First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Fx4
Occupation
Arborist
I noticed after a few thousand miles that the metallic grey on my paint is splotchy on the doors. It's hard to tell or notice if you don't stare at it too long. I showed my coworker and he noticed it instantly after I told him. Ever since, he's been telling I have got take it into ford because that's just unacceptable. He's and ex ford mechanic and told me even though paint isn't covered in the warranty, the dealer can push Ford's buttons to get it fixed. I need make time to do so because it's pretty bad. Also I would agree that our paint is super thin. I have had it since April 21 and already have 5 rock chips... Meanwhile my gfs 8 year old crv has 0.
Sponsored

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
Go on any car forum & they all complain about this, not only Ford.

spartan0078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger lariat
Occupation
Railroader
The clear coat on mine seems to be horrible. It makes me afraid to wash the damn thing.

I can see microscratches all over my black ranger, like anywhere and everywhere and I just don't get it.

I wash with a pressure washer, foam cannon and a wash mitt. And I dry it off with a giant microfibre towel, only going in one direction with everything.

But the clearcoat still looks like the truck has been through a sandstorm.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I have scratches down the side already from driving narrow dirt roads. The branches scrap the sides. Sucks! I hope it buffs out.

It makes me think of getting a wrap. That will protect the paint from dings and UV, then some years later if I get sick of it I can just peel it off.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I have scratches down the side already from driving narrow dirt roads. The branches scrap the sides. Sucks! I hope it buffs out.

It makes me think of getting a wrap. That will protect the paint from dings and UV, then some years later if I get sick of it I can just peel it off.
@Polaris130 did that, and posted about it in another thread. I think it looks quite good, actually, and can see the attraction of doing that.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
@Polaris130 did that, and posted about it in another thread. I think it looks quite good, actually, and can see the attraction of doing that.
Wow that truck is awesome. The thread makes the wrap look not impossible for a DIY'er too.

Something like a realtree/mossyoak wrap wouldn't need to be perfect anyway since it breaks up the truck by design.

arbjosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Fx4
Occupation
Arborist
The clear coat on mine seems to be horrible. It makes me afraid to wash the damn thing.

I can see microscratches all over my black ranger, like anywhere and everywhere and I just don't get it.

I wash with a pressure washer, foam cannon and a wash mitt. And I dry it off with a giant microfibre towel, only going in one direction with everything.

But the clearcoat still looks like the truck has been through a sandstorm.
Look into the 2 bucket method. It is simple and an absolute must for avoiding swirls and scratches. You can get some cheap plastic grates sold on amazon for the 2 bucket method but the only real requirement is....2 buckets. Also finish with a graphic or ceramic. I use turtle wax's graphene max spray.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I bought a truck to be used like a truck... That said, my son bumped my door into a plastic side marker light on my camper the other day and it took a big chunk of paint off the door.

Literally everything that touches the paint harder than a feather damages it. I can damage it with my fingernail. It's absolutely pathetic. I predict this truck will be paint free in 5 more years...

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
you forgot "Ill paint any car any color for 99.99" "RIGHT! ! !"
I am old enough to remember Earl Scheib's pricing ads, which started out at $19.95 and worked their way up, over the years, by tens, to $99.95. Definitely sounds more catchy than, for example, "I'll put paint protection film on any car, any color for $345.00!" Which is the price quoted on the 2021 Ranger "Build and Price":

"Paint Protection Film
$345 S4

Add
Paint Protection Film is available on all Ranger Equipment Groups.
Not available with Tremor Off-Road Graphics Package."

Seriously, has anybody tried this stuff? If it actually improves appearance or durability, I would consider it down the line....

earl scheib.jpg

grizzly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
The paint sucks. That's all there is to it. I complained to the service guy at my local dealer. He said it looks like somebody used a weed wacker near my truck. I said, "no shit", but the reality is the truck has been in my garage or in a parking lot, never near a weed wacker.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Also you can thank the environmentalists for this. New cars are all painted with water based paint nowadays. If you get a respray you might be able to opt for solvent based depending on your local regulations.
Bingo. I remember in the early 90's when the composition of paint first had to change and A LOT of 1990-92 vehicles had to be repainted on warranty because the paint was peeling off in sheets. I had a 91 Lincoln that over time was almost completely repainted little by little. Guy I worked with back then got a new F-250, two-tone, before it was two years old the whole thing was stripped to bare metal and repainted, all on warranty. I was told the problem was actually the primer, not the paint, and the paint wouldn't stick to the new formulation.

No issues on my Ranger and the Sport Trac I had before was 13 years old with over 200,000 miles and the paint looked as good or better than new. I wash and wax a lot.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Too bad Earl Scheib was bought by a private equity company, all value siphoned out & then finally shut down for good.

(For young people: Earl Scheib was famous for their, "$99.95 paint job" as touted in their TV ads)
One of the last Earl Scheib's was here in Pittsburgh. It might still be there. I read once that there were about 6 shops left. Back in the 70's my dad bought a 64 Impala for $1.00 from a neighbor who was going to junk it, we bondo'd up the rust and had Earl paint it for $29.99. It was our first "second" car, we had a new 73 Pontiac also. Kept it for 2 years and sold it for $75.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
A couple threads in the forum regarding paint care. The '2 bucket wash' is good advice, 'detoxing' the iron oxide likely all over the truck from shipping seems smart and wraps/deflectors seem to be good ideas.

The new ceramic wax and graphite finish protection are attractive and while they won't prevent chips and dings they should seem like they would minimize clear coat damage over time.

Paint correction by a good detail shop sounds in order, though I've found professional ceramic coatings to be simply too expensive to justify.

Jim C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger
A couple threads in the forum regarding paint care. The '2 bucket wash' is good advice, 'detoxing' the iron oxide likely all over the truck from shipping seems smart and wraps/deflectors seem to be good ideas.

The new ceramic wax and graphite finish protection are attractive and while they won't prevent chips and dings they should seem like they would minimize clear coat damage over time.

Paint correction by a good detail shop sounds in order, though I've found professional ceramic coatings to be simply too expensive to justify.

it is pricey but if your keeping it it does make cleaning so much easier