Found it strange, why is there no real boost gauge?

Jim C.

First Name
Jim C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Maint.
A real boost gauge would be nice.
Sponsored

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse
A real boost gauge would be nice.
In a non-performance oriented vehicle the only real use for a boost gauge would be diagnostics (or aesthetics). Considering that they're deleting light bulbs and bed tie downs, it doesn't surprise me that they didn't include a boost gauge. The non-fleet Crown Vics didn't even come with a tach so at least we have that.

Flowgod

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
My Dad's 2016 F-150 Lariat has a boost gauge option. Not really a performance vehicle either

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Every boosted vehicle I have owned, came with a boost gauge, except the Ranger. Some weren't very accurate, and none included a vacuum reading. Both boost and vacuum can tell you a lot, if you know what to look for. That is why I added a boost gauge to my 2019 Ranger.

Interestingly enough, the original Mustang Eco-Boost didn't have one either, but my 1979 Turbo Mustang did. Go figure.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Because if there was one you would be looking at it and not the road in front of you. Step on accelerator, boost goes up. Release accelerator and boost disappears. No need for common driver to be concerned with it. True gear heads will add one if needed.

My civic Si has one, never is it displayed for my viewing. Now I have one on my turbo bursa and I’m always looking at it for fun.
DD0C3C83-746E-44CF-BA5E-B813028D9556.jpeg

This not me, but it shows a boost gage. The speedo is on the right, it moves like a tachometer but it’s mpg revealing.

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Every boosted vehicle I have owned, came with a boost gauge, except the Ranger. Some weren't very accurate, and none included a vacuum reading. Both boost and vacuum can tell you a lot, if you know what to look for. That is why I added a boost gauge to my 2019 Ranger.

Interestingly enough, the original Mustang Eco-Boost didn't have one either, but my 1979 Turbo Mustang did. Go figure.
I do miss the boost gauge in my WRX, of course it was a little more relevant to me in that car vs the Ranger.

boostgauge.jpg

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

I've had four modern factory turbo vehicles. None of witch had a boost guage stock.

WRX
Legacy GT
FiST
Ranger

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
After years of building and racing Ford Rangers, setting track records and pissing off the top brass at Ford, engineer, artist and single malt lover, Phil Schilke, determined that a boost gauge would never need to be included in any future Rangers that might use a turbo engine.

The reason? Every Ranger owner has a built-in Assometer and when it comes to driving a truck, that’s all one really needs.

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
The information from a boost gauge is irrelevant to the overwhelming majority of drivers. The ECU is constantly monitoring boost/vacuum, and it's far more diligent than you could ever be. If boost or vacuum get out of a sorts it will through a trouble code along with a CEL.

Let's just be honest, do you know how much boost you should be producing when you're at 50% throttle in 5th gear going up a mild grade with 2 passengers and ambient temperature of 86*? The ECU does. Trying to diagnose a problem via boost gauge would likely require you spend an inordinate amount of time looking at it rather than the road.
Sponsored