First 2.3L Ranger Engine Bay Pictures!

Tomsriv

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Dodge Magnum RT (345 V8), 1971 Buick Riviera (455 V8)
That’s a burly looking fan shroud.

It looks a little cramped, but the spark plugs are right on top and hopefully the oil filter is easy access right on the bottom. Nothing else will need to be touched.

Does it have a transmission dipstick?
Sponsored

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
That’s a burly looking fan shroud.

It looks a little cramped, but the spark plugs are right on top and hopefully the oil filter is easy access right on the bottom. Nothing else will need to be touched.

Does it have a transmission dipstick?
I highly doubt there’s a transmission dipstick. You service the fluid when it hits its maintenance interval, otherwise you leave it alone unless you get a check engine light triggered by a low fluid quantity code.

Tomsriv

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Dodge Magnum RT (345 V8), 1971 Buick Riviera (455 V8)
I highly doubt there’s a transmission dipstick. You service the fluid when it hits its maintenance interval, otherwise you leave it alone unless you get a check engine light triggered by a low fluid quantity code.
I’ve noticed them being phased out. My wives Toyota minivan has “lifetime” fluid. But for a truck Towing a heavy load it would be nice to be able to change it. And to know how much to put back in.

OP
OP
rangerdanger

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve noticed them being phased out. My wives Toyota minivan has “lifetime” fluid. But for a truck Towing a heavy load it would be nice to be able to change it. And to know how much to put back in.
I have attached the relevant pages from the owner's manual. Short answer is 12.8qt (12.1 L) of auto transmission fluid every 150,000 miles.

ExtractPage1-1.png
ExtractPage3-1.png
ExtractPage4-1.png

WXman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Looks like the plugs are easy to get to. Most guys with EcoBoosts change plugs more often than the manual states because of how dirty these engines run. I wonder if there is an auxiliary battery mounted under that main battery? This truck does have Electronic Start/Stop doesn't it? Typically those have a hidden battery and system of relays somewhere.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I think my 2003 4.0L had 210 horsepower. But it also weighed a little over 3,600 lbs. This new Ranger is 275 horsepower? And 800 lbs. heavier? There will be a performance difference, but not as much as we may think.

As far as cannibalizing F-150 sales, the pricing on Ranger will be enough to prevent that from happening. Look at GM...with rebates and incentives there are guys buying Silverados with Z71 package for upper $30k range. A moderately equipped Colorado is the same price with no where near the rebates. Same thing is going to happen to Ranger. A lot of folks will go to the dealership interested in the Ranger...but once they see the F-150s parked there with $8,000 rebates suddenly there will be a decision to make.
This will be my fourth new Ranger, and I have heard that same argument every time.
I chose the Ranger again.
Love the F-150 but I didn't wait this long , only to buy something too big for my use.

Also I'm thinking 3900 pounds for my STX Supercab 2WD?
My estimate says the 2019 Ranger beats my 2001 by at least 2 pounds per HP
I forgot exactly what my present 4.0L 5SPD regular cab shortbox weighs... but it handily keeps V8 Silverados in its rear view mirror.
I expect my new Ranger will be a solid improvement in every measurable parameter except wheelbase.
I just hope it has a reliability record matching my last 14 new Fords.

Last edited:

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
My '16 Explorer has one... Looks more like a power steering dip stick though

Bubbabiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
If the 10spd is built like the 6spd auto there could be a dipstick in the service port plug on the side of the transmission.
Sponsored