Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Cardiac Cath
Vehicle Showcase
Hello,
I’m curious as to the need to change gearing on my 2019 Ranger 4x4 FX4 after going to 33” tires.

I been following Stage 3 Motors 2019 Ranger build and doing similar mods: https://www.stage3motorsports.com/Stage-3s-2019-Ford-Ranger-2-3L-EcoBoost-Project-Truck-Build.html

Current mods are:
Raptor Grille with lights
RC nerf bars
2.5” Rough Country Leveling kit
Method 17x8.5 and 285 70R/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
Trimmed the front crash bars(not removed) to make room for 33” tires.

I just put new the tires and wheels on this weekend and haven’t driven the truck more than 15miles. Nothing to complain about. I love the look and feel of the truck.

I’m curious if gearing is something I should look into? Any adverse long term drivetrain issues to look for?

Attached pictures of my truck before and after.

Thanks again, let me know what you think.

Amos

1F5D37A8-E877-4013-B2FA-B786F8CF61C9.jpeg

9F8BCC0F-9493-4C93-8A44-ACBE0D90CF4F.jpeg
Sponsored

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stage3motorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
Hello,
I’m curious as to the need to change gearing on my 2019 Ranger 4x4 FX4 after going to 33” tires.

I been following Stage 3 Motors 2019 Ranger build and doing similar mods: https://www.stage3motorsports.com/Stage-3s-2019-Ford-Ranger-2-3L-EcoBoost-Project-Truck-Build.html

Current mods are:
Raptor Grille with lights
RC nerf bars
2.5” Rough Country Leveling kit
Method 17x8.5 and 285 70R/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
Trimmed the front crash bars(not removed) to make room for 33” tires.

I just put new the tires and wheels on this weekend and haven’t driven the truck more than 15miles. Nothing to complain about. I love the look and feel of the truck.

I’m curious if gearing is something I should look into? Any adverse long term drivetrain issues to look for?

Attached pictures of my truck before and after.

Thanks again, let me know what you think.
First, truck looks great.

As for the need for gearing, our motto is "EcoBoost Don't Care." Even if front and rear gears and Master Install Kits were available (they're not quite yet), they're not really cost-effective when compared to tuning on the Rangers (or the EcoBoost F150s for that matter). I actually did a writeup on the choice on the F150s, but the same applies here. Granted, unless you notice a drop in acceleration or weird shifting, you may not have to tune either.

I may be a bit of a hypocrite, since my truck got Nitro 4.11s and a TrueTrac not too long ago, but the 5.0L actually has a torque curve instead of just raw torque.

With tuning adding power and adjusting your speedo and shift points back for half the cost of gears and install kits alone (before install), you're better off going the tuning route if you feel like your truck's a bit doggy.

Ideally, you'd be able to do both and have a truck that really rips, but that's not in the cards for everyone.

OP
OP
DrummerAmos

DrummerAmos

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Cardiac Cath
Vehicle Showcase
First, truck looks great.

As for the need for gearing, our motto is "EcoBoost Don't Care." Even if front and rear gears and Master Install Kits were available (they're not quite yet), they're not really cost-effective when compared to tuning on the Rangers (or the EcoBoost F150s for that matter). I actually did a writeup on the choice on the F150s, but the same applies here. Granted, unless you notice a drop in acceleration or weird shifting, you may not have to tune either.

I may be a bit of a hypocrite, since my truck got Nitro 4.11s and a TrueTrac not too long ago, but the 5.0L actually has a torque curve instead of just raw torque.

With tuning adding power and adjusting your speedo and shift points back for half the cost of gears and install kits alone (before install), you're better off going the tuning route if you feel like your truck's a bit doggy.

Ideally, you'd be able to do both and have a truck that really rips, but that's not in the cards for everyone.
Thanks Jason!
Exactly what I was wanting to know.

I hadn’t heard anything regarding gearing from any of the 4x4 shops here in Phoenix as I was shopping for wheels and tires. A coworker who’s an avid Jeep person mentioned it in passing and got me thinking if I had missed anything.
Thanks again!

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
I agree, no need for gears. I've been running a -12 offset 17x9 with 295/70/17 with Cooper SST Pro's and I have zero acceleration or the truck being sluggish. I can roast these MT's at any given time with no problem. Trust me these tires are Heavy. Now on my old Tacoma, you bet it was a dog with the same tire/wheel combo. Save the money from gearing and spend it on a tune and other goodies for sure.

20190816_155304.jpg

20190816_155248.jpg

20200215_133005.jpg

20190816_155312.jpg

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
nice looking trucks there! I've been avoiding the temptation of wheels an tires but you guys make it hard!

OP
OP
DrummerAmos

DrummerAmos

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Cardiac Cath
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, no need for gears. I've been running a -12 offset 17x9 with 295/70/17 with Cooper SST Pro's and I have zero acceleration or the truck being sluggish. I can roast these MT's at any given time with no problem. Trust me these tires are Heavy. Now on my old Tacoma, you bet it was a dog with the same tire/wheel combo. Save the money from gearing and spend it on a tune and other goodies for sure.

20190816_155304.jpg

20190816_155248.jpg

20200215_133005.jpg

20190816_155312.jpg

20190816_155304.jpg

20190816_155248.jpg

20200215_133005.jpg

20190816_155312.jpg
Nice truck! I gotta get fender flares now!

I wasn’t too concerned about gearing. I hadn’t heard or seen anything about needing it while searching for wheels and tires. I figured the guys at Stage 3 would have mentioned it.

My next thing is the Rousch cold air intake with tune + Awe cat-back exhaust.

Thanks for sharing!

Abjectwoe

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
I think long-term, if you're running 33+ you should regear for the sake of the transmission.

I'll be running 255/80/17 soon, so regearing will be on my radar. I wouldn't even mind taking the plunge and being the first to do it.

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
I think long-term, if you're running 33+ you should regear for the sake of the transmission.

I'll be running 255/80/17 soon, so regearing will be on my radar. I wouldn't even mind taking the plunge and being the first to do it.
Absolutely no need to put gears in with 33's. I run 295/70/17's that are slightly larger than 33"s with zero issues on or off road. The gears are perfectly matched to this transmission even with the larger tires. However, nothing wrong with modding to your liking. What size gears are you considering for both the front and rear diff?

OP
OP
DrummerAmos

DrummerAmos

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Cardiac Cath
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with Stangman570.

I’ve talked with a handful of people mechanics at Ford and different aftermarket companies. The consensus is “eco-boost drivetrain just doesn’t care” what you throw at it.

check out the “Fun Runner” 2019 Ranger build. They turned the Ranger into a baja truck. They are running 37” Nitto ridge grapplers.

Vaughn Gittin’s Ranger

If you find a new gears and out them in, let us know how it goes. It’s very costly right now to regear because there really aren’t any options unless yo here hoping custom.

Let us know what you decide on. It’s always cool to see what mods people do.

OP
OP
DrummerAmos

DrummerAmos

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Cardiac Cath
Vehicle Showcase
Forgot to mention. They didn’t change the drive train at all!

OP
OP
DrummerAmos

DrummerAmos

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Cardiac Cath
Vehicle Showcase

I’ve talked with a handful of people mechanics at Ford and different aftermarket companies. The consensus is “eco-boost drivetrain just doesn’t care” what you throw at it.

check out the “Fun Runner” 2019 Ranger build. They turned the Ranger into a baja truck. They are running 37” Nitto ridge grapplers.

Vaughn Gittin’s Ranger

If you find a new gears and out them in, let us know how it goes. It’s very costly right now to regear because there really aren’t any options unless yo here hoping custom.

Sorry for typos. Unless your going custom not sure there are many options if any at the moment.

Abjectwoe

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
What size gears are you considering for both the front and rear diff?
If this was the old ranger that'd be simple. I honestly have not thought about it much until I decided to go with 33s, which was yesterday haha.

I'll update yall when (if?) i get it figured out somewhat.

Abjectwoe

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL

Vaughn Gittin’s Ranger

Yea, saw this awhile back. We all know from driving this thing it can handle alot. I'd simply want to regear to make things easier long term.

Reactions: Doc

ndwgolf

First Name
Neil Williams
Threads
Reaction score
Website
neilsphotography.co.uk
Vehicle(s)
Benz E53 Coupe, Porsche 718, Gen 6 Ranger coming
Occupation
Retired (Oilfield)
I very nearly put the same SST Pro Cooper tires on my truck in a 305/55/20 but when I saw them I just thought they were to chunky so ended up with Bridgestone KO2's instead.......are the above tires loud???
89532347_641125563385051_5334009989021302784_n.jpg
Sponsored