Free Sync 3 Navigation Map Updates (NA 1 18)

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
2. File structure-The root of the USB drive should contain 2 files and one folder named SyncMyRide. The files are named autoinstal,lst and dontindex.msa
3. File structure- The Sync my ride folder should contain 15 tar files, one of which is the license file. The easiest way to ID the license file is its size. It is 2KB

I really did not notice any file name changes in the diag screen in either SW versions or APIM/IVSU versions. At the very end there is a short flash saying it is ok to remove the drive then it reboots. There is another very short flash saying software updated.
* I used the USB port closet to the driver- turned off auto off feature, turned of auto stop feature and most importantly sat at the beach watching people walk and surfers sailboard while it worked.
IMO, a very clunky procedure with lack of clarity to install.

I did everything you described. In fact, this wasn't my 1st time. Everything went smoothly on the previous update. Not this time.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
So I had the same issue and tried twice. Before coming to the forum I went ahead and ordered the $40 USB drive from Ford. I will try that today and let you know if by chance anything runs different.
If you have the same problem with the $40 USB, then you should be getting another one soon.

I received an email from them. Read below.

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for placing your recent SYNC® 3 Navigation Map Update order! We know you are excited to install the new 2020 Navigation Map Update and begin enjoying all the new features. Unfortunately, your order was identified as receiving the old license file as part of the new update. As a result we are providing a simple solution for you to receive the new license file:

1) If you placed an order on the website to Download the latest 2020 Navigation Map Update, please do the following:

1. Close any old browser pages (Internet Explorer, Google, etc.) you may have open from the previous Download/Order Complete page
  2. Return to your Order Complete page (the link is available in the Order Confirmation email you received after you placed the order to download the 2020 Navigation Map Update)
  3. Once you are on your Order Complete page, you have two options:

• OPTION 1 - Perform the original download again using the instructions in the #1 Orange box)
  1. Download the Map and License files from the #2 and #3 Orange boxes
  2. Follow the original instructions you used for your previous order
  • OPTION 2 – Download the new License file only and update your current USB
  1. Click on the #3 Orange Download License file box to download the 2020 Navigation Map Update file
  2. Insert your USB into the computer
  3. Find the SyncMyRide directory and double-click on the folder
  4. Find the old license file, which will be named either JR3T-14G424-CD or 4U5T-14G424-CB and delete it from the SyncMyRide folder
  5. Add the new downloaded license file, which will be named either JR3T-14G424-CE or 4U5T-14G424-CC, to the SyncMyRide folder

2) If you placed an order on the website for a Pre-loaded USB with the latest 2020 Navigation Map Update installed, you will receive a new USB in the mail soon. Once you receive the new USB, follow the instructions provided for installation.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for being a loyal Ford or Lincoln customer.

Best Regards,

The Customer Service Team

S.gif

Last edited:

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
I have NA 118 and used the website to see if a new version was available. It said it was and I followed the instructions exactly and ensured I had the correct file structure. Other than the system saying for a brief moment it was doing an update, nothing happened. I let the engine run for over an hour. Finally, I decided I spent enough of the Ranger's life doing a map update and turned off the engine and checked the version screen - no changes. I tried again and the same result. The message appeared an update was in progress, and then nothing happened. I did not wait this second time. I turned off the vehicle. I looked on the Website to see if could tell what version should be loaded, and the site is down for maintenance. Does anyone know what map version is displayed after this latest update? Maybe my issue is that no update is required since I did one in January this year ?
When I first made the the USB i had extra files (duplicates) loaded on the root of the USB drive. My symptoms were exactly as you described. It flashed very briefly the message update being performed and then it went away. The light on the USB did not flicker indicating data transfer. I waited the hour then stopped it. I took the stick back to the PC and corrected the files structure by removing the extra files. Once i corrected that and restarted the installation took off with the display showing update being performed for the entire hour, ISB stick flashing data transfer and the short completion message at the end. I don't think the versions updated.

Lone Ranger

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew, 2019 Ford Flex
When I first made the the USB i had extra files (duplicates) loaded on the root of the USB drive. My symptoms were exactly as you described. It flashed very briefly the message update being performed and then it went away. The light on the USB did not flicker indicating data transfer. I waited the hour then stopped it. I took the stick back to the PC and corrected the files structure by removing the extra files. Once i corrected that and restarted the installation took off with the display showing update being performed for the entire hour, ISB stick flashing data transfer and the short completion message at the end. I don't think the versions updated.
SandBaja, thank you. I looked at my USB and saw nothing that was different than what I expected except that my license file had a CC instead of a single C. I did not touch it. In the process of re-formatting, I decided to do a full format instead of a "QuickFormat" and I noticed that the allocation size was set to 128kB. I changed the Windows 10 setting to default for the device. I will load up the files and try again when I have an hour long trip somewhere. This way I am not wasting engine life with another attempt that may not work. While it may not be much, for 1 hour of idle time, I could have driven 40 - 60 miles.

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
I wish you luck Larry. As an aside my USB was quick formatted and at 32KB unit allocation size. I don't know that that would make a difference. I've attached images of the USB file structure on my stick. If the system update does not stay on and if the USB led doesn't flash you can stop right away, it did not work. That would only take a minute or so.

As an aside, I jumped into the Cyanlabs tool yesterday. I said I was going to wait until official 3.4 release but had a moment of patience weakness. Personally, I am very well versed with software and imaging. The Cyanlab tool worked very well. I'll give this a couple of days to look for issues and then drop some coin to them. 38 minute flash to go to 3.4, navigation checked, maps 19.1 and all the versioning is now correct. I suspect this will be easier than the official release from Ford because Cyanlabs has put effort to understand the installation process and common pitfalls.

USB root.jpg

usb sync folder.jpg

d_ganggreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
So I did it today with the USB drive that came from Ford. All the data on the packaging says 1.19 for map, however it is still the 18 maps. I even checked the APIM screen and POIs and Map are 2018. The entire process took the exact same time as my homemade USB drive ~42 min.

RMD3819

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
https://syncnavigation.com/ford/home

Is everyone else getting the site down for maintenance?

My download stopped at the same point each time so I decided to try later and can’t get back in. This has been a few days now. I tried also using the link from my receipt but keep getting the same message.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer

My download stopped at the same point each time so I decided to try later and can’t get back in. This has been a few days now. I tried also using the link from my receipt but keep getting the same message.
Image 845.png

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Almost retired
My map version when I purchased the truck in June 2019 was 17, I manually did map version 18 and the truck still showed version 17. I manually did version 19 and my truck still showed version 17. It wasn't until I updated the interface to 3.4, using cyanlab tool, that the map version and POI showed 19. Not that it matters to me, but during the cyanlab reformat/install my phone was removed and saved favorites. I also wasn't certain about all the options to select when using the cyanlab tool. but I checked the navigation box and selected map version 19.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

I haven't been on it for months, but just tried and got the site down for maintenance message.

d_ganggreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I am braving the Cyanlab now. I truly hope it is a one install solution.

d_ganggreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Interestingly enough...on the package for the official Ford USB, the first reference says must be on Sync V.3.4 or higher....every other reference says 3.3. Hmmm.

d_ganggreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Well thank you so much for the links! This worked amazingly, I am on 3.4 and 1.19 maps on both my 19' Ranger an '19 Edge!

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
Highly likely it did. v3.3 has a bug where the nav data version string isn't updating. You can check what's actually installed in the diagnostics menu real quick just to confirm.

Did it restart even once? Have you tried a different thumb drive?
No restarts. Thumb drive is fine. It gets past all prompts to Installing System Update and nothing happens from there!
Sponsored