First day back at the auto plant

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
There's some around the plant somewhere. haha It's use is very policed though since it can contaminate our bonding process and adhesives so it can't be anywhere near the other type of cleaning wipes we have to decontaminate the bonds lest someone grab the wrong wipe bucket. The fogging isn't as big of a deal for most people it seems. I think I just have a bad face shape which exacerbates the situation. haha My solution has been to just expose my nose when I can (like sitting at my desk or standing at the urinal haha) so I can breathe a bit better and see what I'm doing.
My wife (Nurse) says "Wearing a mask off your nose is akin to wearing a condom on your danglies, does about the same good". ;-)
Sponsored

newmantjn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer
I kind of envy the ones who had enough time in to take a look around and say “fuck this. I’m out”. To be able to leave the job finished, pretty much the same way as you started. By getting a cup of coffee next to someone, and chatting a moment and sharing a few smiles without looking like a character in a futuristic nightmare movie with your mask, goggles and face shield. To shake hands with a team mate you haven’t seen in 5 years because he got moved to body shop.
One of the guys I worked with got his 30 in and left. His last day in the office was 3/13 when they sent engineering home. It sucked for him, since he got to say goodbye to nobody. I hope things get back to normal before I retire. I would like to go have a beer with both of my friends.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
At the refinery, i have been coming in half time, but we never closed down since its essential For two months now we have temp checks and 8 questions in the morning and if you go into the cafeteria for lunch they do one temp check on you midday. At first in the morning it took an extra 30 minutes to get through the gate and we had to get there earlier to avoid being late, but its sped up with multiple temp scanners..

We have FR(flame resistant) masks that are washable, i have a few of them and throw them in the wash, its better then an N95 as far as being able to breathe but i would still rather have neither.

Demand for fuels has increased in the last 2 weeks, i feel more secure with my job knowing the demand is going the right direction. Glad and fortunate to be working regardless of my complaining about masks.

Deleted member 1634

My wife (Nurse) says "Wearing a mask off your nose is akin to wearing a condom on your danglies, does about the same good". ;-)
Oh, for sure not the best thing to do, but that's why I only do it at my desk and only when no one else is around. When I'm walking around the plant with others nearby it's up tight to my face covering everything, suffocating and blinding me. haha

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
My wife is a Nurse and has been in a mask all day long every days since this started. She offered a kind word of encouragement.... you will get used to them in short order. Use the wire in the nose piece to tighten the gap around you nose to reduce the fogging.
The wire doesn't do a thing for fogging but it does help keep the mask tighter to your face. I have worn every type of mask and respirator for over 38 years in my business. They suck when it's hot but add humidity and they're unbearable but you just have to deal with it. I know those cotton masks cause a lot of irritation around your face and nose. My girlfriend wears one when she goes out and always has a rash from them.

When we were spraying I'd be in a full Tyvek suit,spray head sock and respirator for hours some days. Not fun when it's 90+ outside and humid as the heat from your body has no where to go. Some days I would have to cut/rip the suit off because it was soaked with sweat and stuck to your body. I'm sure glad those days are over!

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
The wire doesn't do a thing for fogging but it does help keep the mask tighter to your face. I have worn every type of mask and respirator for over 38 years in my business. They suck when it's hot but add humidity and they're unbearable but you just have to deal with it. I know those cotton masks cause a lot of irritation around your face and nose. My girlfriend wears one when she goes out and always has a rash from them.

When we were spraying I'd be in a full Tyvek suit,spray head sock and respirator for hours some days. Not fun when it's 90+ outside and humid as the heat from your body has no where to go. Some days I would have to cut/rip the suit off because it was soaked with sweat and stuck to your body. I'm sure glad those days are over!
That sounds brutal.

Deleted member 1634

Agreed. Pinching the wire does nothing to prevent fogging. If anything, I've found leaving it loose helps reduce (not eliminate) fogging since it doesn't direct the airflow directly on the glasses. But again, maybe my (and possibly yours if you have the same problem) face is just a weird shape that doesn't allow it to work correctly. I do have a fogging problem no matter what sort of face gear I wear, from these masks to my balaclava to my insulated winter headsock.

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Why not just wear a clear face shield, and forget the mask. You can catch germs in your eyes, seems like a face shield would be better medically and ergonomically.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That sounds brutal.
It was awful in the summers and most of my builders were cheap and wouldn't have the ac going. Even the ones that did have it up and running you have to shut it off while spraying or all the over spray would go into the returns and clog up the furnace filter and then freeze up the ac compressor. Ask me how I know. lol ? One good thing I stayed skinny and in shape.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Why not just wear a clear face shield, and forget the mask. You can catch germs in your eyes, seems like a face shield would be better medically and ergonomically.
This was for work when we were spraying so a face shield would've been covered in over spray within minutes. They do have those roll off goggles,kind of like the motocross riders wear but they got covered so quickly they were useless.

Agreed. Pinching the wire does nothing to prevent fogging. If anything, I've found leaving it loose helps reduce (not eliminate) fogging since it doesn't direct the airflow directly on the glasses. But again, maybe my (and possibly yours if you have the same problem) face is just a weird shape that doesn't allow it to work correctly. I do have a fogging problem no matter what sort of face gear I wear, from these masks to my balaclava to my insulated winter headsock.
You're right leaving it a little looser helps. I only wear readers so I was good up until my mid 40's then I started needing them for work for the fine detailed stuff. Yup mine must be a weird shape too. When I was snowmobiling and riding motorcycles there was only one helmet that fit me perfect which of course was one of the most expensive ones Arai. All the others squished my cheeks in and my skull and gave me a headache.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
No I'm talking about you and your co-workers if the mask bothers you, see if you are allowed to substitute a full clear face shield.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08735FS6...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
As a safety person, I would be trying to get them to put you in a Powered Air Purifying Respirator. They are not tight fitting, and because the air is fan fed it cools the wearer.

Face shields only protect the face from particle strikes, the face coverings are really being used to keep what you are breathing out from traveling. The surgical masks are only to catch what you breath out, this is why the fold face up in the inside, and down on the outside.

Safety 3rd.

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

Deleted member 1634

The best idea yet... let's just stop all this stupid shit, and go back to the way we always lived before the spin machine was engaged:

Horowitz: We have been lied to: 6 facts that change everything we know about SARS-CoV-2
I'm not in the camp of this whole thing is hoax, but I'm convinced history will look back on this and show that it wasn't as dangerous as was believed in the moment and the reaction was out of proportion. But hindsight is always clearer than the present. And in the moment of the unknown I do feel it's better to be safe than sorry. The reaction after this will tell the true tale of how we (human race) handle what has happened. I have a feeling politics will take a front seat, as it always does in the US at least, which is unfortunate because politics ruin everything and is the enemy of science, logic, reason, and common sense.

But I've been wrong before, a few times at least, so I'm fine being wrong again if that's how it plays out.
Sponsored