First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
I've been trying to buy (off Craigslist/OfferUp) a solid wood gun cabinet.
Jeanie has gotten tired of me talking about it and trying to get a nice used one and has insisted I buy a new one for myself (Yes, I'm well aware of how awesome my wife is, and am trying not to take advantage of her).

My problem is finding a solid/mostly solid wood cabinet here in the Phoenix area, and am now having to shop online for such a creature. I have come to find they are significantly more expensive than the Craigslist versions....

You guys are experienced and deeply connected with such things. Have you any recommendations/warnings to share while I search? I have found these two websites and see lots that I like, but am a little overwhelmed at the prices (don't even think Amish made...)

https://premierguncabinet.com/collections/solid-wood-gun-cabinets
https://www.gunsafes.com/Scout-Gun-Cabinets.html?sort=PriceAsc

Thanks in advance for any help/links/pics you care to share!

Chris
I agree with AZScorpion. A safe is, well, much safer. Furniture is nice but in the world today one cannot be too careful with their firearms.
I know I would have a hard time replacing several of mine. Even with the insurance money many of mine just cannot be replaced. Even the modern firearms would be tough to replace in this current climate.
Something to think about. Good luck with your search!

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I agree with AZScorpion. A safe is, well, much safer. Furniture is nice but in the world today one cannot be too careful with their firearms.
I know I would have a hard time replacing several of mine. Even with the insurance money many of mine just cannot be replaced. Even the modern firearms would be tough to replace in this current climate.
Something to think about. Good luck with your search!
I've given this some thought since your replies (thanks, guys!), and have concluded that while a safe is safer, I want to be able to see the handful of long guns I have. Where I grew up (very southern VA), everyone seemed to have gun cabinets to display their weapons. My daddy had two cabinets he built into the walls of our house. I miss my daddy more and more the older I get, and would like to be able to glance at the guns of his I still have and remember good times. Us men being so visually stimulated and all...
So yeah. I do think I want a cabinet and not a safe (for now, anyways!)

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I recently invested in a Zanotti Armor safe (zanottiarmor.com). I got the Z3 5 ft version, it's about a $2500 INVESTMENT. It will easily last my lifetime and my sons. Best thing about it, other than the quality and panel thickness, is the fact that it comes apart if you ever need to move it. Pull some pins on the inside, and it each panel comes off. After 22 yrs in the military, I have moving down to a science, and my next move will be much easier without lugging around a 4-500 pound safe. With this safe, I feel comfortable that my guns and valuables (jewelry, cash, etc) are less likely to be stolen....you can't pry one of these open like most gun "safes" you see at the big box stores....not sure if you have any local issues with crack or meth heads breaking in and stealing stuff....I'd hate to see one of those low-lifes steal your family heirlooms by busting the glass on a gun cabinet. Here's a great video about the reality of gun safes....a little long, but very informative.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I recently invested in a Zanotti Armor safe (zanottiarmor.com). I got the Z3 5 ft version, it's about a $2500 INVESTMENT. It will easily last my lifetime and my sons. Best thing about it, other than the quality and panel thickness, is the fact that it comes apart if you ever need to move it. Pull some pins on the inside, and it each panel comes off. After 22 yrs in the military, I have moving down to a science, and my next move will be much easier without lugging around a 4-500 pound safe. With this safe, I feel comfortable that my guns and valuables (jewelry, cash, etc) are less likely to be stolen....you can't pry one of these open like most gun "safes" you see at the big box stores....not sure if you have any local issues with crack or meth heads breaking in and stealing stuff....I'd hate to see one of those low-lifes steal your family heirlooms by busting the glass on a gun cabinet. Here's a great video about the reality of gun safes....a little long, but very informative.
Thanks for sharing. It only takes one time........
Family heirlooms are not difficult to replace. They are impossible to replace.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Just about every safe can be breached one way or another. I always say buy the best safe you can afford and make sure you have other lines of security in place. I have an alarm and cameras all around the inside and outside of my house. All the interior ones I turn on the motion so I get notifications when I leave. The way I look at it is someone is going to have to work very fast and hard to get into my house and safe. If they get that far they deserve whatever they can get. If I'm home, well it won't be a good outcome for them. lol

Burgler Me.png

KnightRanger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2016 Harley FLSS,
Vehicle Showcase
Found pics of my old school Colt Pythons...thought I’d share it here. :)
(The 69 Nickel 4” was in mint condition when I found it at LGS few years ago) The 6 inch blue and stainless were from circa 70’s, 80’s.

BFF643A9-6045-4A7C-850E-384F5BEB5AF2.jpeg

84D86CBD-53ED-4FAF-A635-52F66C93C26F.jpeg

D9F4D558-6F26-4B2A-AE00-89B80CA8F098.jpeg

3E02B371-2B7C-4423-ACEB-F1092EA3EEF9.jpeg

6B7E75C6-8F2D-415F-833F-E1DCBF5A1897.jpeg

T Bone

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Southern Adirondack Mountains of upstate NY
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired!!!!
here is a neat toy i stumbled on, if you have a ruger 10/22 and live in a blue state where large capacity magazines are a no no, here is a solution even if you live in a state like NY its called an alangator and will hold 3 regular 10/22 mags for loading them faster.
alangator.jpg

trimag.jpg
trimag2.jpg
trimag3.jpg

KnightRanger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2016 Harley FLSS,
Vehicle Showcase
here is a neat toy i stumbled on, if you have a ruger 10/22 and live in a blue state where large capacity magazines, here is a solution even if you live in a state like NY its called an alangator and will hold 3 regular 10/22 mags for loading them faster.
View attachment 61325 View attachment 61325
trimag.jpg
trimag2.jpg
trimag3.jpg
I gave my wife and daughter their first rifles...
Ruger 10/22.
One is the compact with wood furniture and the other one I installed a Magpul Hunter stock on it.
Now my son will be 18 soon...So he’s getting one also...

I have those exact Tri-mag couplers btw. :)

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
I can't be any help with a wood one the one I bought a couple years ago is a regular steel safe. The wood ones are really nice for display and all but have really no security. Are you looking to display them and do you have another one for security? Only reason I ask is if something ever happened like a fire or a break in they're going to be easy to steal or they won't be protected from fire.

Mines a Champion safe, 10 gauge steel with a 90 minute fire rating and weighs 1150 lbs empty. One piece of advise is get one bigger than you need. This one is twice the size of my old one and it's already full.

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg
What was that combo again??

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
86-75-309. ?
Hi Dave,

I have a good friend that was also a Crew Chief of one of my Ford Offroad Teams...Swift Racing. We were sitting on his patio and he said he was locked out as his wife took the keys to the house. I asked him why he did not use the garage door key pad. He told me he forgot the code (welcome to old age). I pulled out my phone where I had recorded the number as this what I used to check on their house when they were on the road. There comes a time, like for me, the memory dims.

So ... My back stories are because of these forums jogging my memory of things in my career that I did not realize I had retained. I keep thinking that I should just move on, but these forums and the members have been so refreshing to me to burrow into the depts of my memories of my time at Ford.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor

Bart

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT supercrew fx4
Occupation
Software engineer
Just bought 6 more 30 rounders for my AR today, I haven't shot it in months, just thought I'd be proactive in saving some money. As some of you may know these will cost over 200 bucks soon. Hopefully ammo makes a comeback since I haven't been able to buy any, or at least I don't want to empty my pockets to get some. If any gentlemen in AZ know where, please share the love.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is an older photo but it is a few of my Rugers. Top is a Single Six 22, bottom is a GP100 357 Mag, with 45 Colt Blackhawk bookends.
0A0F05AE-A2C2-4D69-9F46-54391581D541.jpeg