Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
A. I'm not subscribing to my truck. They cost $50k now a days. Ford can suck it.

and

B. I use GaiaGPS on the phone for "off grid" navagation. More features than Ford ever thought about putting in their system.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Ford offers different packages when you order the vehicle . Are we moaning because we did not choose the package which includes "Built-in services" ?

Screenshot (44).png
Screenshot (45).png
This could be the case and hopefully @SemperVee comes back to clarify this. By the OP it sounds like the GPS is a 3 month trial which in that case is just a money grab by Ford or any manufacturer. Like Dennis @Dr. Zaius said if people keep paying for it they'll all start charging us for every little thing.

I do remember seeing this when placing my Bronco order and thinking if I need these extra maps I'll just use Gaia GPS. If I'm going to pay someone it won't be Ford it'll be a company like Gaia who specializes in that area. We all know how smooth and glitch free Sync is...Oh wait! ? :wink:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Ah, this raises my hackles over our GE refrigerator!

Couple of years ago our Amana fridge stopped fridging.

Went and looked at new ones and found a nice GE with features we wanted so we bought it.

6 months later it starts warning about the water filter for the door water. When the time is up, the GE actually stops dispensing water and making ice.

Come to find out that you can't just use the generic water filters like everyone else, nope, you have to get the "authentic" GE filter that has an RFID tag on it at a cool cost of $50 each.

Sorry, I'm not paying $100 a year for the "privilege" of owning a GE.

It came with a bypass filter to use if you didn't have a replacement handy, so I cut up the bypass and grabbed the RFID out of it and taped it into the fridge permanently.

Now I get a warning of "Not Filtered" whenever I use it but I change the filters every 6 months with the much more reasonable generic filters.

Screw you GE. I will NEVER buy another of your products.
That's how our Epson printer is. It's a great printer/scanner/fax and was not very expensive for what all it does, but the ink is where they pay for their yachts: $112.99 for the color pack, $26.99 for individual colors and $37.99 for black only cartridge. If any of the cartridges runs out, not just black, it won't print even in B&W until the cartridge is replaced. The embedded chip won't let you refill the cartridges yourself, either.
$424.93 for ink in 2021 for my wife's Etsy business. She gives me "The Look" if I print something in color.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
That's how our Epson printer is. It's a great printer/scanner/fax and was not very expensive for what all it does, but the ink is where they pay for their yachts: $112.99 for the color pack, $26.99 for individual colors and $37.99 for black only cartridge. If any of the cartridges runs out, not just black, it won't print even in B&W until the cartridge is replaced. The embedded chip won't let you refill the cartridges yourself, either.
$424.93 for ink in 2021 for my wife's Etsy business. She gives me "The Look" if I print something in color.
I hear ya . I get that look quite often also ,lol

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
My girlfriend bought a cheap printer that used ink like that when they started working from home due to covid. They thought it was only going to be temporary but here we are 2 years later and she's going to be working from home permanently now. We went out and bought a nice laser printer because the toner last so much longer. Check out this site for ink as they have just about every brand available and the generic ones have the chip in them too. They have great sales around all major holidays with free shipping.

https://www.ldproducts.com/

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
My girlfriend bought a cheap printer that used ink like that when they started working from home due to covid. They thought it was only going to be temporary but here we are 2 years later and she's going to be working from home permanently now. We went out and bought a nice laser printer because the toner last so much longer. Check out this site for ink as they have just about every brand available and the generic ones have the chip in them too. They have great sales around all major holidays with free shipping.

https://www.ldproducts.com/
Yep. Our WF 4730 is ink jet. But when it throws a rod, we'll probably look into a laser jet. Hard to justify, though, She prints mostly invoices and mailing labels and she is thinking about winding the business down completely. Now it's quilting ?. You think trucks have a lot of accessories...

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
fb3a3cfbdbcace14b3b22a99cc913ca0.jpg

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Damn that's the truth. I quite buying printer cartridges. I go buy a cheap printer on clearance from wally world for sometimes as little as 19.99. use it till it starts cussing at me for ink (maybe a year) then throw it in the dumpster and go get another.

Last edited:

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
Someone should make a map-app that will work with Android Auto and Carplay. No navigation or GPS just a big traditional map that displays on the screen.

So like this except it'd be on screen and you could move it with your fingers:
View attachment 127314
you can download google maps to use them offline.

it is buried feature but has been there for years.

WNCblueridge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger supercab
Occupation
Goat herder
Direct TV is a piece of work - they would market a 2 yr subscription plan, identifying the cost for each year, I signed up and in my 2nd year they raised my rates 15% more than advertised, so I call them and complained - they said in the fine print of the contract they could do so. So I complained to the FTC that they use deceptive marketing and I got the rate rolled back. Eventually I think Direct TV lost a class action lawsuit for those deceptive practices. I'd never use them again, bunch of dirtbags.

Aren't the GPS satellites paid for by US taxpayers ?
I despise Direct TV and will go without before paying them another dime. Terrible business practices. Constantly over charging. Just waiting for the day they go bankrupt.

mailbox4449

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure yet
A. I'm not subscribing to my truck. They cost $50k now a days. Ford can suck it.

and

B. I use GaiaGPS on the phone for "off grid" navagation. More features than Ford ever thought about putting in their system.
I'll have to look into this. Thanks for the info ;) :inspect:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Yep. Our WF 4730 is ink jet. But when it throws a rod, we'll probably look into a laser jet. Hard to justify, though,
In my experience it's not hard to justify. With an inkjet, if you print a lot, you'll spend a fortune on ink. If you don't print a lot, you'll spend a fortune replacing dried up ink every time you want to print something. I got my first laser printer in 1994, that one ran until 2015, when I got my second one (mostly because I wanted color, but also supplies were getting harder to find and it was time for maintenance on the feed wheels that wasn't worth doing). I've replaced toner a couple of times over the years, but mostly the laser printers just sit there and then when you need to print something, they print. It's certainly a larger up-front cost, but over time they more than pay for themselves. It's like most things these days--you can get something cheap, but over time it becomes clear why it was so cheap.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Having Sync 3 have not had any issues other than updating.. NEW 2021 Bronco after 3 months - *If you don't pay up your GPS stops working entirely! We just found out!
Yes have have Apple car play to run to the screen but LOTS of no cell coverage can and will interupt that use.. Makes us mad!!
I'm with you I wouldn't pay for it. I'm sure a chip shortage fits in there someplace. Defeats the purpose if having it. If the time comes that I buy a newer truck I will seriously look into buying a good quality touch screen radio with free navigation, there are several out there.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Waze...free and peer driven up to date information...

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
When I had kids in school an had to have a printer on hand I always priced the replacement ink for the printer an bought the one with the cheapest refills.
Sponsored