Forscan and new speakers help

Spazzz96

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford ranger XTL
I put new infinity Kappa components in. Non B and O system. XLT Sound is lacking bass even compared to the oem speakers. It's a very noticeable decrease.

I have forscan and read I should be disabling DSP. We'll I do not see it? It appears to be not an option under ACM.

Can someone help me out.

20240220_134937.jpg

20240220_134926.jpg

20240220_134926.jpg
Sponsored

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
Appears software engine sound enhancement is already disabled.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
More likely that the factory head unit can't adequately power the new component speakers. This is very common when speakers are upgraded but nothing else.. A lack of bass is very typical of not enough power. Your head unit cannot move the higher quality (and heavier) speaker cones.

You need to add an amplifier. Get one with speaker level inputs and it will be a fairly simple install. The worst part will be running a power wire from the battery to the amp through the firewall.

I have ran lighting wires through the firewall and can help you locate a good path if needed.

FWIW, the Ranger (with B+O) is the only one of my last five plus vehicles I have not added and amp, speakers and sub too.

OP
OP

Spazzz96

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford ranger XTL
More likely that the factory head unit can't adequately power the new component speakers. This is very common when speakers are upgraded but nothing else.. A lack of bass is very typical of not enough power. Your head unit cannot move the higher quality (and heavier) speaker cones.

You need to add an amplifier. Get one with speaker level inputs and it will be a fairly simple install. The worst part will be running a power wire from the battery to the amp through the firewall.

I have ran lighting wires through the firewall and can help you locate a good path if needed.

FWIW, the Ranger (with B+O) is the only one of my last five plus vehicles I have not added and amp, speakers and sub too.
Geez that sucks. I was really hoping it would be some kind of setting in forscan. I guess I'll have to add an amp earlier than I thought. Is there an am that you recommend? I don't need anything crazy. Maybe just 50 watts? The bass is just really lacking.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Geez that sucks. I was really hoping it would be some kind of setting in forscan. I guess I'll have to add an amp earlier than I thought. Is there an am that you recommend? I don't need anything crazy. Maybe just 50 watts? The bass is just really lacking.
Any of the name brand amps with speaker level inputs work. You want one with auto turn on when it senses a signal, so you don't have to run a second turn on lead. I have used both Pioneer and Alpine amps in the past.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
What are the new speakers rated for ? At least 50 watts per speaker and probably 100 watts or more for a separate subwoofer. How many and what type of speakers will determine how big of an amp you'll need. There are a TON of variables when it comes to stereo stuff and all of it comes into play when putting a system together....google / research is your friend :thumbsup:

Reactions: EJH

Superspirit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ranger
I don't have my spreadsheet with me. But ford programs in massive bass rolloff above 15 on the volume level. You have to go to the acm hex side and change 1 line. Go to 727-01-02 01xxxx change it to 727-01-02 00xxxx ignore the values where i put x's change only that 1 digit it will remove the bass rolloff. I went to my spreadsheet.

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
If you put in new speakers and lost bass then more likely than not you have one of two problems:

1) you didn't install the speakers correctly sealing them to the door, leaving open airspace front to back
2) you made a wiring error and wired a speaker backwards, in which case its reverse phase will literally cancel the bass coming from other speakers

OP
OP

Spazzz96

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford ranger XTL
If you put in new speakers and lost bass then more likely than not you have one of two problems:

1) you didn't install the speakers correctly sealing them to the door, leaving open airspace front to back
2) you made a wiring error and wired a speaker backwards, in which case its reverse phase will literally cancel the bass coming from other speakers
I was careful all along the way about wiring though. I will have to double check. Thanks.

ljames

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jameselectronics.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4x4 FX4, 2011 CRV,1998 Ford E250 super
Occupation
contractor
Having been in the audio business for 50 years, to think that you can replace a woofer with some "better woofer" and have it sound better than the factory install is a shot in the dark. Go back to the original woofer. I can say that the sound of the factory XLT system is quite good, with good balance and linearity thoughout the sound pressure level-volume.

ljames

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jameselectronics.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4x4 FX4, 2011 CRV,1998 Ford E250 super
Occupation
contractor

Very True- often when we put together sound systems with existing wiring and unproven phase, we use a very simple procedure of listening to ONE channel using balance or gain control, listening to the other channel, and when you go back to 2 channels you will notice either 2x the bass or a thinning of the base which points to a phase cancelation.

OP
OP

Spazzz96

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford ranger XTL
UPDATE. Soooooo the wires from the truck to the crossover were backwards. Truck-wire adapter-crossover.

Now it's working just fine.

Thanks.

Ext1809

First Name
Jeffrrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
semi-retired

Where did you go through firewall? Behind and below steering column? Did you go cab to the engine or engine to cab? I have a feeding tube/needle I have used on other vehicles.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer

Where did you go through firewall? Behind and below steering column? Did you go cab to the engine or engine to cab? I have a feeding tube/needle I have used on other vehicles.
I found the passenger side rubber grommet to be easier to run wires though. It is just behind the coolant reservoir, and comes out behind the glove box, towards the door. See my pictures below.

I ran three wires for my light bar. They are black, green and brown. You can see them in my pictures.

Also, there is a little nipple on the grommet you can pull off to expose an existing extra hole in the grommet. It was one of Ford's engineering items that did impress me.

Screenshot 2024-02-28 121542.jpg

Screenshot 2024-02-28 121649.jpg

Screenshot 2024-02-28 121723.jpg

Grandaccess

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Computer Consultant
HD radio is disabled?
I thought thats what tells you the station ID and song thats playing, I think in some states it gives traffic and weather updates?
Sponsored