First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Sure like to know where all these EV’s will end up once they outlive their usefulness.
Like most things politicians force down our throats, there is no plan. Just like solar panels now they have no plan in place. :shock:

https://electrek.co/2020/08/24/where-do-solar-panels-go-when-they-die/

Here’s the current situation globally: In the EU, producers are required to ensure their solar panels are recycled properly. In Japan, India, and Australia, they’re coming up with a recycling plan. And in the US, with the exception of a state law in Washington that requires manufacturers to recycle the panels, there is no plan.

(At least Senator Angus King (I-ME) introduced the Battery and Critical Mineral Recycling Act of 2020 in March. The bill aims, as it simply states, “to support the reuse and recycling of batteries and critical minerals, and for other purposes.”)

There’s a cost problem in the US because it’s way more expensive to recycle than it is to dump. It costs less than $1 to dump a panel in a landfill and between $12-25 to recycle it, but only $3 is paid out for recovered aluminum, copper, and glass.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
The same that happens to wind turbine blades. They'll dig a big hole and bury them. /s :7
In all seriousness, people that think batteries are better for the environment aren't looking at the long term of mining materials and then disposing of spent batteries. Not to mention that a large
portion (if not most) of the energy to generate electricity is from fossil fuels.

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Sure like to know where all these EV’s will end up once they outlive their usefulness.
Does anyone ever ask what will happen with all the gas cars and their components once they outlive their usefulness?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Does anyone ever ask what will happen with all the gas cars and their components once they outlive their usefulness?
Most get recycled now. They grind them up and then separate the materials for reuse.

Attachments

Jamesb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 501A, Build Date 12/19
Occupation
Engineering
The same that happens to wind turbine blades. They'll dig a big hole and bury them. /s :7
In all seriousness, people that think batteries are better for the environment aren't looking at the long term of mining materials and then disposing of spent batteries. Not to mention that a large
portion (if not most) of the energy to generate electricity is from fossil fuels.
Like everything they're are two sides to a debate. I respect your opinion and would like to point out the following:

True, electricity largely comes from fossil fuels. However this is changing. Over the lifetime of an ev vehicle the amount of emissions generated by the making of the batteries to the electricity required is still far far below that produced by gas engines. They're multiple articles from respected sources stating this.

Being in the mining industry I can tell you that the technology behind battery recycling is ever improving and will continue to do so lessening the impact of having to mine for the rare earth components etc. Etc.

Oil...the world has been "owned' by oil producing countries for much too long. Where does all the used oil go? Gas engines? Used oil filters etc etc. The operating costs involved in an ev vs. gas are also well documented online. No comparison.

Everything we own has some sort of mineral mined from the earth, from plastics, steel, wood etc. Everything bhas a carbon footprint of some degree.

I understand and appreciate their will always be the gas vs. ev debate. These are just a few of my points of view.

Ultimately, looking at the hp and TORQUE, how could one not want those numbers. :crazy: :like:

Cheers

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Those drawings do not depict a Bronco or Ranger IMHO. Looks more like BroncoSport and Maverick sized to me.

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Those drawings do not depict a Bronco or Ranger IMHO. Looks more like BroncoSport and Maverick sized to me.
Yeah for sure look like the sport, maverick, mach-E And then an EcoVan or whatever I guess?

DanaBovender

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
From the Florida Panhandle Residing in Germany
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Gov Employee
Like everything they're are two sides to a debate. I respect your opinion and would like to point out the following:

True, electricity largely comes from fossil fuels. However this is changing. Over the lifetime of an ev vehicle the amount of emissions generated by the making of the batteries to the electricity required is still far far below that produced by gas engines. They're multiple articles from respected sources stating this.

Being in the mining industry I can tell you that the technology behind battery recycling is ever improving and will continue to do so lessening the impact of having to mine for the rare earth components etc. Etc.

Oil...the world has been "owned' by oil producing countries for much too long. Where does all the used oil go? Gas engines? Used oil filters etc etc. The operating costs involved in an ev vs. gas are also well documented online. No comparison.

Everything we own has some sort of mineral mined from the earth, from plastics, steel, wood etc. Everything bhas a carbon footprint of some degree.

I understand and appreciate their will always be the gas vs. ev debate. These are just a few of my points of view.

Ultimately, looking at the hp and TORQUE, how could one not want those numbers. :crazy: :like:

Cheers
Ever see a lithium mine? Disappointing...
Not to mention big Diesel engines run the equipment required

Deleted member 1634

Ever see a lithium mine? Disappointing...
Not to mention big Diesel engines run the equipment required
Ever seen an iron mine? Also disappointing.
I'm not saying lithium mines are great. Just saying that mining of all kinds destroys the surrounding area and environment.

One of the largest lithium mines, Greenbushes AUS:
1622137096533.png

One of the many iron mines near where I live:
1622137216818.png

Note the scales I've added.

DanaBovender

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
From the Florida Panhandle Residing in Germany
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Gov Employee
Both a mess, both probably produce horrific chemicals..... both needed to produce cars.... well maybe....the current leadership will certainly sell out to foreign materials

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Until the EV's can go nearly 500 miles on a charge/tank, fill up in 15 minutes and continue ICEs will be relevant.

Jamesb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 501A, Build Date 12/19
Occupation
Engineering
Ever seen an iron mine? Also disappointing.
I'm not saying lithium mines are great. Just saying that mining of all kinds destroys the surrounding area and environment.

One of the largest lithium mines, Greenbushes AUS:
1622137096533.png

One of the many iron mines near where I live:
1622137216818.png

Note the scales I've added.
Ironically you've touched on something I'm very familiar with and I have no illusions to the effects of mining. I travel to mines all over the world as part of my job as a mineral processing engineer and have worked in mines on five different continents. From the middle of the Congo, to Oz, Canada and Brazil, mining is HORRIBLE for the environment no matter the mineral being processed. Have you looked at oil sands? Forestry? Fisheries? Look at a picture of the Amazon forest today compared to 40 years ago. Devastating.

1622140332242.png

Using your example the lithium mine is larger in scale to the process used for extraction. Lithium is usually found in lake beds, sea beds, salt flats etc and typically isn't mined deeper than 50 meters and then put through leaching processes, therefore larger areas are required compared to pit mining like iron, copper, gold etc. that also use leaching processes among others.

Nevertheless, the manufacturing of goods requires raw materials. Practices have improved drastically over the past couple of decades but always room for improvement.

Cheers.
Sponsored