First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
ooba tooba posted this over at The Garage Journal.. A little insight into a working man's take on starting things back up...

It’s been a hectic crazy couple of weeks leading up to this, trying to get projects done knowing I only had a limited time left. I finally opened the “return to work” packet I was sent over a week ago. There is a form with a series of questions we have to answer each morning before the shift starts. Symptoms, travel, blah blah... any “yes” answers and you’re off 2 weeks and report to medical after that. Have to take your temp before work too.

Get there and stand in line before the turnstile and show your completed form and you can pass through. Upon entering the building you must sanitize your hands, and then you are given 2 masks for the day (which you are told to immediately put on) Pass through thermal scanner...it was early so I didn’t notice, but a coworker told me she read the package they came in and it said “does not protect against Flu or Covid” oooookay...

Get to our area and have a 1/2hr meeting detailing all they have done since we shut down. All new polished floors (they do this periodically anyway) new paint everywhere, signs reminding you to wear your mask, and glasses always in the building. Our plant was clean anyway, but it’s spotless now.

Job stations all have spray bottles for our tools we all touch/share. We are to spend the first 10 minutes each shift cleaning and sanitizing our work areas each day (and after the shift) there are dividers between close working spots with 2 or more people. Clear curtains. Plexiglass to prevent us from sitting next to each other at break. I guess these are the good points.

Now during the shut down our team leaders worked with skilled trades to develop these systems. Now most of them have decided to retire. They’ve been waiting for a buyout for over 5 years and it didn’t come (to this company’s seniority guys and gals) this was the push for them. It just isn’t worth the risk, some have told me.

No one is happy about the masks. They are warm. My area is the only section of both connected plants to not have AC. It sucks, sure, but it’s a “good” area to be so it’s a trade off.

On hot days it’s like a 25 degree difference when you walk out to the line. It makes a difference when it’s 95 outside. Add 10 degrees inside for moving machinery.

Today was about 74 in there and everyone was sweating because of the masks. It’s not even hot yet. I predict some passing out come July.

I was hoping management would find it in their hearts to install air back there knowing we would be masked in the dog days. Wasn’t to be. Another negative is we can no longer rotate jobs during the day between breaks. We are stuck on whatever job we start on all day. Rotation now means day to day, not break to break. It’s unfortunate because it really broke up the monotony of the job. It also was a good preventative of carpal tunnel having us switch every few hours. Also, some jobs are way more labor intensive than others. Getting stuck on a “hard” job all day sucks. Sucks worse when it’s 90. Add the mask and lots of people will be bitching.

Hours are cut back to 8 no overtime or weekends for now. Management was also able to eliminate some jobs they’ve been itching to get rid of (making it more difficult for us plebes) That’s a whole different story for another rant. I kind of envy the ones who had enough time in to take a look around and say “fuck this. I’m out”. To be able to leave the job finished, pretty much the same way as you started. By getting a cup of coffee next to someone, and chatting a moment and sharing a few smiles without looking like a character in a futuristic nightmare movie with your mask, goggles and face shield. To shake hands with a team mate you haven’t seen in 5 years because he got moved to body shop.

I’m hoping this is a temporary thing, and not the “new normal”. I’m less optimistic than some of our younger team members. They seem to think we’ll be back to “normal” within a few weeks. Kind of sobering. We’ll see how it goes.

PS: I probably should have clarified that my thread was just an observation. If I came across as having a bitch/moan session, that’s my fault. I do feel fortunate where I am at. I was just trying to be honest about what I, and my coworkers, consider negative points throughout all of this. No big deal. It’s all good.
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

A someone in the same boat (not an auto plant, but an aircraft manufacturing plant that opened a couple weeks ago) I can pretty much confirm everything said.
The masks suck. They're hot, fog up my glasses constantly, and are hard to breathe with. I find myself leaving work everyday with a headache because of face irritation, jaw clenching, and lack of fresh air.
The temp checks and questions every morning aren't so bad anymore. It's just part of the routine now and it's not terribly invasive.
The distancing requirements make some aspects of work difficult. But everyone has kind of gotten used to it and there's an unwritten agreement that the 6ft barrier can be broken when needed for a limited amount of time.
We've implemented an app for people to clock in and out instead of standing in a huge group at the timeclock.
None of this is going to change anytime soon, that's for sure. I fully expect things to be this new status quo for at least through the summer, if not longer. And in the end, this'll just become routine and normal after that long. It is what it is, and nothing really to do about it.

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
A someone in the same boat (not an auto plant, but an aircraft manufacturing plant that opened a couple weeks ago) I can pretty much confirm everything said.
The masks suck. They're hot, fog up my glasses constantly, and are hard to breathe with. I find myself leaving work everyday with a headache because of face irritation, jaw clenching, and lack of fresh air.
The temp checks and questions every morning aren't so bad anymore. It's just part of the routine now and it's not terribly invasive.
The distancing requirements make some aspects of work difficult. But everyone has kind of gotten used to it and there's an unwritten agreement that the 6ft barrier can be broken when needed for a limited amount of time.
We've implemented an app for people to clock in and out instead of standing in a huge group at the timeclock.
None of this is going to change anytime soon, that's for sure. I fully expect things to be this new status quo for at least through the summer, if not longer. And in the end, this'll just become routine and normal after that long. It is what it is, and nothing really to do about it.
What type of mask are they having you use, an N95?

Wait, kids & people with breathing problems should NOT wear N95 masks?

Deleted member 1634

We do have a handful of N95 masks onsite for the types of jobs which require that type of mask anyways, not for Covid reasons though. The people wearing those masks would be wearing them anyways just for their regular work task. For the rest of we just get the basic surgery masks (or we can use our own if we have it). They're quite low quality because they give everyone a new one everyday, so they break often and don't smell or feel the greatest.

1589908619515.png

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
We do have a handful of N95 masks onsite for the types of jobs which require that type of mask anyways, not for Covid reasons though. The people wearing those masks would be wearing them anyways just for their regular work task. For the rest of we just get the basic surgery masks (or we can use our own if we have it). They're quite low quality because they give everyone a new one everyday, so they break often and don't smell or feel the greatest.

1589908619515.png
I can't imagine wearing one of those all day.

Curious as to where the masks are made? They look a lot like these... Making masks

Deleted member 1634

Curious as to where the masks are made? They look a lot like these... Making masks
It's no fun. And I wouldn't be surprised. They don't have any markings or labels on them whatsoever, so who knows where they're from.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The company my girlfriend works for is doing the exact same thing. She works in the accounts receivable dept and they're all still working from home but they just had to fill out a questioner about returning to the office. Almost every single one of them said they do not want to go back because they don't feel safe and they're all being very productive from home. Seeing as this is in Chicago and they have a high Covid rate I can understand this. Besides,I think none of them miss dealing with the morning/afternoon commutes through the city. They're supposed to let the office workers know in the next week as to what they're going to do but her boss said she's pushing for their dept to remain home through July. Then there's talk of having an on/off staff where half the dept goes in for a week (or two) while the other half works from home then switch. The one good thing about this is she's now finding out she can do her job remotely,they've been shut down for 7 weeks, so when she does move here with me she can keep her job. She has 24 years there and being able to relocate and still have all her seniority,pay and benefits will make life so much easier for her.

The also sent them a video and newsletter on all the changes they've made to the plant along with all the new rules. The plant workers are still working and like the article that John posted it's very similar to what they did there. Plexi-glass dividers,thick clear plastic curtains in the packaging area,masks,temps taken 2x's a day and NO one is allowed to come to work if they're sick anymore. There's no ac back in the plant either so the whole mask thing will be annoying and irritating for them too once summer comes. Anyone entering the building will have to have their temperature taken. This is a huge industrial plant so there are many people coming and going throughout the day from delivery guys to salesman of the many vendors they deal with. Life sure will be different for the foreseeable future.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
ooba tooba posted this over at The Garage Journal.. A little insight into a working man's take on starting things back up...

It’s been a hectic crazy couple of weeks leading up to this, trying to get projects done knowing I only had a limited time left. I finally opened the “return to work” packet I was sent over a week ago. There is a form with a series of questions we have to answer each morning before the shift starts. Symptoms, travel, blah blah... any “yes” answers and you’re off 2 weeks and report to medical after that. Have to take your temp before work too.

Get there and stand in line before the turnstile and show your completed form and you can pass through. Upon entering the building you must sanitize your hands, and then you are given 2 masks for the day (which you are told to immediately put on) Pass through thermal scanner...it was early so I didn’t notice, but a coworker told me she read the package they came in and it said “does not protect against Flu or Covid” oooookay...

Get to our area and have a 1/2hr meeting detailing all they have done since we shut down. All new polished floors (they do this periodically anyway) new paint everywhere, signs reminding you to wear your mask, and glasses always in the building. Our plant was clean anyway, but it’s spotless now.

Job stations all have spray bottles for our tools we all touch/share. We are to spend the first 10 minutes each shift cleaning and sanitizing our work areas each day (and after the shift) there are dividers between close working spots with 2 or more people. Clear curtains. Plexiglass to prevent us from sitting next to each other at break. I guess these are the good points.

Now during the shut down our team leaders worked with skilled trades to develop these systems. Now most of them have decided to retire. They’ve been waiting for a buyout for over 5 years and it didn’t come (to this company’s seniority guys and gals) this was the push for them. It just isn’t worth the risk, some have told me.

No one is happy about the masks. They are warm. My area is the only section of both connected plants to not have AC. It sucks, sure, but it’s a “good” area to be so it’s a trade off.

On hot days it’s like a 25 degree difference when you walk out to the line. It makes a difference when it’s 95 outside. Add 10 degrees inside for moving machinery.

Today was about 74 in there and everyone was sweating because of the masks. It’s not even hot yet. I predict some passing out come July.

I was hoping management would find it in their hearts to install air back there knowing we would be masked in the dog days. Wasn’t to be. Another negative is we can no longer rotate jobs during the day between breaks. We are stuck on whatever job we start on all day. Rotation now means day to day, not break to break. It’s unfortunate because it really broke up the monotony of the job. It also was a good preventative of carpal tunnel having us switch every few hours. Also, some jobs are way more labor intensive than others. Getting stuck on a “hard” job all day sucks. Sucks worse when it’s 90. Add the mask and lots of people will be bitching.

Hours are cut back to 8 no overtime or weekends for now. Management was also able to eliminate some jobs they’ve been itching to get rid of (making it more difficult for us plebes) That’s a whole different story for another rant. I kind of envy the ones who had enough time in to take a look around and say “fuck this. I’m out”. To be able to leave the job finished, pretty much the same way as you started. By getting a cup of coffee next to someone, and chatting a moment and sharing a few smiles without looking like a character in a futuristic nightmare movie with your mask, goggles and face shield. To shake hands with a team mate you haven’t seen in 5 years because he got moved to body shop.

I’m hoping this is a temporary thing, and not the “new normal”. I’m less optimistic than some of our younger team members. They seem to think we’ll be back to “normal” within a few weeks. Kind of sobering. We’ll see how it goes.

PS: I probably should have clarified that my thread was just an observation. If I came across as having a bitch/moan session, that’s my fault. I do feel fortunate where I am at. I was just trying to be honest about what I, and my coworkers, consider negative points throughout all of this. No big deal. It’s all good.
Kinda sounded like a bitch-session. And when you started on the Hot work environment comments, I was going to tell you about my Battalion in Afghanistan... But we each deal with our situation the best we can. Thanks for building trucks Ford Tough!

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Kinda sounded like a bitch-session. And when you started on the Hot work environment comments, I was going to tell you about my Battalion in Afghanistan... But we each deal with our situation the best we can. Thanks for building trucks Ford Tough!
Last paragraph:

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase

Those masks do suck when you are doing manual labor. A lot of movement and a little extra breathing is difficult when you are not used to it. I wear a mask sometimes for my job anyway, sometimes up to 4hrs a day/twice a day. When I sweat and the mask gets wet, it is really difficult to breathe normally.

I had to take a treadmill stress test at one of our local hospitals.....wearing the mask. That really was a different experience!

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2020 Escape AWD Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I could not imagine what it would be like to wear a mask all day. When we had the forest fires here in 2017 we used them intermittently but not all day. I could not breathe very well with them on. I give anybody who wears one a lot of credit.

Ranger Roger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit, 2004 Honda ST1300abs, 2018 Honda HR-V
The company should supply anti-fog solution for your glasses. It's a safety issue. I know the problem. People are using Rain-X, shaving cream, etc.

Deleted member 1634

The company should supply anti-fog solution for your glasses. It's a safety issue. I know the problem. People are using Rain-X, shaving cream, etc.
There's some around the plant somewhere. haha It's use is very policed though since it can contaminate our bonding process and adhesives so it can't be anywhere near the other type of cleaning wipes we have to decontaminate the bonds lest someone grab the wrong wipe bucket. The fogging isn't as big of a deal for most people it seems. I think I just have a bad face shape which exacerbates the situation. haha My solution has been to just expose my nose when I can (like sitting at my desk or standing at the urinal haha) so I can breathe a bit better and see what I'm doing.

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
I could not imagine what it would be like to wear a mask all day. When we had the forest fires here in 2017 we used them intermittently but not all day. I could not breathe very well with them on. I give anybody who wears one a lot of credit.
My wife is a Nurse and has been in a mask all day long every days since this started. She offered a kind word of encouragement.... you will get used to them in short order. Use the wire in the nose piece to tighten the gap around you nose to reduce the fogging.
Sponsored