to get flashed for your VIN? Thank you!

ETA: Also, if I go this route and use the lower HVAC control panel and guts from a dual zone truck, would it then work with dual-zone climate control, or is there more to it?
Sponsored

Last edited:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
That sounds like an ambitious project John. Why stop at 8”? I say, if you’re going to do it, go bigger!

IMG_6125.jpeg

;)

Also, I was a bit confused by your thread title, so I Googled it. Now our home computer is getting ads for OnlyFans and Mrs. DukeCanBuildit isn’t too pleased with me right now.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
I'm considering options for my Ranger, and I'd like to know if anybody has experience putting their own OEM system together with parts from eBay. If you did this, was it as easy as hooking it all up and taking it to the dealership to get flashed for your VIN? Thank you!

ETA: Also, if I go this route and use the lower HVAC control panel and guts from a dual zone truck, would it then work with dual-zone climate control, or is there more to it?
You mean like this?

This member @theanswer3 did it:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/upgrading-factory-4-sync-lite-display-300a.5597/post-168070

So did @abelljo :
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/4-to-8-sync-upgraded-from-intelligent1tech.27152/

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
You will not gain, full dual zone climate control since the HVAC box only has 1 temperature door actuator.
You will not be able to set (separate) temp outputs.

To answer your question, yes, a pieced together system from Ebay or salvage yard will work.
But getting a dealer to program a system (OUTSIDE) of factory settings will be a challenge.
There is a reason Forscan was created, and this is it.

It is hard to explain in a simple do this and that as the trim levels and features will atler exactly what needs to be done.

I was bored and curious and dove into the 2 modules - APIM and FCIM - As-Built Data

If you take your VIN# and use As-Built Data and then compare the data to a Lariat Package, you can compare side by side what needs changed.

The FCIM has 4 data lines that are Vin# related, this is the front bezel with the buttons.
The FCIM has 4 data lines that tie into the trim features that the truck has, Heated Seats, Heated Mirrors etc.

The APIM: Has 8 data lines that change, and these depend on PB Start, Ambient Lighting, Park Sensors 4ea vs 8ea) etc.

The main ones that stand out that change for the upgrade are enabling HD & Sat Radio, the 2nd USB port, Nav and Bluetooth and the Internal Gyro.

If you do some As-Built compares and only focus on the FCIM and APIM data, you can see the data lines that differ.

Note those Data Lines then:

Now the next step is to use the F-150 Spreadsheet and Cyan Labs As-Built Database to breakdown what each Line actually means (feature on/off)
The Cyan Labs Data Base is very helpfull for this.

Using a Data Line Breakdown from above source:

Then by some detective work, do you have that feature (Ex: Heated Seats) you leave that line as is and leave it disabled.

4D Tech and related sites that sell the upgrades:

They have done the leg work for you for a PRICE

What 4D-Tech has done for you (is they have programmed the 2 modules) by using your VIN # to only change the required data lines to enable the extra features - HD / Sat/ Nav Etc and dumb down the features that your truck does not have like heated mirrors and seats
The main thing they program is the VIN# to the FCIM, the APIM does not require a VIN# specific program.
All this can be done with Forscan, which I believe 4-D Tech is using to program it anyway.

I am hoping my half-axx explination helps, it's something you would half to compare and see for yourself, and then you would see a clearer picture.

So, lets say you were to buy a system off of Ebay, you can use the VIN# from that sales listing or any online sales listing to get the VIN# for As-Built data Comparisions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
You will not gain, full dual zone climate control since the HVAC box only has 1 temperature door actuator.
You will not be able to set (separate) temp outputs.

To answer your question, yes, a pieced together system from Ebay or salvage yard will work.
But getting a dealer to program a system (OUTSIDE) of factory settings will be a challenge.
There is a reason Forscan was created, and this is it.
Thank you for the time to answer that! I think I will forget the idea of having dual-zone HVAC. I'm toying with upgrading to the 8" screen and Sirius. Hmmmmmm... 🤔

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the time to answer that! I think I will forget the idea of having dual-zone HVAC. I'm toying with upgrading to the 8" screen and Sirius. Hmmmmmm... 🤔
IMG_6126.gif
Sponsored