2019 Ranger 2.3L EcoBoost engine?

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Every single EcoBoost engine, as far as I know, is rated using premium fuel.
I'm curious why everyone here seems to think that the Ranger will have similar hp/tq as the Focus RS? The RS is the high performance offering from SVT, yet every Ranger will be close? I just don't see that happening, even with the current generation RS powerplant being largely carried over. I think it's possible we will see an aggressive torque figure, possibly in the RS range of 350 lb/ft, but horsepower will be under 300 in that configuration. I think Ford is designing the hp/tq numbers to take advantage of the 10 speed transmission and shifting multiple times to keep within it's sweet spot better.
SVT hasn't made a car in years since it was merged with Ford racing into "Ford Performance". But I agree it may have RS tq numbers but I see hp numbers around 300 or less
Sponsored

FordBlueHeart

First Name
Torr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F250 King Ranch 6.0l
Occupation
Collision Repair Estimator
SVT hasn't made a car in years since it was merged with Ford racing into "Ford Performance". But I agree it may have RS tq numbers but I see hp numbers around 300 or less
Yep, you're right. Had a memory lapse. I was thinking of the Raptor when it first came out...with the 5.4l. Haha!

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
Unless it makes a difference in fuel economy, I would expect them to put HP at 310 at a min just to hold the power crown in the segment. Torque should be in the 350 range. However, even if it had the exact Focus RS engine in it, this is a vehicle that weighs in at least 1k pounds heavier which drastically changes performance metrics. The 2.7L in the F-150 puts out 400 lb-ft. That said 350 lb-ft in the ranger makes sense when you look at current F-150 weight (with the 2.7L) sits at 4,400 lbs and the average midsize truck is 4,400-4,700 lbs.

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I personally don't see the Ranger coming in at over 300HP, but of course, I wouldn't complain if it did. An engine suited for truck duty, typically is tuned for less HP, especially if it is an engine (for the most part) that is shared with a car based counterpart. The main reason for the use of a block that mostly matches the Focus RS, I would be willing to bet is mainly for the strength (some extra supports/ gussets) and heat management. In addition, manufacturers, for the most part, will provide "just enough" to edge out the competition, and that is what I expect Ford to do here, especially with torque. The torque figure alone will for sure be nice (read greater) when compared, but I still expect it to be within the lower end of the spectrum of what the engine block has produced in other car based products. The torque produced by the Ranger will come in much lower in the RPM range than the competitors NA V6 offerings, and will also be sustained for a good portion of the powerband - with extremely minimal or no turbo lag. The power-to-weight ratio when comparing to full-size trucks, the mid-size are not allowed to be superior in any way, and especially power-to-weight, that's just the way the manufacturers want it and will keep it. If Ford wasn't so delicate with their F-150 sales crown, we would see much better product, and same can be said for ANY of the other manufacturers. They could have just called it the F-100 and made the trim levels XL, XLT, Lariat and Ranger, which would have skirted the whole thing, but those full-size trucks are FULL of profit, even with those $10-12K worth of incentives, don't let these manufacturers fool you. Ah, getting off topic though.

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
I personally don't see the Ranger coming in at over 300HP, but of course, I wouldn't complain if it did. An engine suited for truck duty, typically is tuned for less HP, especially if it is an engine (for the most part) that is shared with a car based counterpart. The main reason for the use of a block that mostly matches the Focus RS, I would be willing to bet is mainly for the strength (some extra supports/ gussets) and heat management. In addition, manufacturers, for the most part, will provide "just enough" to edge out the competition, and that is what I expect Ford to do here, especially with torque. The torque figure alone will for sure be nice (read greater) when compared, but I still expect it to be within the lower end of the spectrum of what the engine block has produced in other car based products. The torque produced by the Ranger will come in much lower in the RPM range than the competitors NA V6 offerings, and will also be sustained for a good portion of the powerband - with extremely minimal or no turbo lag. The power-to-weight ratio when comparing to full-size trucks, the mid-size are not allowed to be superior in any way, and especially power-to-weight, that's just the way the manufacturers want it and will keep it. If Ford wasn't so delicate with their F-150 sales crown, we would see much better product, and same can be said for ANY of the other manufacturers. They could have just called it the F-100 and made the trim levels XL, XLT, Lariat and Ranger, which would have skirted the whole thing, but those full-size trucks are FULL of profit, even with those $10-12K worth of incentives, don't let these manufacturers fool you. Ah, getting off topic though.
I agree that Ford will work to edge out the competition. That said, the most HP in the segment is the GM 3.6L V6 at 308hp. The highest torque in the segment is the GM 2.8L 4 cyl Diesel at 369 lb-ft. If you want to compare torque in just the gas engines, the Frontier leads the pack at 281 lb-ft.

I have seen the mustang version tuned to 370hp and 420 lb-ft reliably. While I don't think they will try to beat the diesel torque, I do think they will be well above that of the Frontier. 310hp and 320-350 lb-ft torque seems like a reasonable guesstimate.

OP
OP

GStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
So it seems that Ford has applications of the 2.3L EcoBoost it could easily stick in the Ranger to give it class leading HP and TQ so the question is just if they decide to do it or not. So why would they not do it then? Would it hike the Ranger price too high? Or maybe they don't want Ranger to infringe on F-150 sales too much?

bravesfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Isn't the 2.3L in the Mustang due for a power bump soon or did this happen recently? I'd be happy with 310hp / 320tq stock and there's a lot more power that can be gained in the aftermarket.

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
So it seems that Ford has applications of the 2.3L EcoBoost it could easily stick in the Ranger to give it class leading HP and TQ so the question is just if they decide to do it or not. So why would they not do it then? Would it hike the Ranger price too high? Or maybe they don't want Ranger to infringe on F-150 sales too much?
If they released the engine at 310hp and 350 lb-ft and if the weight comes in somewhere around 4,400 lbs (it should based on segment numbers) then the Ranger would have approximately the same power to weight ratios as the 2.7L in the F-150. If you compare similar builds and trims the Ranger comes in about 8k under the 2.7L F-150. So it makes more sense to drop the torque to maybe 320 and hold the "gas" engine torque title for midsize trucks. That and the next point.

The engine still needs to make it to 370lb-ft of torque needed to take the torque crown from that duramax diesel. While I have seen these numbers hit with these engines, it wouldn't leave Ford much room to produce a High Output version of it for the Ranger Raptor.

Obviously the aftermarket could push these little engines quite hard but Ford has to maintain a "safe tune" for warranty reasons.

Xfitter

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
If they released the engine at 310hp and 350 lb-ft and if the weight comes in somewhere around 4,400 lbs (it should based on segment numbers) then the Ranger would have approximately the same power to weight ratios as the 2.7L in the F-150. If you compare similar builds and trims the Ranger comes in about 8k under the 2.7L F-150. So it makes more sense to drop the torque to maybe 320 and hold the "gas" engine torque title for midsize trucks. That and the next point.

The engine still needs to make it to 370lb-ft of torque needed to take the torque crown from that duramax diesel. While I have seen these numbers hit with these engines, it wouldn't leave Ford much room to produce a High Output version of it for the Ranger Raptor.

Obviously the aftermarket could push these little engines quite hard but Ford has to maintain a "safe tune" for warranty reasons.
Yup that's music to the ears of those of us willing to tune! Knowing that the engine is purposely restricted for lineup hierarchy reasons. Means plenty of power left on the table ;)

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I suspect Ford needs to be cognizant of SAE J2807 towing standards. Directly placing a car engine and tune into a truck could be a nightmare if many parameters aren't reevaluated for the engines duty cycle in a truck vs. car application. It really doesn't have anything to do with price. The use of the I4 2.3L-T engine is strategic. That engine's capacity in truck form will not encroach on F150 power levels too much and won't exceed. When comparing to the competition, the Ranger will provide near 300HP, which places it on par with current NA V6 offerings. The torque will be moderately greater than NA V6 offerings and close or nearing Diesel TQ. Lastly, I suspect fuel efficiency (EPA), will edge out NA V6 offerings in City/ Hwy/ Combined, but be pretty close to the Diesel offerings. As crazy as things may be for Ford right now, they do know how to build trucks and know their Ecoboost products well, which will provide a Ranger powertrain that is favorable; good HP, great TQ, and decent efficiency. Looking at it from that perspective (business), one could see the reason Ford chose one engine /powertrain combination at launch.

I'm also game for seeing how the Ranger's aftermarket tunes will take the engine safely to a bit more HP and TQ.

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Remember, this engine is going into a truck, the duty cycle and heat management requirements are completely different than what is required in car form.

The horsepower and torque rating I would expect to be around 275-295HP and around 300-320 TQ. They could take HP and TQ, but I'd be curious if they tune for predominantly Regular Fuel rather than Premium, which would call for the lower end of the range. Should be interesting to see where Ford places the ratings in the end. It is a crap-chute now, just mere guessing for something to discuss.
Looks like I was pretty close, just as I figured!

Ford Confirmed: 270 HP/ 310 TQ

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
Looks like I was pretty close, just as I figured!

Ford Confirmed: 270 HP/ 310 TQ
HP is a little lower than I was hoping for but the torque didn't disappoint. I am wonder how much fuel economy played into the final numbers. Still waiting on that stat.

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
HP is a little lower than I was hoping for but the torque didn't disappoint. I am wonder how much fuel economy played into the final numbers. Still waiting on that stat.
Not sure, but I'd suspect a car engine tuned for truck duty is most likely the driver of the ratings, with heat management and towing large factors.

OP
OP

GStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Not sure, but I'd suspect a car engine tuned for truck duty is most likely the driver of the ratings, with heat management and towing large factors.
Right and I also think that once we see the Ranger 2.3L dyno chart we'll see that it's been tuned to deliver its torque as early as possible, coming on even earlier than other applications (i.e. Mustang), which would be beneficial for towing.
Sponsored