2019 Ranger 2.3L EcoBoost engine?

Discussion in 'General Ford Ranger Discussions' started by GStar, Aug 14, 2018.

1. GStar

GStar Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mustang
    I just read in the Raptor section that it will probably get the 2.3L Ecoboost. So will the 2.3L in the regular Ranger be the same engine, just de-tuned for less power?

2. rduvall

rduvall Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    Altima
    This engine already exists in the Mustang and Focus RS. In the Focus it is a high output version that could make its way to the Raptor. Officials from Ford have stated that it is essentially the same engine base from these vehicles but that it would be tuned for "truck" duty. Early estimates based on other vehicles in the segment suggest 310hp and 320lb-ft torque, but that is 100% speculation at this point.

3. Xfitter

Xfitter Member

First Name:
    Steven
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Focus ST
    The output for the 2.3L EcoBoost engine covers a really wide range depending on the vehicle.
    • 280 hp (209 kW; 284 PS) @ 5600 rpm, 310 lb⋅ft (420 N⋅m) @ 3000 rpm
      • 2016–2017 Ford Explorer
    • 285 hp (213 kW; 289 PS) @ 5500 rpm, 305 lb⋅ft (414 N⋅m) @ 2750 rpm
      • 2015– Lincoln MKC
    • 310 hp (231 kW; 314 PS) @ 5500 rpm, 320–350 lb⋅ft (434–475 N⋅m) @ 3000 rpm
      • 2015– Ford Mustang EcoBoost
    • 350 hp (261 kW; 355 PS) @ 6000 rpm, 350 lb⋅ft (475 N⋅m) @ 3200 rpm
      • 2016– Ford Focus RS[48]
      • 2016- Zenos E10 R[49]
    • 385 hp (287 kW; 390 PS) @ 6000 rpm, 369 lb⋅ft (500 N⋅m) @ 3200 rpm
      • 2016–2017 VUHL 05 RR
    My hope is that the standard Ranger gets the Mustang's figures (310hp / 320lb-ft) and the Ranger Raptor gets the Focus RS numbers (tuned to even more torque).

4. sfcoyote

sfcoyote Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GTPP
    The 2.3 is a proven engine albeit with some history of issues on the Mustang. I do wish we could get the 2.7 EB for the Ranger Raptor which makes 325 HP and 400 TQ on the F150.

FordBlueHeart likes this.
  5. YellowBee

YellowBee Member

Vehicle(s):
    S550
    Good thing is there should be tuning and other engine mods pretty much right out the gate for the 2.3l Ranger.

6. NY35

NY35 Member

Vehicle(s):
    Zamboni
    I would suspect that the Ranger will get somewhere between the MKC and Mustang's power output. Anyone know how the extra power is being achieved between the MKC and the Mustang and the Mustang and the Focus RS? Is it just ECU software tuning or are there hardware differences too?

7. SSingh1975

SSingh1975 New Member

Vehicle(s):
    2011 BMX X5 Diesel
    Hows does the Ranger engine compare to the 3.5L Tacoma engine? I was all set for the 2018 Tacoma TRD Sports Crewcab this year but I read the Ranger is coming back. Not sure if US will get the diesel (I've driven the Ranger D in South Pacific last year on vacation and really liked it).

The Tacoma 3.6L is supposedly under powered but can't be beat in terms of long term reliability. I'm sure Ranger will give Tacoma a run for the money now in the mid truck market segment but the engine will play a big role.

8. Beef_Stew

Beef_Stew Active Member

First Name:
    Aaron
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 F150 STX
    I've heard a lot of Tacoma owners complain about the new 3.5 being a slug when it comes to get up and go. And owners wishing Toyota stayed with the old 4.0 in the tacos. I'm guessing the ranger will have plenty more power and pull much better mpg's than the taco. Toyota does know how to build a reliable engine though.

9. Administrator

Staff Member

The 2.3L ecoboost going into the Ranger is actually a modified Focus RS engine rather than a modified Mustang engine (even though both are fundamentally the same engine). The reason for that is the Ranger needs enough torque to beat out the Colorado, which the Focus RS engine provides. So we're likely to see closer to Focus RS hp/torque figures. Which should make it class-leading. :)

Here's a great analysis of the Ranger ecoboost engine and how it compares to the Focus RS motor, by Road & Track.

Our first hint that it's based on the unit found in the Focus RS comes from the design of the block. That shows us that the Ranger motor employs a cross-drilled deck for cooling which is only found in the Focus RS at this time. The general idea is that coolant flows through the block below the bore bridge instead of across the top. Inside the block, the rotating assembly appears to be lifted straight from the Focus RS; it contains the forged crankshaft, forged connecting rods, and coated pistons found in the hot hatch.

Cross-Drilled Deck

[​IMG]

Ranger Engine rods and crank

[​IMG]

Although the top is almost identical to the Focus RS block, the bottom has been modified and has a slightly different casting. The oil pump has been moved from its location beside the crank gear and now runs off the balance shafts in the oil pan. This move was likely done to make the front a little narrower in order to make space for the four-wheel drive components that will be used in the Ranger.

Ranger oil cooler

[​IMG]

The oil cooling system has also been upgraded with the addition of a new housing that includes a larger oil cooler and a filter that now points to the side instead of down towards the oil pan. This housing is novel since it also appears to be where the motor mount will connect to the engine.

Ranger cylinder head and new fan mount

[​IMG]

The oil pump move is not the only change to the front of the block as the harmonic balancer has also been changed. It now includes a provision for a wider front belt which will coincide with the belt-driven fan that will be installed on the Ranger. This is also apparent when you look a little higher up towards the cam gears where there is now a cast mount for the fan to attach to. The timing cover has been modified to allow for the fan mount and the removal of the oil pump below. The rest of the belt drive appears to be identical to the Focus with the water pump visible in the same 3 o’clock position on both engines.

Front of the Ranger's engine

[​IMG]

Moving up towards the cylinder head it is apparent that most of it was transferred over. The head casting and valvetrain components appear to be identical but a few external changes have been made. The valve cover shows some additional strengthening ribs on the front but is mostly the same. The direct injection pump is mounted in the same position on the left rear side of the head but the vacuum pump beside it on the Focus is gone. This pump is used to provide a vacuum backup for the brake booster on the other models and the unit may now be gone or relocated on the Ranger.

Ranger EGR and direct injection pump

[​IMG]

We now find an EGR cooler below the injection pump which has not been used on this size of EcoBoost motor in the past. The EGR system was likely implemented to assist with emissions by pumping hot air into the intake to richen up the fuel mixture as needed. The secondary benefit of EGR is that the warm air being pumped back in can also assist to prevent knock when the engine is under high load. The pipe that leads across the back of the head into the intake manifold appears to be the main change to the induction system there as the rest of the manifold appears to match what is found on the Mustang.

Ranger turbo

[​IMG]

Moving around to the other side of the head, we find the familiar three-port integrated exhaust manifold that leads into a twin-scroll turbocharger. Although we do not have exact specs on the turbocharger just yet, the inducer wheel appears to be slightly larger than the Mustang unit.

Ranger's electronic active wastegate

[​IMG]

We find another new piece in this area as this turbo is the first in the series to employ an electronic wastegate. The rest of the lineup uses a mechanical penumatic wastegate so this advancement should allow more granular control of boost pressure. This is important since the Ranger will likely be sold in high volume and small changes like this can help to improve fuel efficiency and emissions.

Focus RS engine and Ranger engine

[​IMG]

There are likely other smaller parts that may have slight changes, but the Ranger motor appears to share most of its components with the Focus RS while adding a few new parts. Based on what was shown for the mock-up and the data released by Ford so far, it appears that they might be shooting for a torque monster. I would not be surprised to see it exceeding the torque ratings of its competitors.

FordBlueHeart and EcoRanger like this.
  10. BuiltRight

BuiltRight New Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Ford Raptor
    Let's take a moment to appreciate what appears to be an aluminum oil pan, instead of the injection molded stuff most of the Ford trucks have been getting recently. They just switched the Raptor from plastic to an aluminum pan, so this makes sense.

Unless it's just painted silver, like the filter.

FordBlueHeart and EcoRanger like this.
  11. rduvall

rduvall Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    Altima
    If you look at all midsize trucks available in the US, the top HP spec is the Canyon/Colorado 3.6L V6 at 308hp. The top torque spec is the Canyon/Colorado 2.8L diesel at 369 lb-ft. If this 2.3L Ecoboost is essentially using the Focus RS spec and modifying it..........it is conceivable that Ford could take the midsize horsepower and torque title with a single engine.

Administrator and FordBlueHeart like this.
  12. Xtreme Thunder

First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle(s):
    Honda
    Remember, this engine is going into a truck, the duty cycle and heat management requirements are completely different than what is required in car form.

The horsepower and torque rating I would expect to be around 275-295HP and around 300-320 TQ. They could take HP and TQ, but I'd be curious if they tune for predominantly Regular Fuel rather than Premium, which would call for the lower end of the range. Should be interesting to see where Ford places the ratings in the end. It is a crap-chute now, just mere guessing for something to discuss.

13. Spooled

Spooled New Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 F-150
    Agreed. They'll have to tune it for the truck market. I think it'll be along the lines of the MKC engine specs. The 10 speed auto will make up for it being down on power to the GM twins.

14. Nadeshot

Nadeshot Member

Vehicle(s):
    '12 Tacoma and '17 Mustang Ecoboost
    Any reason why they wouldn't do that? They already have an engine that can easily take the power crown among mid-size pickups. I can't imagine the Focus RS EcoBoost engine would be that much more expensive to produce than say the next configuration down of the same engine - from the Mustang

15. FordBlueHeart

FordBlueHeart Member

First Name:
    Torr
    Vehicle(s):
    2006 F250 King Ranch 6.0l
    Every single EcoBoost engine, as far as I know, is rated using premium fuel.
    I'm curious why everyone here seems to think that the Ranger will have similar hp/tq as the Focus RS? The RS is the high performance offering from SVT, yet every Ranger will be close? I just don't see that happening, even with the current generation RS powerplant being largely carried over. I think it's possible we will see an aggressive torque figure, possibly in the RS range of 350 lb/ft, but horsepower will be under 300 in that configuration. I think Ford is designing the hp/tq numbers to take advantage of the 10 speed transmission and shifting multiple times to keep within it's sweet spot better.

16. Beef_Stew

Beef_Stew Active Member

First Name:
    Aaron
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 F150 STX
    SVT hasn't made a car in years since it was merged with Ford racing into "Ford Performance". But I agree it may have RS tq numbers but I see hp numbers around 300 or less

17. FordBlueHeart

FordBlueHeart Member

First Name:
    Torr
    Vehicle(s):
    2006 F250 King Ranch 6.0l
    Yep, you're right. Had a memory lapse. I was thinking of the Raptor when it first came out...with the 5.4l. Haha!

18. Beef_Stew

Beef_Stew Active Member

First Name:
    Aaron
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 F150 STX
    I feel bad for anyone who got a 2010 raptor with the 5.4 3v haha

FordBlueHeart likes this.
  19. rduvall

rduvall Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    Altima
    Unless it makes a difference in fuel economy, I would expect them to put HP at 310 at a min just to hold the power crown in the segment. Torque should be in the 350 range. However, even if it had the exact Focus RS engine in it, this is a vehicle that weighs in at least 1k pounds heavier which drastically changes performance metrics. The 2.7L in the F-150 puts out 400 lb-ft. That said 350 lb-ft in the ranger makes sense when you look at current F-150 weight (with the 2.7L) sits at 4,400 lbs and the average midsize truck is 4,400-4,700 lbs.

20. Xtreme Thunder

First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle(s):
    Honda
    I personally don't see the Ranger coming in at over 300HP, but of course, I wouldn't complain if it did. An engine suited for truck duty, typically is tuned for less HP, especially if it is an engine (for the most part) that is shared with a car based counterpart. The main reason for the use of a block that mostly matches the Focus RS, I would be willing to bet is mainly for the strength (some extra supports/ gussets) and heat management. In addition, manufacturers, for the most part, will provide "just enough" to edge out the competition, and that is what I expect Ford to do here, especially with torque. The torque figure alone will for sure be nice (read greater) when compared, but I still expect it to be within the lower end of the spectrum of what the engine block has produced in other car based products. The torque produced by the Ranger will come in much lower in the RPM range than the competitors NA V6 offerings, and will also be sustained for a good portion of the powerband - with extremely minimal or no turbo lag. The power-to-weight ratio when comparing to full-size trucks, the mid-size are not allowed to be superior in any way, and especially power-to-weight, that's just the way the manufacturers want it and will keep it. If Ford wasn't so delicate with their F-150 sales crown, we would see much better product, and same can be said for ANY of the other manufacturers. They could have just called it the F-100 and made the trim levels XL, XLT, Lariat and Ranger, which would have skirted the whole thing, but those full-size trucks are FULL of profit, even with those $10-12K worth of incentives, don't let these manufacturers fool you. Ah, getting off topic though.