GM, Toyota and Nissan do it...will Ford?

What box size would you rather have on your Ranger?

• Total voters

brun0

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 CC
Hey fellas,

So I've been holding off waiting to purchase myself a Ranger till later this year for the usual end of the year incentives. One thing I've been wondering, especially since GM, Toyota and Nissan offer this option.. is a long box option on their crew cab models.. does anyone have any insight if Ford will offer the long bed config on their crew cab models for 2020?
Sponsored

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Hey fellas,

So I've been holding off waiting to purchase myself a Ranger till later this year for the usual end of the year incentives. One thing I've been wondering, especially since GM, Toyota and Nissan offer this option.. is a long box option on their crew cab models.. does anyone have any insight if Ford will offer the long bed config on their crew cab models for 2020?
See the following:

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/2020-my-ranger-order-guide-fleet-preview.3841/

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Short answer - they won't however I've found that with the deeper bed and the bed extender it is a workable compromise for the 5 foot bed. I'd still prefer a 6 foot bed with the SuperCrew, but I'm doing just fine with the 5 foot bed with the bed extender when needed.

Knothead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger supercrew FX4, Lariat 501A and chrome package
I don't think we'll see a long bed super crew with this generation of Ranger. The next gen Ranger is due in 2022. I'd expect to see one then.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
I don’t think they will with this generation. Like someone else said, likely in the next generation. If I needed more bed space than what the Ranger offers now I would just get a F-150

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LB Super Crew, 2012 GT500, 2015 VW GSW TDI
Vehicle Showcase
I would have ordered one with it if they offered. But the 5' with bed extender or tailgate down will suit our needs. I'm sure we'll see it at some point once they eat deeper in the market share.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1634

I think the option is always nice to have. And I'm sure it'll be added on the next gen. But personally I wouldn't go for a long box on my crew cab. Sure the bed space is a little short with a 5 footer, especially when I'm picking up lumber or something long like that. But anything longer and it wouldn't fit in my garage, or as easily in parking spaces, or anything like that. Those are the reasons I got a Ranger in the first place (instead of full size). I can definitely see why someone would want a 6' bed with a crew cab, but the cons outweigh the pros for me. I'd much rather have a more small and maneuverable footprint to help with use everyday, than more cargo space to help with use maybe once a month.

I'm one of those darn millennials who uses the Ranger as a "lifestyle" vehicle more than a "real work" vehicle. haha

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I think the option is always nice to have. And I'm sure it'll be added on the next gen. But personally I wouldn't go for a long box on my crew cab. Sure the bed space is a little short with a 5 footer, especially when I'm picking up lumber or something long like that. But anything longer and it wouldn't fit in my garage, or as easily in parking spaces, or anything like that. Those are the reasons I got a Ranger in the first place (instead of full size). I can definitely see why someone would want a 6' bed with a crew cab, but the cons outweigh the pros for me. I'd much rather have a more small and maneuverable footprint to help with use everyday, than more cargo space to help with use maybe once a month.

I'm one of those darn millennials who uses the Ranger as a "lifestyle" vehicle more than a "real work" vehicle. haha
Good points about fitting in the garage. I'm not spending close to $40K and leaving my truck outside all the time. I load up my truck at night so I don't have to do it at 5am and no way would I want to leave it out like this. Even when I had my F 150's I always ordered then with a regular cab short bed (6') and they would just barley fit in the garage. Personally I like the look of the shorter bed and with a bed extender it fits my needs. Also the bed extender (while flipped in) is great for stowing things in the back and corralling them so they're not rolling all the way towards the front.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

This will be a business and Marketing decision to see if the offering is profitable. Once the program is viable, it is up to Truck Engineering and Body and Assembly to deliver. A SuperCrew with a 6' bed will add quite a bit of complexity to the assembly plant. it will likely require a new longer Frame. That means line spacing has to be changed, the distance between trucks on the line. All the things like fuel lines, wiring harnesses etc will have to change...more longer length dirvehsafts may be required. I really doubt the 5G Ranger will be offered in this longer length. That said, if the business equation supports all this tearup, which I highly doubt you would see speculative articles in the Automotive Press. I am not aware of any changes for 2020 of this magnitude from my few remaining contacts inside the company...All seems pretty quiet wrt Ranger for next year. It is possible that Body and Assembly has made provisions for a SuperCrew with a 6' which would make it much more doable..

Anyone now that the Taco take rate for such a package is? If the take rate is quite high, then competitive pressures would drive the decision to add the 6' option to the 5G...if a low take rate...development costs would likely result in things remaining the same...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Anyone now that the Taco take rate for such a package is? If the take rate is quite high, then competitive pressures would drive the decision to add the 6' option to the 5G...if a low take rate...development costs would likely result in things remaining the same...
I can see it from both sides. We have an existing 4WC camper that we used with our old Ranger that requires the 6-ft. bed -- we had no choice on bed size. When the Ranger came out, I was disappointed at first with the lack of the SuperCrew + 6-ft. bed option, but we really didn't like the Tacoma as much so we went with the Ranger SuperCab.

The good: The rear seatbacks in the SuperCab are very flat against the bulkhead, so if all you carry is gear and not passengers, there is nearly as much room for gear in the back as there is in the SuperCrew, although this comes at the expense of passenger comfort. As an added bonus, the seat cushions are easily removable, so you can avoid damaging them with dirty or sharp-edged gear. As someone mentioned, it's easy to fit in most garages. The shorter wheelbase should have better off-road performance, though it may not be an issue for most people.

The bad: If our kids were still young or we needed to carry other rear seat passengers very often, we would have been forced to get a Tacoma, since we absolutely needed the 6-ft. bed. Fortunately that wasn't the case for us, but it will be for some.

I do see quite a few Tacomas with 6-ft. beds and a crew-cab (I forgot what Toyota calls it). I don't know the exact sales rate for it, but the demand must be decent based on the number of them I see. I hope Ford does eventually come on board with it. Anyone who likes the Ranger and wants this option should probably let a dealer know or provide feedback some other way, especially if it causes you to buy something else. We let them know even though we still bought a Ranger. I would be surprised if they aren't at least guaging the demand for it.

Last edited:

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Hi Folks,

This will be a business and Marketing decision to see if the offering is profitable. Once the program is viable, it is up to Truck Engineering and Body and Assembly to deliver. A SuperCrew with a 6' bed will add quite a bit of complexity to the assembly plant. it will likely require a new longer Frame. That means line spacing has to be changed, the distance between trucks on the line. All the things like fuel lines, wiring harnesses etc will have to change...more longer length dirvehsafts may be required. I really doubt the 5G Ranger will be offered in this longer length. That said, if the business equation supports all this tearup, which I highly doubt you would see speculative articles in the Automotive Press. I am not aware of any changes for 2020 of this magnitude from my few remaining contacts inside the company...All seems pretty quiet wrt Ranger for next year. It is possible that Body and Assembly has made provisions for a SuperCrew with a 6' which would make it much more doable..

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Around here there seems to be more 6’ Tacomas but 5’ seems to be more common with the Colorado/Canyons. I have no idea why!

Rick V.

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Scab,63 Fairlane, 22 Scab XLT FX4 302a
Occupation
Fleet bodyman
If Ford would have offered a crew cab with a 6 foot bed I would have bought one instead of a super cab. I wanted the longer bed but it would have been nice to have a second vehicle that could carry five people.
Sponsored