Got Smacked by a Coward in Tehachapi

Spiritfish

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Supercab, Lightning Blue
I habitually park as far as possible from others...yes, I'm anti-social which also explains why I purchased a SuperCab rather than the Crew...no children and no friends so no need for big doors ;)
While headed to Arizona over the holiday week I stopped in Tehachapi for a quick bite to eat. I parked at the far end of the lot with eleven empty spaced between my truck and the next parked car. Twenty minutes later I came out to find my driver's side tail light assembly shattered and a small dent and paint scrape on the lower end of the box...No note from the coward! Turns out the restaurant camera did get his license and CHP stopped him halfway to Bakersfield.
Ok sh*t happens, I get that and move on but I did end up getting a great validation of my choice of vehicle. His insurance provided me with a rental for the duration of my truck's repair process. I was given a 2019 Toyota Taco Ma, 4x4 with the V6 so now I can compare:
Here we go...

Seat-narrow, hard, basically made for someone 5'8", 150 lbs. I have difficulty with ingress/egress due to low steering column and seat/floor relationship, constantly bumping and dragging my knees under steering wheel...with the column adjusted to it's highest setting.

Dash configuration/ergonomics-a mishmash of toggles, buttons, and dials with several sets of redundant controls, small video screen with fuzzy display, as Spock would say of the layout, "Illogical, Captain." Due to my size (6'4", 230) the window/door lock switches are awkward to access resulting in my fingers finding the door lock buttons most of the time.

Steering wheel-Feels about the same as the Ranger as far as texture/material/workmanship but way too many buttons which makes it easy to turn phone on/off while steering by hand brushing the controls

Sound system-Tinny at best, very limited adjustment for acoustics, radio pre-set configuration confusing and for some reason continues to default/reset to factory settings.

Power-Poor...I step on the throttle to pass and the truck motor looks over it's shoulder at me and says, "What?" before the transmission furiously downshifts to find the motor. The best mileage I have attained is 19.4. I easily average 22.3 with the Ranger and passing is never a problem.

Handling-Stodgy...it feels like an extremely long wheel base vehicle in parking lots and on winding roads...not nimble like my Ranger. It is smoother riding...less "active" suspension wise than the Ranger but I haven't gone off-road with it so I don't know how that translates...I do know the Ranger feels great in rough terrain.

Appearance/Body features-Side view IMO, too blocky and blunt with the hoodline too flat and too high. Otherwise, what is up with the plastic cargo box?

All in all...glad I bleed Ford Blue!

IMG_5787.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP
Spiritfish

Spiritfish

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thought I would add this...
577 miles with one stop for food/gas so basically non-stop driving...extremely comfortable the entire trip. Return drive a week later...same except it was raining and snowing the entire trip...love the heated seats!

IMG_5842.JPG

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I habitually park as far as possible from others...yes, I'm anti-social which also explains why I purchased a SuperCab rather than the Crew...no children and no friends so no need for big doors ;)
While headed to Arizona over the holiday week I stopped in Tehachapi for a quick bite to eat. I parked at the far end of the lot with eleven empty spaced between my truck and the next parked car. Twenty minutes later I came out to find my driver's side tail light assembly shattered and a small dent and paint scrape on the lower end of the box...No note from the coward! Turns out the restaurant camera did get his license and CHP stopped him halfway to Bakersfield.
Ok sh*t happens, I get that and move on but I did end up getting a great validation of my choice of vehicle. His insurance provided me with a rental for the duration of my truck's repair process. I was given a 2019 Toyota Taco Ma, 4x4 with the V6 so now I can compare:
Here we go...

Seat-narrow, hard, basically made for someone 5'8", 150 lbs. I have difficulty with ingress/egress due to low steering column and seat/floor relationship, constantly bumping and dragging my knees under steering wheel...with the column adjusted to it's highest setting.

Dash configuration/ergonomics-a mishmash of toggles, buttons, and dials with several sets of redundant controls, small video screen with fuzzy display, as Spock would say of the layout, "Illogical, Captain." Due to my size (6'4", 230) the window/door lock switches are awkward to access resulting in my fingers finding the door lock buttons most of the time.

Steering wheel-Feels about the same as the Ranger as far as texture/material/workmanship but way too many buttons which makes it easy to turn phone on/off while steering by hand brushing the controls

Sound system-Tinny at best, very limited adjustment for acoustics, radio pre-set configuration confusing and for some reason continues to default/reset to factory settings.

Power-Poor...I step on the throttle to pass and the truck motor looks over it's shoulder at me and says, "What?" before the transmission furiously downshifts to find the motor. The best mileage I have attained is 19.4. I easily average 22.3 with the Ranger and passing is never a problem.

Handling-Stodgy...it feels like an extremely long wheel base vehicle in parking lots and on winding roads...not nimble like my Ranger. It is smoother riding...less "active" suspension wise than the Ranger but I haven't gone off-road with it so I don't know how that translates...I do know the Ranger feels great in rough terrain.

Appearance/Body features-Side view IMO, too blocky and blunt with the hoodline too flat and too high. Otherwise, what is up with the plastic cargo box?

All in all...glad I bleed Ford Blue!
Sorry to hear about your Ranger and it's to bad that some people just can't do the right thing anymore. In case there were any doubts about your Ranger purchase at least you have the opportunity to drive the Tacoma and see for yourself why a lot of us here dumped ours too. Your assessment of the Tacoma is pretty spot on as I traded in my 2016 and have zero regrets! Hope your Ranger gets fixed soon.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I actually look for empty spaces that are surrounded by cars. The truck Blends in much better. It's not sitting alone in the back of a parking lot screaming " my owner doesn't want to park next to anybody" . I learned this one when I had t the corvette I never parked it in nowhere land where it could be a target for everybody

I have always found a place between two cars closer to the venue where the truck blends in. You can't ding the doors on a Corvette and you have to hit it pretty hard the crack it.

soooo I just ordered these OEM paint color. They don't look too bad I'm sure they'll protect against door dings As they stick out a little farther than the running boards..

https://www.amazon.com/Dawn-Enterprises-FE-RANGER19-CC-Finished-Compatible/dp/B07NS8RRZL

20191214_132949 (1).jpg

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
You will not be disappointed in those Tom. They have grown on me in a short time as the truck was made with them.
Be sure to install above 60 degrees for a good stick. They come with some adhesion promoter.
I definitely sleep better at night knowing they're protecting out there in the wild with all these yahoo's who don't give a crap because you have something nice.

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
Interesting and informative post - I spent many hours a what I presume is the Taco site equivalent to this one and that steered me towards Ranger besides that I auction drive for the Ford dealer in my little town and had a chance to do a dealer swap driving two difference Rangers 200 miles each. Almost 2000 miles and loving it.

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Test drove the Tacoma before settling on the Ranger and my impressions were pretty much the same as yours. I'm 6'2", and found the driving position uncomfortable and couldn't imagine long trips in it. The Ranger had far superior handling, especially on the highway.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
I parked at the far end of the lot with eleven empty spaced between my truck and the next parked car. Twenty minutes later I came out to find my driver's side tail light assembly shattered and a small dent and paint scrape on the lower end of the box...No note from the coward! Turns out the restaurant camera did get his license and CHP stopped him halfway to Bakersfield.
Thanks for the comparison. A lot of us only got a 15 minute test drive at the dealer so were couldn't glean as much detail as you.

So about that tail light... was it vandalism or an accident? Not really clear from your post.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Thought I would add this...
577 miles with one stop for food/gas so basically non-stop driving...extremely comfortable the entire trip. Return drive a week later...same except it was raining and snowing the entire trip...love the heated seats!
I'm the same way I park way away from other cars IDC if I have to walk a bit further walking is good for ya. I'd be so pissed but at least they got him on camera!
As for the Tacoma I cannot stand Toyota seats I find them really uncomfortable. I'm a huge Ford guy anyway so comfy seats wouldn't have changed my mind. The engine is also a huge plus in the Ranger.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Hello Friend!

How did they hit the light that high up with no other damage?
Was it a lifted truck? Video show anything.
Glad you are enjoying the Ranger.

OP
OP
Spiritfish

Spiritfish

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the comparison. A lot of us only got a 15 minute test drive at the dealer so were couldn't glean as much detail as you.

So about that tail light... was it vandalism or an accident? Not really clear from your post.
I'm thinking accident but due to massive dose of stupidity...when you look at the video you can clearly see that the guy is not even looking at his right side mirror while attempting to pull in next to me. After contact his face was clearly visible showing concern...then intent. He immediately exits his vehicle...finds the pieces of taillight on the ground and harvests them...places them in passenger seat of his vehicle then bails...with no note.

OP
OP
Spiritfish

Spiritfish

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello Friend!

How did they hit the light that high up with no other damage?
Was it a lifted truck? Video show anything.
Glad you are enjoying the Ranger.
It was a late 90's Ford E 250 with extended mirrors...the mirror made contact with the taillight while the bumper chafed the box and bumper.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Ah, I see - accident, then intentional hit and run. I hope he gets slammed with the fullest extent of the law. Let us know how the case proceeds.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
lol he harvested the pieces. IDK why that just sounds funny. Anyway, hopefully he pays for being a no good bastard. With tech these days I'd rather take the possible increase in my insurance than risk a probable hit and run. Who knows maybe he has an active warrant or something.
Sponsored