micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I just opened the window and will test it later. Seems rather sloppy if it is, in fact, on all the time. My truck is always in the garage anyway, but seems like a bad design if it is.
IIRC the homelink and vanity mirror are wired together. So it was probably decided to stay on thinking about the mirror and the homelink was an after thought.
Sponsored

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
Right, so I guess we need to do the 'open window' test to see if the keypad is on all the time, or only when the system wakes up.
If it acts like I suspect, it will timeout with the window open and not work. As soon as the door is opened, it should wake up and work. This is how most vehicles operate with Homelink. Interested to hear of your results.

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
I just verified that on a Lariat the homelink keypad is OFF when the truck is asleep. When the truck is awake homelink comes alive.
If this is correct, if some breaks in and presses the start button Homelink becomes active, is that correct?

Frio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
I just verified that on a Lariat the homelink keypad is OFF when the truck is asleep. When the truck is awake homelink comes alive.
So this means that if you forget to lock the vehicle while parked outside, it's essentially the same as not locking the house/garage. Makes me wonder if Homelink is alive during an alarm event.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
EE
If this is correct, if some breaks in and presses the start button Homelink becomes active, is that correct?
Opens the door. The start button should do nothing.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
But you guys are missing the point - you can check your hair while trying to steal the truck! ?

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
For those with this feature in your truck, have you found a way to disable the operation of this feature when the truck is not running, or on accessory? seems that it works all the time. I park outside and always enter home through garage, but I cannot find a way to disable it if the truck is park / locked as it seems it can be functional all the time. thoughts? and yes I did the search and could not come up with anything related to my concern.
Truth to tell, I have this feature on my Lariat but have never linked it to the garage door. I just keep the garage-opener's original fob in the truck's console. I open the garage door with the manual button on the wall when I enter the garage from the house, and then when I drive out the garage door, I click the door shut with the fob, which I use to open it again when I return. I never bothered to link the garage door to the truck because I cannot see what would be the advantage. Did the same with my 2014 Explorer. Am I missing something?

sal33n

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio, 2016 Mustang GT
Truth to tell, I have this feature on my Lariat but have never linked it to the garage door. I just keep the garage-opener's original fob in the truck's console. I open the garage door with the manual button on the wall when I enter the garage from the house, and then when I drive out the garage door, I click the door shut with the fob, which I use to open it again when I return. I never bothered to link the garage door to the truck because I cannot see what would be the advantage. Did the same with my 2014 Explorer. Am I missing something?
Here is a scenario...

Your truck is sitting outside of your home in your driveway while no one is there. Someone decides to break into your truck (whether it's locked or not). They now have access to get into your home without needing to break in.

In our Stelvio, the garage door opener will not work unless the car is on. This is a nice security feature.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
If you program and use the homelink feature in the truck, you never have to deal with a dead fob battery.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a scenario...

Your truck is sitting outside of your home in your driveway while no one is there. Someone decides to break into your truck (whether it's locked or not). They now have access to get into your home without needing to break in.

In our Stelvio, the garage door opener will not work unless the car is on. This is a nice security feature.
Hey, Joe, thanks for your comments. However, in my situation, I never park the truck outside of the garage unless I am with it, washing or loading it, for example. And I basically never go anywhere except in my truck, which means I am not leaving it home alone with the fob inside. Also, since we have a separate, solid, lockable door that leads from the interior of the home to the garage, opening the garage door (by whatever means) does not get one into the house--and leaves any intruder in full view of all the neighbors. Of course, no system is perfectly safe, but I think I have pretty much eliminated the possibilities of anyone using the fob in truck to enter home.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
If you program and use the homelink feature in the truck, you never have to deal with a dead fob battery.
That is a good point. Happily, it has not happened yet, but definitely food for thought.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
EE
You're missing the ability to open your garage without having to carry the extra remote. :)

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I guess so, yes. For those who park outside then you should rewire it to accessory or ignition like Mic19 said. Or, don't link homelink to your garage.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
EE
Here is a scenario...

Most, if not all current garage door openers have a lock feature. Mine is a button I push that disables all remote access. Only the master switch in the garage will work.
Sponsored