HAM Radio Intalled

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
My antenna is on a home made mount at the left rear of the truck. The coax runs under the bed and comes into the cab at the left rear corner. There is a rubber grommet which you can easily get at by pulling back the carpet at the lower left corner. You don't need to remove it all.
Sponsored

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
That looks like a great setup! any idea how much it would cost to have a company do it for me?
I know two companies that do conversions for police vehicles, one company that builds police / fire mobile command centers (think RV) and several high end Auto-Tainment Detail Radio Tint Shops (Scottsdale)in the Greater Phoenix AZ area.

None and I mean NONE of them will get within 10 feet of a Ham radio. Why? Because they have all been burned by overly picky, overly grumpy, overly cheap Ham Operators who wanted to come back on them when the radio didn't perform as expected or because they didn't like how the cables were crimped or what ever. We have ruined our own options.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
My antenna is on a home made mount at the left rear of the truck. The coax runs under the bed and comes into the cab at the left rear corner. There is a rubber grommet which you can easily get at by pulling back the carpet at the lower left corner. You don't need to remove it all.
Are you perhaps talking about the plug right behind this part of the carpet?

1121201502.jpg

davewalker12000

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Retired
Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply. I wrongly worded part of my previous post. I meant to say I have a hard tri-fold. It sits on top of the bed. It's the extang solid fold 2.0.
I am new to these forums and this question is off topic for the Ham radio. About your Extang solid fold 2.0. Are you happy with it and does it leak very much and how secure do you feel leaving anything in the bed?
Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Dave W.

jjoinson

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I am new to these forums and this question is off topic for the Ham radio. About your Extang solid fold 2.0. Are you happy with it and does it leak very much and how secure do you feel leaving anything in the bed?
Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Dave W.
Hi Dave,

Yes, I've been happy with the solid fold. I've taken several trips and not worried about leaving anything in the bed. As for leaking, I seen a wet spot here or there but I'm pretty certain it's not from the cover or weather stripping. I'm actually replacing it with a retractable as I've added a bed rack.
Hope this helps.

John

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend 2.7L Mid Package 4.27
I know two companies that do conversions for police vehicles, one company that builds police / fire mobile command centers (think RV) and several high end Auto-Tainment Detail Radio Tint Shops (Scottsdale)in the Greater Phoenix AZ area.

None and I mean NONE of them will get within 10 feet of a Ham radio. Why? Because they have all been burned by overly picky, overly grumpy, overly cheap Ham Operators who wanted to come back on them when the radio didn't perform as expected or because they didn't like how the cables were crimped or what ever. We have ruined our own options.
Reminds of a youtube channel called notarubicon. He always talks about sad hams ruining the hobby.

SAD-HAM_amateur_Radio.jpg

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Reminds of a youtube channel called notarubicon. He always talks about sad hams ruining the hobby.

SAD-HAM_amateur_Radio.jpg
YES!

Ham Radio is GREAT as an auxiliary or amending hobby. It really enhances a lot of other hobbies. But there are these F-ing Purists that just want to sit in their homes, rag chew on the 160 meter band with a guy that lives 5 miles away. Then they poop all over everyone else. It is sad.

Love Notarubicon too. He's the a$$hole everyone needs but doesn't know it.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
YES!

Ham Radio is GREAT as an auxiliary or amending hobby. It really enhances a lot of other hobbies. But there are these F-ing Purists that just want to sit in their homes, rag chew on the 160 meter band with a guy that lives 5 miles away. Then they poop all over everyone else. It is sad.

Love Notarubicon too. He's the a$$hole everyone needs but doesn't know it.
160m is so noisy you can barely hear people 5 miles away. The only time I ever hear anyone on it is when they are one full wave bounce away which is like 2300 miles.
That said ham gear is usually spectrally pure and it’s led everything and phone chargers that poop on the band without any consequence.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Msfitoy

First Name