Future Ranger Gets a Diesel Powertrain Option! (Rumors)

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Ford is being forced to offer discounts on the Ranger to improve sales, but they have done it to themselves by offering huge discounts on the F-150.
No, it's just the market, with all the manufacturers setting an MSRP and then discounting from it. Again, we're seeing $4k discounts on Tacomas and $8k discounts on Colorados in this area. If Ford were advertising $15k discounts, then that would be noteworthy--but all they're doing is holding steady with the competition.
Sponsored

TacoHawkRanger

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Sport; 2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Occupation
Site Developer, USAF
The 4 Cyl is killing sales because only Ford people "get it" with the 2.3 Turbo. But those who are driving weaker six cylinder trucks imagine the 4banger in the Ford to be weaker. There is definitely a disconnect when it comes to educating the masses about the 4 banger.

Those with fanboi tendency will put lipstick on the pig but it's still a pig, I will be awfully surprised if Ford sells more than 35K in the second quarter.
I think Ford people "getting it" is really a non-issue. The issue is that people don't do their research. Ford has marketed the numbers as best they can. Every single review, even the negative ones, acknowledge the good power the Ranger makes. I'm proof that you don't have to be a Ford guy. I've traditionally been a Tacoma guy (hence the Taco in my username) and I have owned 3. When I decided to get a new truck I looked at the marked, read reviews, and did my research. The Gen3 Tacoma is a huge letdown to me. I looked at the ranger, saw the engine and the reported numbers and said "no way in hell they are getting that kind of power!" A bit of research later, and I know it's true.

People keep trying to out-fact other on the whether or not the Ranger is selling. How do you all know one way or the other? Ford alone knows what they projected to sell, and about their discount program. If Ford comes out and says "shoot guys, the Ranger undersold," I will believe it. Same goes if they say Ranger is kicking ass. Otherwise, it's speculation.

As for the subject of this thread (which I had to actually go up to the top and read to remember): I'd be surprised if we don't see more diesel vehicles coming over to the states. I'm driving a 2.5l Turbo Diesel every day here in Djibouti, and it's great. Kinda slow, but torquey and fast enough to pass when needed (in the 40-50mph range, no big open roads for me to drive out here) and gets fantastic MPGs.

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
I think Ford people "getting it" is really a non-issue. The issue is that people don't do their research. Ford has marketed the numbers as best they can. Every single review, even the negative ones, acknowledge the good power the Ranger makes. I'm proof that you don't have to be a Ford guy. I've traditionally been a Tacoma guy (hence the Taco in my username) and I have owned 3. When I decided to get a new truck I looked at the marked, read reviews, and did my research. The Gen3 Tacoma is a huge letdown to me. I looked at the ranger, saw the engine and the reported numbers and said "no way in hell they are getting that kind of power!" A bit of research later, and I know it's true.

People keep trying to out-fact other on the whether or not the Ranger is selling. How do you all know one way or the other? Ford alone knows what they projected to sell, and about their discount program. If Ford comes out and says "shoot guys, the Ranger undersold," I will believe it. Same goes if they say Ranger is kicking ass. Otherwise, it's speculation.

As for the subject of this thread (which I had to actually go up to the top and read to remember): I'd be surprised if we don't see more diesel vehicles coming over to the states. I'm driving a 2.5l Turbo Diesel every day here in Djibouti, and it's great. Kinda slow, but torquey and fast enough to pass when needed (in the 40-50mph range, no big open roads for me to drive out here) and gets fantastic MPGs.
Ford will release 2nd quarter sales the beginning of July. Let's just wait and see what those numbers are before we argue that much about Ranger sales.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford will release 2nd quarter sales the beginning of July. Let's just wait and see what those numbers are before we argue that much about Ranger sales.
Or even better, just don't worry about it at all. Ford seems to be doing fine. No matter what numbers they hit, Tacoma World will complain that they're not selling "enough". So what?

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Why would people research a truck they have already passed on due to only one engine choice from $24K to the $45K trims and a four-cylinder at that. That's ALL they see and I believe it's a turn-off.

Perception is the problem. Ford has an advertising issue here and there aren't enough owners so that people see them every day. They don't. There numerous members here that have not seen any or maybe on in a larger city. I know the 4cyl kicks ass. But who is going to believe it without getting behind the wheel.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
No you made the first attack. To which I replied get over yourself. I don't usually attack people unless they draw blood first and you and VAMIKE seem to throw a lot of insults around. Let's see what second quarter numbers look like and I especially want to hear more excuses rather than reasons from you. For now, I will ignore you and VAmike...Know it alls are not my cup of tea. Especially without evidence.
Quote one insult. I do not insult in posts. Just add my opinion to the subject matter.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Why would people research a truck they have already passed on due to only one engine choice from $24K to the $45K trims and a four-cylinder at that. That's ALL they see and I believe it's a turn-off.

Perception is the problem. Ford has an advertising issue here and there aren't enough owners so that people see them every day. They don't. There numerous members here that have not seen any or maybe on in a larger city. I know the 4cyl kicks ass. But who is going to believe it without getting behind the wheel.
I agree Ford really should do a better job of communicating how well the 2.3/10 speed does - haven't really seen anything in the few ads I've seen that talks about it. The only place I've seen anything about it was in some of the early reviews when Ford engineers were being interviewed.

It is a key differentiator of the truck that deserves to be highlighted.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I agree Ford really should do a better job of communicating how well the 2.3/10 speed does - haven't really seen anything in the few ads I've seen that talks about it. The only place I've seen anything about it was in some of the early reviews when Ford engineers were being interviewed.

It is a key differentiator of the truck that deserves to be highlighted.
'

That is all I have been saying. A Tacoma buyer knows how much of a dog the 3rd gens are (even with a 6 cyl which seems very important to them) and why they have 45,000 replies in an OVTUNE thread. Looking for the magic grail. It still won't outperform the Ranger. Ford has dropped the ball when it comes to only one engine in all trims. That is not usual. Looks like they waved the magic wand and would capture those who buy Fords first and foremost. Thats not me. I bought what in my opinion is the best truck on the market TODAY.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree Ford really should do a better job of communicating how well the 2.3/10 speed does - haven't really seen anything in the few ads I've seen that talks about it.
Ford certainly isn't pushing hard on ads for the Ranger. I suspect that's because they are still building up inventory: if you spend a bunch of money on an ad and convince someone to go to their dealer and the dealer doesn't have what you want, you've wasted that ad money. If you look at sales numbers for April & May, they've been selling reasonably well. (I understand some people only want to look at Jan/Feb/Mar and reject all other data, who knows why.) Some of the manufacturers have switched to quarterly numbers because they don't want to deal with monthly invester calls over sales figures, but the data is still out there. Take a look at http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/ford/ford-ranger/ and you'll see that the sales are increasing steadily. Production numbers are much harder to find, but they seem to be making somewhere between 5k & 10k per month now that they ramped up. Subtracting the number sold, that's not all that many per dealer given 3k dealerships in the US. Most cars & trucks have at least a couple of months of inventory on the lots, and there's no way Ford could possibly have been at that target for the first four months of the year. Maybe they are now, it'll be interesting to see the June sales figures and I'd love to know their current production rate. If we see them hit their inventory targets and they think they need to increase sales, then we'll see more ads. But I think they're playing a long game, and instead of trying to convince people that they made the right engine choice I think it makes more sense to simply get the trucks out there and let them speak for themselves. As long as they continue to sell, why spend money trying to push trucks on people who don't want them instead of selling the same truck to someone who doesn't need a hard sell to be convinced?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ford certainly isn't pushing hard on ads for the Ranger. I suspect that's because they are still building up inventory: if you spend a bunch of money on an ad and convince someone to go to their dealer and the dealer doesn't have what you want, you've wasted that ad money. If you look at sales numbers for April & May, they've been selling reasonably well. (I understand some people only want to look at Jan/Feb/Mar and reject all other data, who knows why.) Some of the manufacturers have switched to quarterly numbers because they don't want to deal with monthly invester calls over sales figures, but the data is still out there. Take a look at http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/ford/ford-ranger/ and you'll see that the sales are increasing steadily. Production numbers are much harder to find, but they seem to be making somewhere between 5k & 10k per month now that they ramped up. Subtracting the number sold, that's not all that many per dealer given 3k dealerships in the US. Most cars & trucks have at least a couple of months of inventory on the lots, and there's no way Ford could possibly have been at that target for the first four months of the year. Maybe they are now, it'll be interesting to see the June sales figures and I'd love to know their current production rate. If we see them hit their inventory targets and they think they need to increase sales, then we'll see more ads. But I think they're playing a long game, and instead of trying to convince people that they made the right engine choice I think it makes more sense to simply get the trucks out there and let them speak for themselves. As long as they continue to sell, why spend money trying to push trucks on people who don't want them instead of selling the same truck to someone who doesn't need a hard sell to be convinced?
Based on postings on the blue oval forum, it sounds like they are building an average of around 500 a day, so monthly production at this point is somewhere in the neighborhood of 12,000 units give or take.

From my perspective, they seem to be selling pretty well given the supply constraint. May sold almost 2/3rds of production, and like you said, they are still building inventory. To me, for a first year model with very little advertising and limited incentives, that seems pretty good. If I were Ford, I'd be happy with that. But only they know what the target is.

One other thought - Ford may not be pushing them too hard at this point because they were trying to do a slow ramp up - in order to minimize initial quality issues on a production line. Given the recent award for best initial quality, it seems like that was a good approach.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Based on postings on the blue oval forum, it sounds like they are building an average of around 500 a day, so monthly production at this point is somewhere in the neighborhood of 12,000 units give or take.
Cool. The last I remembered reading was 200/day but couldn't find anything newer.

One other thought - Ford may not be pushing them too hard at this point because they were trying to do a slow ramp up - in order to minimize initial quality issues on a production line. Given the recent award for best initial quality, it seems like that was a good approach.
I think it's definitely a long game. Among other things, I expect the bronco will also have the 2.3 engine, and the more they can do to get it out now on the ranger the easier that rollout will be. By the time they're at full capacity for bronco & the next ranger, it'll be a much easier sell of "look at how much we've added to this already solid performer that you can find all over". Or they'll have a string of engine issues and crater, but there are no guarantees in life. :LOL:

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

From my perspective, they seem to be selling pretty well given the supply constraint. May sold almost 2/3rds of production, and like you said, they are still building inventory. To me, for a first year model with very little advertising and limited incentives, that seems pretty good. If I were Ford, I'd be happy with that. But only they know what the target is.

LOL That didn't work for me. I have mismatched seams on the hood and dust under the paint in some areas which is not enough of a bother to deal with it.. Fit is my biggest complaint. but not enough to sway buying another. Also, paint blemishes. Possibly new truckitits. We Early adopters usually have more fit and finish issues. I get that.

IF Ford makes 500 a day, they should have made 3000 a week (based on a six day work week) and around 12,000 a month. I would be surprised if they sell out of all their builds every month, Seems like they would be stuck at selling 12K....... limited by the factory ability to produce more trucks

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Cool. The last I remembered reading was 200/day but couldn't find anything newer.

I think it's definitely a long game. Among other things, I expect the bronco will also have the 2.3 engine, and the more they can do to get it out now on the ranger the easier that rollout will be. By the time they're at full capacity for bronco & the next ranger, it'll be a much easier sell of "look at how much we've added to this already solid performer that you can find all over". Or they'll have a string of engine issues and crater, but there are no guarantees in life. :LOL:
One of the reasons I decided to order a "first model year" vehicle was that this really isn't a first model year - All the important stuff in the truck has been vetted already. New sheet metal panels aren't going to cause any major failures and the powertrain has been proven in other models. The frame was beefed up, and some suspension changes occurred, but pretty much everything else is like it has been since 2012.

I'm hoping it is more like the former ("a solid performer") than the latter ("crater"). :) I think we all hope that.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
One of the reasons I decided to order a "first model year" vehicle was that this really isn't a first model year - All the important stuff in the truck has been vetted already. New sheet metal panels aren't going to cause any major failures and the powertrain has been proven in other models. The frame was beefed up, and some suspension changes occurred, but pretty much everything else is like it has been since 2012.

I'm hoping it is more like the former ("a solid performer") than the latter ("crater"). :) I think we all hope that.
yeah the 2.3 eco and 10-speed are proven. That was a big factor for me.
Sponsored