Getting a brake controller installed

Psycho78

First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
I have an Echo only because it was given to me with a camper I bought and I keep it since it goes on any vehicle. It's been used on a few vehicles no issues, However, it does not work correctly on my 2020 XLT (with factory tow package) so I am installing the Redarc one myself. For some reason, it wont brake with the pedal. It should get the signal from the brake light when plugged in but when I watch the app showing how much braking is activated... nothing. But If I press the button on the app it brakes immediately.

Honestly, I've always liked hardwired controllers much more so I don't really care, but it is annoying that it doesn't work on the Ranger. I even cranked the braking power all the way up and nothing. It's just a light off-road camper so is easy to feel it braking and pulling the truck when applied via the button.
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I have an Echo only because it was given to me with a camper I bought and I keep it since it goes on any vehicle. It's been used on a few vehicles no issues, However, it does not work correctly on my 2020 XLT (with factory tow package) so I am installing the Redarc one myself. For some reason, it wont brake with the pedal. It should get the signal from the brake light when plugged in but when I watch the app showing how much braking is activated... nothing. But If I press the button on the app it brakes immediately.

Honestly, I've always liked hardwired controllers much more so I don't really care, but it is annoying that it doesn't work on the Ranger. I even cranked the braking power all the way up and nothing. It's just a light off-road camper so is easy to feel it braking and pulling the truck when applied via the button.
other people have reported that the echo works fine; I think there may have been mention of a firmware update

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
An update to the Echo?
yeah. I vaguely recall some early reports that it didn't work and later reports that it did. Anyway, it might be worth contacting curt's support because it's not something that "shouldn't" work.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
If you do this, how does the brake controller know that the signal is from a braking event instead of the turn signal? That is why the OEM system gets the signal from the center brake light.
Because the Ranger has a proper taillight setup with separate brake (red) and turn (amber) signals. But I would not suggest installing it any other way than as directed by Ford, BCM with power load sensors are picky about things getting tapped into them.
Sponsored