First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Saber Crew Cab XLT Fx4
Occupation
Machinist
So I finally got around to installing the Shrockworks bumper I got with the new winch. I installed everything back, still need to find a good way to strap up the harness wince cutting the lower metal tabs from my OEM bumper, but after wiring the winch and getting the front sensors plugged back in with the retainers (it’s not loose by any means) my front sensors are going crazy every time I stop or go slowly enough for them to start detecting. Is this something that will fix itself after driving around long enough or something that needs to be re calibrated?
Sponsored

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i have no real knowledge on this but id bet they need a re calibration. no idea what the process is. sounds like the sensors didnt like the change to new setup so they are flipping out in protest.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Sorry I am not familiar with this Bumper / Winch install, I read the install procedure and if I understand correctly the sensors are being reinstalled on the OEM Bumper.
So, they are not being moved - Correct?
and the only alteration is the adding of the Winch Mount - Near the Sensors- Correct?

There is no calibration for the Parking Aid sensors, there is an Elevation Check and Azimuth Check with a scan tool, but it directs you to ensure bumper and sensor is installed correctly. (Level and not pointing downwards) and these 2 checks also test the sensors capability to sense an object.

I would ensure they are locked in place correctly and also ensure they are clean and also doublecheck the connector to ensure its secure.
I would hook up Forscan or Scan Tool and clear any codes possibly generated.
You may also try, hitting the park aid switch to turn them off and then reenable.

So, to pinpoint which sensor is tripping an object, with using a scan tool, there may be a code this code will pinpoint the sensor, plus using Live Data, you can view via the PAM module, the Live Data parameter from each sensor. This will help in isolating the sensor that is sensing an object.

I am not sure if Forscan can display that deep in detail, Live Data is where Forscan is limited.

My rough guess is that a sensor is not mounted correctly (centered) possibly pointing downwards and picking up the ground or a connector is not fully seated.

Note: the sensors will only pick up an Object moving towards the sensor, Proximity
So, object moving towards a stationary truck or truck moving towards the object.
This is why I believe you have a sensor pointing towards the ground.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
If you have your winch cable running down to the shackle, maybe it’s being detected by the sensor…???

IMG_5500.jpeg

Or if your fairlead sticks out quite far, maybe it’s being detected…???

IMG_5501.jpeg

Have any pictures of your setup? Posting a few might help folks get you the answer you’re looking for.

OP
OP
Nism0z33

Nism0z33

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Machinist
*fixed* found the error. I appreciate the help guys. I had not done the winch pre tensioning and the hook was swinging around when I would stop. I pulled the hook against the fairlead but not too tight so i can actually pull the cable out later without being bound up. Thanks for all the feedback

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Nism0z33

Nism0z33

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Machinist
you have one of these coveted winch plates too? I ended up taking the front chin off to cut off the bull bar and re weld it with more angle so I can put soft shackles across it. Found it to be too close to the bumper and was hitting my license plate also. Angling it out fixed both my problems. Its nice to know a welder sometimes.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t have a winch at all but I used to know a welder. He had hands as big as snow shovels and as tough as welder’s gloves. Once, he welded something, just holding it in his bare hand, lifted his helmet to have a look at it and then handed it to me. I reached for it and immediately dropped it - it was so hot. He looked at me and said: “What? Too heavy?” 🤣
Sponsored

Last edited: