First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Mine was $449.00 installed by my dealer. $349 for the controller and $100 to install. Their guy takes about an hour to install on the lower left side that works best for me being left handed. It's set and forget once the gain is properly set. Really works good with my dump trailer.
I adjust my gain on the fly....

slow stop and go traffic it is turned low to avoid the trailer braking harshly/strongly.
freeway level cruising, turned higher to ad in a quick stop.
freeway/highway descending, turned even higher to keep the trailer in line and stable.
Sponsored

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
I adjust my gain on the fly....

slow stop and go traffic it is turned low to avoid the trailer braking harshly/strongly.
freeway level cruising, turned higher to ad in a quick stop.
freeway/highway descending, turned even higher to keep the trailer in line and stable.
Mine seems to use the truck data to accommodate different speeds without locking brakes. I think it monitors the wheel sensors and adjusts output. The smartest controller I have used. Only gain adjustment is when I go from empty to a 5k pound load. Once set I haven't had to touch it. My factory Silverado controller worked like you say.

sdsteele2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT, 21 Explorer XLT, 22 Ranger XLT
Well, I reached out to my local Ford dealership. They quoted me $600 for labor (parts not included).

It'll be over $900 total... seems like a lot for a brake controller. It is what it is, I guess. Unless I do it myself.
Just so you know, if you order from the Ford accessory site you can get the parts installed for $210. So you would be looking at ~$550 + tax for parts and labor.

https://accessories.ford.com/products/ranger-2019-2021-trailer-brake-control-towing-pack-3

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE

OP
OP

JoshuaH

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT sport
I did not know that. Yes, I do have the factory tow package. So, if I order through the accessories site, pick my location/date, and pay in advance, can a dealership refuse to honor the purchase for some reason?

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I did not know that. Yes, I do have the factory tow package. So, if I order through the accessories site, pick my location/date, and pay in advance, can a dealership refuse to honor the purchase for some reason?
Maybe not outright refuse to do it, but like with other repairs tell you to leave it there for a couple of weeks until they have time to get to it.
There are many posts and videos about DIY. IMO, get the TBC on Levittown for about $250 and give it a go yourself.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
I too am new to towing a trailer with brakes. Towed many boat and utility trailers over the years.

I'm seriously considering the Echo.

Curious about its operation.
What happens when you stop for gas etc. and stop the engine? I think the power to the harness is removed so the Echo shuts down. When you restart does the echo reestablish the Bluetooth connection or do you need to do that manually every time? Does it resume the previous settings? Don't really want to monitor it that closely.

I understand that while moving, if Bluetooth is lost the controller continues with the previous setting.

Thanks for any guidance.
When you stop the engine it will disconnect. Once you start back up, tap the brake so the truck recognizes a trailer is attached and then check the app

Will resume previous settings. Has multiple profiles for different trailers/weights too

Once I get going I forget about it

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
I’ve read that this is Ford’s estimate and not binding for service centers.

Citka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
Is it possible to get the brake signal from the rear brake light and run a wire up to the cab instead of having to pull the headliner and accompanying trim pieces? I realize it's a longer run, but the brake light can be easily accessed by the two 8mm screws that hold the brake light housing in place. Running a wire up along the frame rail is simple.

Mike H

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 White Lariat Tremor and 21 Escape Ti
Occupation
IT
When you stop the engine it will disconnect. Once you start back up, tap the brake so the truck recognizes a trailer is attached and then check the app

Will resume previous settings. Has multiple profiles for different trailers/weights too

Once I get going I forget about it
Thanks for the response. I think the Echo will be my choice when I get a trailer. I was hoping that it would reconnect like my bluetooth speaker does.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Is it possible to get the brake signal from the rear brake light and run a wire up to the cab instead of having to pull the headliner and accompanying trim pieces? I realize it's a longer run, but the brake light can be easily accessed by the two 8mm screws that hold the brake light housing in place. Running a wire up along the frame rail is simple.
If you do this, how does the brake controller know that the signal is from a braking event instead of the turn signal? That is why the OEM system gets the signal from the center brake light.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
I was worried about pulling the headliner too but it's not that bad. Just take your time and don't use excessive force. I removed the 3rd brake light to give me more play in the wires which helped.

Citka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
Thank you. The observation about using the tail light and the controller being confused by a brake light is a valid point. Headliner it is.

bentroia

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics