First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired
It is a built in homelink unit from another vehicle, it operates all on its own without any other parts. I am using it now from a 9 volt battery but I want to wire it in. I know I can run a wire down to the fuse box and hook it to a fuse that is only hot with the key. My biggest concern is the wire that lights up the unit I want to work with the dash lights so the lights are not always on. There are five wires in the overhead console. One is for the dome and map light,I’m not sure of the other three. I know there is a switch in my overhead console that illuminated and works with the dimmer But I don’t know where to hook into that. AND I would like to wire the homelink to a ”key-on” power so it does not work when the key is off. Someone on here must know about this electric stuff. Please help! TIA

0AFDCA5A-018C-4663-8EED-91E60DEE065D.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Buddybiro

Buddybiro

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone else wired it in yet?

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Shouldn't be too difficult to figure out. All you need is a decent volt meter.

OP
OP
Buddybiro

Buddybiro

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired
Shouldn't be too difficult to figure out. All you need is a decent volt meter.
Well I checked the five wires up there:
1 was ground 1 faded out after a minute so I knew that was the dome light. The other three were all hot with the key off but one was under 12 volts.
what I didn’t check was if any dimmed with the dash lights but I don’t think I had anything on.
because they were all hot I think I need to run down to the fuse box for a keyed power as I do not want it to work when key is off. Any help with the illumination wire would be appreciate.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Just curious, won't it loose programming if you turn the power off to it? Also don't you need to reduce the voltage to 9V from the 12V the truck supplies?

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Buddy, there is a connector under the black cover for camera, I used it to hook up radar detector. Look on this site under blend mount and it will show positive and negative wires under the cover. Bret

OP
OP
Buddybiro

Buddybiro

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired
Just curious, won't it loose programming if you turn the power off to it? Also don't you need to reduce the voltage to 9V from the 12V the truck supplies?
The opener is out of another vehicle and is designed to operate at 12 to 14 in a vehicle. It does not lose the program I did try it. So it’s fine.

LurchOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat w/501A, Built 02-08-2019
Well I checked the five wires up there:
1 was ground 1 faded out after a minute so I knew that was the dome light. The other three were all hot with the key off but one was under 12 volts.
what I didn’t check was if any dimmed with the dash lights but I don’t think I had anything on.
because they were all hot I think I need to run down to the fuse box for a keyed power as I do not want it to work when key is off. Any help with the illumination wire would be appreciate.
Have you looked at the service manuals available here?
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/2019-ranger-technical-shop-manuals.1548/
Quite a bit of info there for the interior lighting wiring and controls.

JACER

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
FYI: Before my Ranger, I owned a 2017 XLT Explorer. XLT's don't come standard with the Homelink system. From EBAY I purchased a Homelink sunvisor for an Explorer. Removal of existing visor was a simple process and Ford had already pre-wired for the Homelink system. It was easy to plug in the the replacement visor. Programming was easy and the vanity lights worked as well.

I realize replacement sunvisors may be in short supply right now, but as Rangers become more popular, this solution becomes more of a possibility.

OP
OP
Buddybiro

Buddybiro

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired
FYI: Before my Ranger, I owned a 2017 XLT Explorer. XLT's don't come standard with the Homelink system. From EBAY I purchased a Homelink sunvisor for an Explorer. Removal of existing visor was a simple process and Ford had already pre-wired for the Homelink system. It was easy to plug in the the replacement visor. Programming was easy and the vanity lights worked as well.

I realize replacement sunvisors may be in short supply right now, but as Rangers become more popular, this solution becomes more of a possibility.
I have mine in and it looks and works great. I just need advice on wiring for illumination lights.

1C0B8540-0431-4E4D-8655-37B300B252F4.jpeg

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I have mine in and it looks and works great. I just need advice on wiring for illumination lights.
Assuming you have a 3rd wire in your homelink you just need to find an illumination line. VT-GY (Violet-Grey)
First check if anything in the roof console lights up and look for wires going to that. Make sure your dash lights dimmer is turned all the way up.

Last edited:

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
I think @Cape Cruiser gave you the answer earlier. I just checked the thread he referenced and if you look at post #7, you can see what looks like a gap or small opening at the top of the black cover that will lead you to the power source that I believe you are looking for.

I'm curious about this install as well. I'm tired of having to carry my garage door opener in and out of the house with me every day.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
There appears to be an illumination line thats VT-GY (Violet-Grey) going to the overhead console.

OP
OP
Buddybiro

Buddybiro

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired
There appears to be an illumination line thats VT-GY (Violet-Grey) going to the overhead console.
Thanks I will check it this week if I can. That’s a big help. I will run the power wire down to the fuse box because I do not want it hot when the key is off. When I tested the wires in the ohc they all seemed hot with the key off.

OP
OP
Buddybiro

Buddybiro

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired
I think @Cape Cruiser gave you the answer earlier. I just checked the thread he referenced and if you look at post #7, you can see what looks like a gap or small opening at the top of the black cover that will lead you to the power source that I believe you are looking for.

I'm curious about this install as well. I'm tired of having to carry my garage door opener in and out of the house with me every day.
Well it works great. i Would make sure you get a version 5 of homelink so it works with the new openers.
Sponsored