HAM Radio Audio

Fjsteven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 Sport
I am planning out my HAM radio install. I want to make it as clean as possible. That means the main radio body will be hidden away and only the faceplate will be visible. Usually thie audio is routed through an external speaker. I do t really want to mount an external speaker anywhere.

Anyone know of any ways to connect the 3.5mm audio out of the Radio to the Sync system to pipe audio through the vehicle speakers?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I have a Bluetooth transmitter that I use for headphones. Some purists say that’s not allowed on ham, but I treat it as a really long headphone cable.

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
I think Bluetooth would be the answer, the best Bluetooth adapter I have found is from Sena, I have messed around with cheaper but the Sena is flawless in repeated connections without having to reset, that is what I use to get XM to my headset while riding the bike.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think Bluetooth would be the answer, the best Bluetooth adapter I have found is from Sena, I have messed around with cheaper but the Sena is flawless in repeated connections without having to reset, that is what I use to get XM to my headset while riding the bike.

I've looked everywhere for a full duplex bluetooth adapter. What I really want to do is use VOX or PTT from a bluetooth headset to key the rig. It would be awesome if I could find something like that, but so far I've been unlucky with the (chinese) models I've tried out.

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
I have a drawer full of the $30-40 Bluetooth adapters, they worked ok but many times would have to repeat the pairing process. No such problem with the Sena. They have 3 adapters, none with VOX or PTT, My Sena 10C Pro headset has VOX but sounds like you want something that takes over the audio in the truck much like your phone would. There are some sharp tech type guys on here, maybe they have an answer.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a drawer full of the $30-40 Bluetooth adapters, they worked ok but many times would have to repeat the pairing process. No such problem with the Sena. They have 3 adapters, none with VOX or PTT, My Sena 10C Pro headset has VOX but sounds like you want something that takes over the audio in the truck much like your phone would. There are some sharp tech type guys on here, maybe they have an answer.
A wireless headset with PTT (for the ham radio), or basically VOX on the transceiver with a button on the headset that sends the audio to the transceiver activating the VOX on that end would do it. Guess I'll have to invent something.

Ranger305

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Oxford White Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired!
Vehicle Showcase
I use an 'old school' 3.5mm plug into a 3" speaker mounted under the driver's seat. Faceplate for the ic-2730 fits nicely just below the P R N D S on the dash.

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I have a small Kenwood 3" round speaker with its own mounting bracket mounted to a large washer as a base plate sitting in the storage area under the dash (where the two USB ports are). Short cable from it to the body of the radio under the passenger seat. Simple, no Bluetooth hassle and provides lots of audio.