Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Please. Stop. This.

Many years in petroleum business. Too much gasoline experience. Please. Stop. Seriously. If not for yourself then do it for the others around you.
In order for gasoline vapor to combust it must reach a very specific range of 2-8% of the airs volume. Less than 2%, not enough fuel, more than 8%, not enough oxygen.

It is highly unlikely that you'll get that concentation of vapor anywhere near an ignotion source.

Also, what about the cars arriving and leaving right next to you? Should they be shutting off their engine and pushing their cars into the fuel bay?
And the clever engineers at the Ford Motor Company put the exhaust pipe on the opposite side of the truck.
On point, in most states it is illegal to smoke or have the motor running while fueling.
The majority of rules and laws are for keeping stupid people alive.

Those of us with a bit of common sense can ignore a lot of them.:wink:
Sponsored

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Nope - When I gas up it goes straight to full when I start the truck. When I leave the key in and system booted but engine off and fill it up I can watch the needle and mileage to empty steadily ticking up in near real time. But then I got a 19 before they stared deleting features so...?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranger3

Ranger3

First Name
Dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Xlt Sport 4x4
Occupation
Store Mgr
I also have a 20 but like I said it doesn't happen all the time it only happened twice in 3 years maybe it was just a hiccup

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon

Post of the day right there. :like:
I'd add warning labels in that category also.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
In order for gasoline vapor to combust it must reach a very specific range of 2-8% of the airs volume. Less than 2%, not enough fuel, more than 8%, not enough oxygen.

It is highly unlikely that you'll get that concentation of vapor anywhere near an ignotion source.

Also, what about the cars arriving and leaving right next to you? Should they be shutting off their engine and pushing their cars into the fuel bay?

You use a curling iron in the bathtub too I guess. ?

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
If you can throw a lit cigarette into a can of gas, and it goes out, whats the problem with gassing up while engine running?

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Program Manager

I'll add to that...
The turn off engine when fueling doesn't apply to Diesel despite much higher exhaust gas temps. And they fuel up right next to Petrol / Gasoline engines.

And the rule for petrol / gasoline fueled engines has it's roots in the days when we drove Model-T's. Essentially the gas pump was a large gravity fed hose with no auto shut off and the car had nothing to not much in the way of a muffler. Backfires were common, flames out the tail pipe were common, even a pop of flame out the intake wasn't unheard of.

I don't refuel running but I could do so safely with all of the vapor recovery systems, auto shut off pumps, catalytic converters, mufflers, electronic fuel injection / direct port fuel injection, better spark-plugs that ensure far less unburned fuel in the exhaust and most cars that vent the exhaust on the opposite side of the car from the fuel.

Generators and mowers on the other hand? Not only do they need to be off, they need to be COOL so you don't overflow gasoline onto a hot manifold.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I'll add to that...
The turn off engine when fueling doesn't apply to Diesel despite much higher exhaust gas temps. And they fuel up right next to Petrol / Gasoline engines.

And the rule for petrol / gasoline fueled engines has it's roots in the days when we drove Model-T's. Essentially the gas pump was a large gravity fed hose with no auto shut off and the car had nothing to not much in the way of a muffler. Backfires were common, flames out the tail pipe were common, even a pop of flame out the intake wasn't unheard of.

I don't refuel running but I could do so safely with all of the vapor recovery systems, auto shut off pumps, catalytic converters, mufflers, electronic fuel injection / direct port fuel injection, better spark-plugs that ensure far less unburned fuel in the exhaust and most cars that vent the exhaust on the opposite side of the car from the fuel.

Generators and mowers on the other hand? Not only do they need to be off, they need to be COOL so you don't overflow gasoline onto a hot manifold.
Agreed whole heartedly. I'll admit, my habit started when I started milkmaning for a living. When I started our fleet was pretty rough. Standard rule was once you got that pig going you'd never shut it off out of fear it might not start again. Considering I fuel a milktruck up 5x a week and my personal once, it was only a matter of time before the habbit bled over.

Also agreed on the small engine point. Like I said in an earlier posts, I know enough to keep away from the hot/sparky bits.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Program Manager
We had a neighbor do something assininely stoopid....

It was after Hurricane Ike. No electricity for a few weeks. He wanted to fuel up his generator and was out of Jerry Can Gas.

So while his generator is running, he tries to siphon gas out of his PT Cruiser (that's parked in the garage) directly into the running generator's gas tank.

You guessed it. Whole garage went up and there was NO cell service or land line service to call 911. Fire department came when they saw the smoke. Lost his garage, kitchen, about 1/3 of his house, two cars, and a generator. Even his asphalt driveway burned up about 10 feet back from the house.

So there's a time and place you can and a time and place you can't. Most people don't have the skills to know the difference so we get overly generic, one size fits all rules. We can't have smart people safely doing dangerous things because dumb people will see it, have delusions of competency, and and try it too.

I'm thinking warning labels were the worst thing to happen to Darwinism, but hey that's just me. ;-)

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond

It was after Hurricane Ike. No electricity for a few weeks. He wanted to fuel up his generator and was out of Jerry Can Gas.

So while his generator is running, he tries to siphon gas out of his PT Cruiser (that's parked in the garage) directly into the running generator's gas tank.

You guessed it. Whole garage went up and there was NO cell service or land line service to call 911. Fire department came when they saw the smoke. Lost his garage, kitchen, about 1/3 of his house, two cars, and a generator. Even his asphalt driveway burned up about 10 feet back from the house.

So there's a time and place you can and a time and place you can't. Most people don't have the skills to know the difference so we get overly generic, one size fits all rules. We can't have smart people safely doing dangerous things because dumb people will see it, have delusions of competency, and and try it too.

I'm thinking warning labels were the worst thing to happen to Darwinism, but hey that's just me. ;-)
Untitled 7 copy.jpg

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat

Yea, I think we can all see that 'gov regulations' are out of control.
The 'gov' just doesn't seem to understand that they can't regulate stupidity.
I agree 'warnings' seem really dumb.

But, I'll also say this;
'Shit Happens', even with the best plans of mice and men.
Yea, a one in a million chance of something going wrong?

And I'll suggest you do NOT want to be anywhere near where spilled gasoline ignites.
It's something you'll never forget!

So WHY tempt fate?

Just my $.02

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
Hey guys anybody ever notice when you get your gas filled up once in a while the needle takes like 10 minutes to go up to full.... Even when you have it on a fuel economy and you're looking at the digital how long you have till empty it takes a while do you think that could be a problem? This is only the second time it's happened since I've had the truck it's been 2 years.... And it was 32° this morning... Anything would be appreciated​
I have my reserve fuel cell plumbed in so it fills the tank while I am driving. I can confirm that there is a several minute delay in the gauge. I can run the transfer pump for 5 minutes and turn it off, then it takes 4 to 5 minutes for the needle to correct. Lariat with digital gauge.
Sponsored