Fuel Induction and Throttle Body Cleaning Service

johnitahoe

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Sport/FX
Anyone know what a Fuel Induction and Throttle Body Cleaning Service is???

Took my vehicle to a stealership for its first oil change and rotation 10K.

They handed me a "dealer" recommended service to come back at 15K miles.

15K service Minimum $361.36, Value $361.36, Preferred $441.21

Just an oil change with a lot of nonsense, but the only thing I didn't recognize was the Induction/Throttle Body cleaning.

After going to the dealership I remember why I haven't bought a Ford in 15 years. I love the Ranger but hate trying to find a competent (honest) dealer to do service.

My oil change with appointment took 2.5 hours and they filled my tires to 37 PSI instead of 30!
Sponsored

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Would love to see someone do a seafoam cleaning on the engine with specific steps tailored to our rangers.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Let me guess. BG products. Some good products but an even better incentive program for the people pushing it.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
This reminds me of all of the "dealer Installed enhancements" we so often see as add-ons to the window sticker. They're nothing more than added profit. Things like anti-thief, window serial numbers, door edge guards, and plastic splash protection cost the dealer almost nothing! Sort of reminds me of the late 50s when all of the dealers added curb feelers and undercoat for just $199.95!

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So let me help clear everything up on this since not everyone understands what the induction system cleaning services. Ever since direct-injection Vehicles came out they started having a problem after 40000 miles there would be a possibility of valve springs breaking on the intake side and causing valves to go straight into the engine and cause massive failure. What cause that you might have? What simple it is carbon deposits being formed on the intake valves. You don't get this near as much with port injection or throttle body fuel injection or even carburetors for that matter. Why you might ask? Simple, on those systems you have fuel running across the intake valve so it does wash the valves of the carbon deposits to an extent. Direct injection on the other hand fires fuel directly into the combustion chamber and doesn't even touch the intake valves. Ford has been getting smart in general what's a lot of the new engines where they have both direct injection and port fuel injection. They did that for the exact reason I just mentioned earlier. Unfortunately the 2.3 l EcoBoost is not one of those engines. This is a normal maintenance for direct-injected vehicles. Will I do it on my truck? Absolutely I will. Why you might ask? Simply because I don't want my engine to go to kaboom because a intake valve decided to drop from a braking valve spring. I have seen this happen with General Motors and don't want to chance it on my brand new truck. So no it isn't just a wallet cleaning product. This is an actual maintenance product but you only need to do it generally speaking around every 30,000 to 40000 miles. Hopefully this cleared up enough confusion.

Perhaps our wonderful friend/engineer @P. A. Schilke can give another reason to go with this.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Would like to see a how to video on the seafoam with such. Heard that’s a good way to clean the injectors. Good ? Bud

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Would like to see a how to video on the seafoam with such. Heard that’s a good way to clean the injectors. Good ? Bud
If you want to clean the injectors you have to put stuff in the fuel tank or disconnect the fuel line from the High pressure pump and force a cleaner through the injectors but requires a special tool for such.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you want to clean the injectors you have to put stuff in the fuel tank or disconnect the fuel line from the High pressure pump and force a cleaner through the injectors but requires a special tool for such.
That’s what I thought. Figured someone would know the specifics. As a visual person it would be sweet if someone made a vid for such.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That’s what I thought. Figured someone would know the specifics. As a visual person it would be sweet if someone made a vid for such.
I think both BG and SnapOn have a video but I'm not positive on this.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Let me guess. BG products. Some good products but an even better incentive program for the people pushing it.
My son is a GM tech and he does push the BG products but he also believes in them and say they work. He uses the BG De-Carb in his Colorado every 10k and I’ll be using it in my Ranger.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My son is a GM tech and he does push the BG products but he also believes in them and say they work. He uses the BG De-Carb in his Colorado every 10k and I’ll be using it in my Ranger.
I won't argue the BG products are great but if he is doing the induction service a very 10k then it is excessive. If he is putting the 44k in the tank every 10k then it is alright.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Curious as to what your thought on this stuff is? I've been using it for years but to be honest I don't keep my trucks long enough to know if it helps?

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/104-fuel-injector-pro/

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Curious as to what your thought on this stuff is? I've been using it for years but to be honest I don't keep my trucks long enough to know if it helps?

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/104-fuel-injector-pro/
Honestly I dont know too much about that one. Also something I have noticed is if you just ise a simple fuel injection cleaner through the tank regularly then you should be fine in general. I myself prefer the berryman's B12 chemtool and used it every oil change in my Frontier. Did I see a performance difference? Not really, if anything it was basic maintenance just to keep it from having any problems and all the way to 73k it did fine. For the ranger in use the Royal purple every 10k since it recommends that and ot has the spout adapter where I dont have to use the little plastic funnel the truck comes with. That is my input on this. Also something I noticed when I was working at parts stores for many years as most people would buy it thinking it's going to fix a problem. But that being said we like to call it hope in a bottle LOL. When you're just doing maintenance you should be fine.