First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.notion.so
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger fx4 xlt, 1988 ford ranger 4x4 xlt
With the shelter in place and everything, I’m not doing a whole lot of driving. I’ve been making sure to start my truck once a week let it run for a few min, and move it. I’m starting to wonder if I should put some fuel stabilizer in the gas. I haven’t really driven in 3 weeks, and I probably won’t be driving much for another month.
Should I add some fuel stabilizer to my tank? If so what kind?
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
With the shelter in place and everything, I’m not doing a whole lot of driving. I’ve been making sure to start my truck once a week let it run for a few min, and move it. I’m starting to wonder if I should put some fuel stabilizer in the gas. I haven’t really driven in 3 weeks, and I probably won’t be driving much for another month.
It's probably a good idea to since you're just going to let it sit for another month and possibly longer. I've always used Stabil fuel stabilizer in everything
from pressurewashers,lawnmowers,snowblowers and motorcycles. I've never had a problem starting them up or any varnish or gum build up.

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bil-fuel-stabilizer/

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Gasoline has enough of an additive package in it to last at least 6 months. In my area the February Winter Blend will last about a year w/o adding a stabilizer. If you can find Ethanol Free gasoline (usually sold at race shops) it keeps much longer than Ethanol Blends. More Ethanol = More Problems.

rltriumph

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Pipefitter
Late 90’s fuel was wrecking havoc on motorcycle engines with the added ethanol. Buddy of mine raced Yamaha’s and worked at a dealership. They had a TSB that fuel as little as a month old could be suspect for ignition problems or rough idle. Yamaha recommended dumping fuel and putting in fresh. I am assuming their engineers spent some time and money figuring it out. I have worked at enough refineries and talked with the operators. The blends change daily depending on grade of crude. Operating conditions and market fuel is going to.

Davejb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL STX
I'm in the same boat, I make sure to take a drive once a week, long enough that I have to refuel about once a month, and also do a remote start about midweek to let it run for a bit.

tfisher15

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, 4x4; 69 Firebird Conv
Occupation
Retired
Can’t hurt. I use Sta-bil.

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
I worked in a marine engine shop X years ago and leaned about seafoam. Google if you care to read the whole story of the mechanic in MN who invited it during the war years whose full time job was the cleaning of fuel systems of gunk. No alcohol added back then. I use seafoam today in all our seasonal engines. I've had that stable porduct turn to junk in fuel tanks. Never again.....

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
I worked in a marine engine shop X years ago and leaned about seafoam. Google if you care to read the whole story of the mechanic in MN who invited it during the war years whose full time job was the cleaning of fuel systems of gunk. No alcohol added back then. I use seafoam today in all our seasonal engines. I've had that stable porduct turn to junk in fuel tanks. Never again.....
Which method do you use with Seafoam for your Ranger ?

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
trails maintenance
Which method do you use with Seafoam for your Ranger ?
I don't use SeaF in the truck since fuel doesn't stay in it long enough to worry. All my seasonal or occasional use engines do get SF in there fuel.

Deleted member 1634

I worked in a marine engine shop X years ago and learned about seafoam. Google if you care to read the whole story of the mechanic in MN who invented it during the war years, whose full time job was the cleaning of fuel systems of gunk. No alcohol added back then. I use seafoam today in all our seasonal engines. I've had that stable product turn to junk in fuel tanks. Never again.....
I've used Seafoam before to clean out our vehicles every once in awhile when they got older, but I hadn't known it to be a stabilizing/storage additive. Interesting.

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
trails maintenance
I've used Seafoam before to clean out our vehicles every once in awhile when they got older, but I hadn't known it to be a stabilizing/storage additive. Interesting.
I'd say Seafoam is a poor cleaner and there are other chemicals that do better at that job, like B-12. SF was created to store gasoline and keep it in good, usable condition.

Last edited:

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I'd say Seafoam is a poor cleaner and there are other chemicals that do better at that job, like B-12. It was created to store gasoline and keep it in good, usable condition.
B-12 has (or use to have) MethylEthylKetone in it. Super harsh and pretty stout on the oils and lubricated surfaces in your engine. I'd think twice about that in a modern engine with tight tolerances where lubrication is all that more critical.

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
trails maintenance
B-12 has (or use to have) MethylEthylKetone in it. Super harsh and pretty stout on the oils and lubricated surfaces in your engine. I'd think twice about that in a modern engine with tight tolerances where lubrication is all that more critical.
I may have miss spoke. I didn't hope to say that b-12 is used as a fuel additive, but rather as a parts cleaner. :confused:
Sponsored