todorakiggg

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Wildtrak 2.0 biturbo
Well, no offense taken.
I agree with all you said, new truck should work with no issues, period....
But anyway, that's me, I want to know what is happening under the hood :), so I got the tools for that.
I do not think forscan changes will void the warranty, well it depends I guess. My truck has been with the dealer couple times since I enabled the dpf status and I had no issues.
Practically, you do not change anything, you just enable this info for end user usage, but of course this is a personal decision.
Sponsored

OP
OP

LeroyS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger xlt
Well gentlemen, I threw a grenade in to the dealer and got the date pulled forward. She goes in on the 13th of August now (what a surprise.....they pulled it forward). I've asked them to put more warning lights on and play around with the computer to possibly enable manual regens and get it fixed etc. Be curious to see what the issue actually was. Will report back.

Appreciate all the comments and time for responding. As they say in Scotland "the car's awa doon tae the garage and we'll see fit like. She mecht be ahrecht in the end"

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
Well gentlemen, I threw a grenade in to the dealer and got the date pulled forward. She goes in on the 13th of August now (what a surprise.....they pulled it forward). I've asked them to put more warning lights on and play around with the computer to possibly enable manual regens and get it fixed etc. Be curious to see what the issue actually was. Will report back.

Appreciate all the comments and time for responding. As they say in Scotland "the car's awa doon tae the garage and we'll see fit like. She mecht be ahrecht in the end"
Good luck Leroy! Please keep us informed. Interested to hear the diagnosis.
As they say in the USA, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease".

OP
OP

LeroyS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger xlt
Good luck Leroy! Please keep us informed. Interested to hear the diagnosis.
As they say in the USA, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease".
Cheers. Will report back. Chavvin' awa' neebs. Guy nippet puttin' ma hunnels' oot in tae the cahld. Mechty sare. Hoorna sare.

Google translate doesn't recognise Doric (NE Scots) so will just speak in English. I'm betting this engine warning light is a full to the brim DPF filter that'll be thousands to replace!

todorakiggg

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DPF replacement is the last resort. The dealer has the means to force regeneration, and this is what they will do first, after that they will blame it to your driving habits or the fuel... Keep us posted.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Does your truck use DEF? In the US large diesel motors use Diesel Exhaust Fluid - Ammonia - to help with the cleaning process in the Exhaust Filter. I am no mechanic but I do have a basic working knowledge of these systems and you may need DEF. I do know that smaller diesel engines in the US do not require DEF so being small and European your truck may not use DEF.
In my opinion you're truck has likely never done a Regen - we call it a "burn" because the exhaust system gets extremely hot and burns the particulates out of the filter system. At 3000 miles, depending on driving conditions, your truck should have done it's first one or two regen. I would get it too the service shop ASAP because a clogged DPF system can cause major engine damage.
Got it. Government Juice reduces NoX. Am I correct that smaller diesel engines do not use DEF?
Mostly not. I don't know if Ford gets by with a catalyst-only system or of their diesel has Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR).
NA vehicle & heavy equip/ag diesels use Diesel Exhaust Fluid to help reduce the Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) in the exhaust constantly, regardless of the soot content of the DPF. AFAIK, DEF has nothing to do with the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). We don't have diesel Rangers here (US), so it's hard for us to diagnose properly, but usually there is a separate tank or container for the DEF. If the Def system is not metering properly, or the DEF reservoir is empty, there should be a warning light and/or message & fault code.
@LeroyS' post sounds like it should be running hot and long enough to regenerate completely, but Regen is incomplete. The problem sounds more like a faulty filter condition sensor, and/or not enough fuel entering into the exhaust to create a hot enough soot burnoff.

todorakiggg

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Ranger uses SCR (for the 2.0 biturbo engine), not sure for the rest of the models, but I would assume, it is the same.

todorakiggg

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to add, if the DEF reservoir is empty you won't be able to start the engine. The reservoir itself takes about 20l of Def, once you have 4 litres remaining (give or take), the Dash will start showing the remaining range in terms of Def and once the DEF is depleted you have to call for a flat bed...

OP
OP

LeroyS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger xlt
Well Gentlemen...................the verdict is in.......because it's warranty, there was a lot of spin but it got pinpointed down to a faulty MAF sensor

Vehicle is now all done.

They didn't put any additional sensors and checks on despite me specifically asking and replaced the MAF sensor and cleared the error codes. Turns out this thing was telling the computer the DPF was full and putting it in to semi limp when it wasn't. DPF is all fine.

Thanks to all for support.

Last edited:
OP
OP

LeroyS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger xlt
Spoke too soon....took it our for a drive and 45 mins later the check engine warning light came on again. Ffs. Back in to the garage...

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
Spoke too soon....took it our for a drive and 45 mins later the check engine warning light came on again. Ffs. Back in to the garage...
I didn't want to be superstitious but that was my fear when I read your last post. Going to take a while for the gremlins to show themselves.

We struggle over here with the same dumb crap. Incompetent techs that just replace parts and call it good.

Sorry to hear about your truck. Fingers crossed Ford makes this right!

OP
OP

LeroyS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger xlt
Always the same with techs. Put new things in and hope for the best. Its a shame as my power came back for that 45 mins but as I pull in to the drive, there it goes. My trusty yellow check engine warning light. At least the low end judders and jolts in 1st and 2nd gear are gone....some saving grace

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Always the same with techs. Put new things in and hope for the best. Its a shame as my power came back for that 45 mins but as I pull in to the drive, there it goes. My trusty yellow check engine warning light. At least the low end judders and jolts in 1st and 2nd gear are gone....some saving grace
Hi Leroy,

Is it possible to find another dealer? This one had failed you. Diagnostic help is needed...not parts changers... This is where the Ford system is failing.... Sorry to hear of your plight...

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Hi Leroy,

Is it possible to find another dealer? This one had failed you. Diagnostic help is needed...not parts changers... This is where the Ford system is failing.... Sorry to hear of your plight...
PHIL! Didn't think you'd stay completely gone. ?

OP: I would lean toward a faulty wire/loose connection. Hopefully, they can figure it out for you. As Phil sais, try another dealer if it's an option.

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if I'll have this issue. Mine certainly gets hot and I keep the soot blown out.
Sponsored