First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Just saw that myself. Interesting that it showed up at the same time this thread was running. Coincidence? I think so.

However, note the needle-threading and deflection Ford does with their statement. And, as I noted previously, what you might consider "data" and "yours" Ford considers as "theirs" and "something else" in order to create the fig leaf that all is on the up and up.

Yeah, I get it. But that doesn't mean we should just roll over and bend over.

Nothing will ever change if the squeaky wheel decides to stay greased.

Just the fact that Ford noticed/is noticing continued customer-based discontent (article on FA mentioned above) may mean some progress against the data hoovering is being made. Probably not, but we should still keep trying....
Doubt it. A few thousand of the millions of owners complaining won't change jack.
And if it is changed, it will just be hidden until some guru finds it buried in the software.
Sponsored

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I'm not paranoid about being tracked, I just don't like my insurance rates going up for no good reason. I understand the Ranger has a bunch of expensive parts, but after five years of production (and not paying any claims from me) the actuaries should have the rates figured out.
Your insurance rate will go up either way. Your insurance rates are based on other bad drivers on the road too, not just your own. Because if that other driver doesn't have it, your insurance will have to pay out.

The title of this thread is why I don't use FordPass. If you read the details of the FordPass Privacy and Data Collection novels you'd be amazed that Ford hoovers up "everything" via the app. It's beyond intrusive. And you CAN'T get a straight answer from Ford if you call them about this. Just meaningless blather about how Ford cares for their customers.

I get the "but everyone is tracking you" argument, but that doesn't mean I should make it so easy for Ford to do it and then profit off me by selling my data.

Even dealerships are getting in on the game. For example, when I went to purchase my Ford from a particular dealership and was coming with cash they still wanted me to fill out a credit application. They said it was for dealership security; that they could be assured I wasn't a bad sales risk. What? I was coming with cash and several easily verifiable forms of ID and had DECADES of documentation as a Ford buyer! What they really wanted was additional info they could sell and make a few extra bucks. When I confronted them about it they didn't deny it. Needless to say I walked out. Next dealership started to try the same tactic, but when I told them I was walking out they relented. So draw your conclusions about the need for this....

FordPass offers some nice conveniences. But in the end, what's the saying? When you get a product for almost nothing or free, then you're the product?
I don't think it's just the Ford Pass app tracking you, it's the truck's telematics. I don't take my phone with me to lunch, and I get a notice on the screen, something about locations services active.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Since this thread started I've gone into my Ford Pass a few times trying to find crap to turn off. So far I've seen a big fat zero, nada, zilch, goose egg options that allow me to make that choice. What the hell?

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
The more people watching me , the better I say...careful when you confront me with it though...

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Since this thread started I've gone into my Ford Pass a few times trying to find crap to turn off. So far I've seen a big fat zero, nada, zilch, goose egg options that allow me to make that choice. What the hell?
You have to select the option to enable option selection.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
These threads about being tracked or monitored always amuse me. Do anyone really believe in modern society that they can do anything without being tracked or monitored? If someone wants to.

Do you have a cell phone, do you use a computer, do you use a credit card? Your being tracked. Heaven forbid you use Social Media. Walk or drive down a street, you are probably on a camera somewhere. Go into any store and you ARE on a security camera. Do you have any devices in your home tied to the internet? Hell, they know when I wash my clothes. They probably know when I flush my toilet by my water meter.

Yes, you CAN do things to MINIMIZE what is collected. Can you stop it, NO!

Face it, the information is out there. It is just how it gets used and who is using it. If you think you can control that, good luck.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
At this point, the data collection has been occurring for so long and has become so pervasive without much blowback, that they only way you can have substantial changes without going full caveman is going to be through federal legislation.

and precious few people in government understand any of this (see the comments made and questions asked by legislators during any tech-related hearings) to be able to craft intelligent legislation that protects people and gives them more control over what data is collected and what is shared/sold.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Your insurance rate will go up either way. Your insurance rates are based on other bad drivers on the road too, not just your own. Because if that other driver doesn't have it, your insurance will have to pay out.

I don't think it's just the Ford Pass app tracking you, it's the truck's telematics. I don't take my phone with me to lunch, and I get a notice on the screen, something about locations services active.
I never signed up for Ford Pass (to my dealers dismay), and I have never seen a message concerning telematics. That doesn't mean Ford isn't monitoring... time to find that cellular module and remove the antenna cable.

canuckgeek

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I never signed up for Ford Pass (to my dealers dismay), and I have never seen a message concerning telematics. That doesn't mean Ford isn't monitoring... time to find that cellular module and remove the antenna cable.
I don't think the tracking Ford has on how you drive is any more that what can be drived from basic analysis of the GPS data, Start and End of Tip, where you went and top speed.

I say this because I am aware of the inner working of a fairly large fleet that has mostly Ford vehicles. We were looking for a telematics solution to get those details plus harsh braking, harsh cornering, harsh acceleration and speeding. Ford had nothing to offer.

We went with a US company that has an app the driver installs on their phone that uses the phone GPS, gyro, accelerometer and math to figure them out.

This is the same company that sells this app white labeled to insurance companies so they can skin it to look like their own product. This company uses the drivers cell phone because the unit in the Ford vehicles is a very basic cell phone that can only do GPS and data transfer. We know it is a cell phone because older cars lost their Onstar when the cell companies turned down their 3G network a few years back.

Considering the monthly cost of this app per driver I can't see Ford being able to monetize your driving habits and make a profit. You might think they could do it themselves through the Ford app, but the app does not ask for those permissions.

That being said, when you connect your phone to Bluetooth, they collect way too many other things that were mentioned in a previous post. Also the data collection has been going on forever, it started back in the day with product warranty cards. There was no reason for them to know you're age, household income, education level. That was just them making more money selling your household demographics to data brokers.

In the end it's a question of value. Being about to remote start my truck while on the train when it is -25C is enough value for Ford knowing and selling that info about me.

About not being about to stop the tracking, true. But there can be value, if shutting this off stopps my dealer from calling me proactively about service 2-3 times a year it will make me happy. I try to limit my exposure to my dealer (a bag of hammers is smarter than that bunch) and prefer to deal with a trusted independent mechanic.

I also practice a little data fuzzing. Each time they ask I have a different level of education, income, age and what not. Puts a simple on my face knowing they are getting crap data. That and use a VPN on my home network, a Pi-hole with DNSsec and TailScale connection back to my home network when I am remote. Not suggesting it's for everyone, but I'm a geek who likes to play with tech, including the tech in my truck!

OMG, I need to stop typing and get some real work done!

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Their joking, In Canada you click account ini the upper right of the home screen, Privacy, Manage Your Data Sharing, Dealer Data Sharing
Yeah, joking. sorry. But yeah, if I click Account, Privacy, Privacy Dashboard, there are three things to click on, but all I get is just a description of each, that's all I can do. No Dealer Sharing or on/off options.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I turned off my insurance app the other day so I could do a 0-60 run.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
At this point, the data collection has been occurring for so long and has become so pervasive without much blowback, that they only way you can have substantial changes without going full caveman is going to be through federal legislation.

and precious few people in government understand any of this (see the comments made and questions asked by legislators during any tech-related hearings) to be able to craft intelligent legislation that protects people and gives them more control over what data is collected and what is shared/sold.
Given that the government is the biggest collection source, I doubt it will make headway. Remember when Snowden blew the whistle on all the data collection on US citizens by the US government? yeah, neither does anyone else...
Sponsored