Got Smacked by a Coward in Tehachapi

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
I habitually park as far as possible from others...yes, I'm anti-social which also explains why I purchased a SuperCab rather than the Crew...no children and no friends so no need for big doors ;)
While headed to Arizona over the holiday week I stopped in Tehachapi for a quick bite to eat. I parked at the far end of the lot with eleven empty spaced between my truck and the next parked car. Twenty minutes later I came out to find my driver's side tail light assembly shattered and a small dent and paint scrape on the lower end of the box...No note from the coward! Turns out the restaurant camera did get his license and CHP stopped him halfway to Bakersfield.
Ok sh*t happens, I get that and move on but I did end up getting a great validation of my choice of vehicle. His insurance provided me with a rental for the duration of my truck's repair process. I was given a 2019 Toyota Taco Ma, 4x4 with the V6 so now I can compare:
Here we go...

Seat-narrow, hard, basically made for someone 5'8", 150 lbs. I have difficulty with ingress/egress due to low steering column and seat/floor relationship, constantly bumping and dragging my knees under steering wheel...with the column adjusted to it's highest setting.

Dash configuration/ergonomics-a mishmash of toggles, buttons, and dials with several sets of redundant controls, small video screen with fuzzy display, as Spock would say of the layout, "Illogical, Captain." Due to my size (6'4", 230) the window/door lock switches are awkward to access resulting in my fingers finding the door lock buttons most of the time.

Steering wheel-Feels about the same as the Ranger as far as texture/material/workmanship but way too many buttons which makes it easy to turn phone on/off while steering by hand brushing the controls

Sound system-Tinny at best, very limited adjustment for acoustics, radio pre-set configuration confusing and for some reason continues to default/reset to factory settings.

Power-Poor...I step on the throttle to pass and the truck motor looks over it's shoulder at me and says, "What?" before the transmission furiously downshifts to find the motor. The best mileage I have attained is 19.4. I easily average 22.3 with the Ranger and passing is never a problem.

Handling-Stodgy...it feels like an extremely long wheel base vehicle in parking lots and on winding roads...not nimble like my Ranger. It is smoother riding...less "active" suspension wise than the Ranger but I haven't gone off-road with it so I don't know how that translates...I do know the Ranger feels great in rough terrain.

Appearance/Body features-Side view IMO, too blocky and blunt with the hoodline too flat and too high. Otherwise, what is up with the plastic cargo box?

All in all...glad I bleed Ford Blue!

IMG_5787.JPG
Some peoples F'n kids!! That brilliant kid should have just been a soggy spot on the sheets between his parents! We all would be better off...

1618978847601.png
Sponsored

Zeus

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport XLT
Occupation
Commercial Driving Instructor
I actually look for empty spaces that are surrounded by cars. The truck Blends in much better. It's not sitting alone in the back of a parking lot screaming " my owner doesn't want to park next to anybody" . I learned this one when I had t the corvette I never parked it in nowhere land where it could be a target for everybody

I have always found a place between two cars closer to the venue where the truck blends in. You can't ding the doors on a Corvette and you have to hit it pretty hard the crack it.

soooo I just ordered these OEM paint color. They don't look too bad I'm sure they'll protect against door dings As they stick out a little farther than the running boards..

https://www.amazon.com/Dawn-Enterprises-FE-RANGER19-CC-Finished-Compatible/dp/B07NS8RRZL

20191214_132949 (1).jpg
I've learned 20+ years ago not to park near the truck stop building and never park on the end of a lane of parking spots.

There are many rookie truck drivers that are very lazy, tired, and unskilled to whip a 53 foot trailer next to you with only inches from your mirror to theirs. Damage WILL be done.

Same applies to my personal vehicle. I usually look for the open parking spot next to the shopping cart coral. Its a piece of mind knowing at least one side is protected.

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
Interesting details.. embossed "Ranger" text under the tail light plastic. Just put there for those situations that you (or someone else in this case) break your tail lights.

Is it readily visible normally or is it just an easter egg?

OP
OP
Spiritfish

Spiritfish

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Supercab, Lightning Blue
Interesting details.. embossed "Ranger" text under the tail light plastic. Just put there for those situations that you (or someone else in this case) break your tail lights.

Is it readily visible normally or is it just an easter egg?
Not sure...will have to take a look tonight when the lights are on...

stringbreaker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I actually look for empty spaces that are surrounded by cars. The truck Blends in much better. It's not sitting alone in the back of a parking lot screaming " my owner doesn't want to park next to anybody" . I learned this one when I had t the corvette I never parked it in nowhere land where it could be a target for everybody

I have always found a place between two cars closer to the venue where the truck blends in. You can't ding the doors on a Corvette and you have to hit it pretty hard the crack it.

soooo I just ordered these OEM paint color. They don't look too bad I'm sure they'll protect against door dings As they stick out a little farther than the running boards..

https://www.amazon.com/Dawn-Enterprises-FE-RANGER19-CC-Finished-Compatible/dp/B07NS8RRZL

20191214_132949 (1).jpg
I would get some but they don't come in Chili pepper red

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
lol he harvested the pieces. IDK why that just sounds funny. Anyway, hopefully he pays for being a no good bastard. With tech these days I'd rather take the possible increase in my insurance than risk a probable hit and run. Who knows maybe he has an active warrant or something.
Weather it’s out of pocket or insurance premium boost he’s gonna wince when he finds out the repair bill. Love to see his face when he gets handed it! ?
Sponsored