For those with toppers (aka canopy, shell), can you see through the topper side windows? Are those windows necessary?

lazynorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT FX4
Occupation
Public Health
As you sit in the drivers position, if you turn your head back, look through the rear cab glass, can you even see the passenger side area past your truck bed?

Trying to figure if a topper/canopy/shell window on that side is even viewable from the drivers position. If not, I might consider a contractor type topper, the kind with side access but no window. I've got a crew cab on order, so I know I'll be able to look through the rear passenger side window, just not sure if the angles are right to view through passenger side topper window, too.

I like as much viewable area as possible though, so would go with a traditional topper/canopy with a window or windoor.
Sponsored

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
I can see through my rsi, but I don’t use it often. I wanted to make sure I had lots of viewable area on my shell but now I find that I don’t really need it, except when I’m in the bed (or more likely my dog, I can see outside. Between the camera and turning and looking through the rear seat window, I usually don’t need to look that far back.

Attachments

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I use a Fastop soft topper. It does not have windows on the side. However, often times I use it with the sides rolled up which makes it the same as having side windows.

I notice no significant decrease in outword visibility when the sides are down, aka no windows. It is easier to see in the bed itself due to the additional light.

Flowgod

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
I remember when I picked my truck up after mine (ARE shell) was installed it felt like I couldn't see anything out the back, but I was used to no shell. I agree with doug on the light factor. The windows are pretty heavily tinted but if you had no windows I think it might be tough to see all the way out the back with no light being able to be let in. I cant see much out my shell side windows but don't think I would trade them for a commercial style no window model.

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
I can see clearly through my RSI Smartcap. Easy visibility. I use the rearview mirror daily. Hard part is washing the windows between the cap and the cab. Hands won't fit.

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
As you sit in the drivers position, if you turn your head back, look through the rear cab glass, can you even see the passenger side area past your truck bed?

Trying to figure if a topper/canopy/shell window on that side is even viewable from the drivers position. If not, I might consider a contractor type topper, the kind with side access but no window. I've got a crew cab on order, so I know I'll be able to look through the rear passenger side window, just not sure if the angles are right to view through passenger side topper window, too.

I like as much viewable area as possible though, so would go with a traditional topper/canopy with a window or windoor.
This is the view from my side window, but I have the folding rear headrests. I think it would be less useful with the fixed headrest. JMO.
E93EC430-6913-4017-87E9-86FE52DF45A1.jpeg

Edit: I was wrong. Still have a decent side view with headrest up.
820DC079-BBDD-4A95-BC7E-81869749A123.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
lazynorse

lazynorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT FX4
Occupation
Public Health
This is the view from my side window, but I have the folding rear headrests. I think it would be less useful with the fixed headrest. JMO.
E93EC430-6913-4017-87E9-86FE52DF45A1.jpeg

Wow, thanks! Picture is worth a thousand words, this is exactly the type of view I was trying to imagine. Couldn't have done it without your photo, you rock!

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I notice no significant decrease in outword visibility when the sides are down, aka no windows.
Funny thing is I feel like this picture of yours illustrates my above point nicely. I don't have the folding headrests and leave mine in for the youngsters.

That little square is virtually useless to me for outward visibility. Anything traffic wise I could see through that is large enough to see in my mirrors in my opinion.

Useful for lighting the bed, not so much for driving.
Sponsored