Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Marmota Monax dental plan administrator
Vehicle Showcase
Bought this truck "Ford Certified Pre-Owned" with 42k miles the middle of November 2022. Took it home - noticed the SLIGHTEST of noise coming from the rear of the truck. Took it back the next day and they found the rear differential needed a rebuild. Several loaners and two reimbursed loan payments later, I got the truck back! Over 11 weeks of waiting. They even replaced the battery due to inactivity... Im happy they gave me more than my payment amount each month and I had an XLT Ranger as a loaner... Nervous the transfer case will fail again... Along the journey I tried several times to get out of the deal with the positive equity I had intact - no joy. That included attempts to secure legal representation... In the end I have the truck, they paid my first two payments plus a little, so I can't complain too much. Now the fun begins!

Ranger001.jpg

Ranger002.jpg

Ranger003.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ranger Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot Wheel
I’m not sure where you are, but 3 months is WAY over “Lemon Law” territory here in CA, trust me, I know first hand.

They had your vehicle (no matter they could not get parts) for that long for “the same problem” (does not even need to be consecutive days), and well…

AND if you did “take it back the next day” there would be no depreciation they could claim.

I wish you the best, and that the problem doesn’t reoccur, or that the work it took to fix this problem didn’t cause others (trust me, I know first hand).

Funny how (in my case a brand new vehicle) a car is different from say…. a toaster. If you bring home a defective toaster you bring it back, and get your money back or a new replacement toaster. But a car, they can build and sell you a defective one and it’s ALL on you, the “customer”.

Ranger Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot Wheel
It’s tough to Lemon a three year old vehicle.
Perhaps. I will not say I know the in's and out's of a vehicle that is. However, I'll bet one that is "Ford Certified" would have some weight to it.

It's a mess for the OP, I will not pretend it's not. IF a vehicle that required what his did was called "Certified" then that is a problem, and... exactly what does that mean?

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
I’m not sure where you are, but 3 months is WAY over “Lemon Law” territory here in CA, trust me, I know first hand.

They had your vehicle (no matter they could not get parts) for that long for “the same problem” (does not even need to be consecutive days), and well…

AND if you did “take it back the next day” there would be no depreciation they could claim.

I wish you the best, and that the problem doesn’t reoccur, or that the work it took to fix this problem didn’t cause others (trust me, I know first hand).

Funny how (in my case a brand new vehicle) a car is different from say…. a toaster. If you bring home a defective toaster you bring it back, and get your money back or a new replacement toaster. But a car, they can build and sell you a defective one and it’s ALL on you, the “customer”.
Buy cars is a lot like getting medical care.... No guarantees and not much recourse if they screw up. Now that I think about buying a car is a better deal, even if it goes south. With medical care you have no idea of the bill going in, and you pay even if they screw up. Then you pay again for them to fix it. Been there done that!

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Bought this truck "Ford Certified Pre-Owned" with 42k miles the middle of November 2022. Took it home - noticed the SLIGHTEST of noise coming from the rear of the truck. Took it back the next day and they found the rear transfer case needed a rebuild. Several loaners and two reimbursed loan payments later, I got the truck back! Over 11 weeks of waiting. They even replaced the battery due to inactivity... Im happy they gave me more than my payment amount each month and I had an XLT Ranger as a loaner... Nervous the transfer case will fail again... Along the journey I tried several times to get out of the deal with the positive equity I had intact - no joy. That included attempts to secure legal representation... In the end I have the truck, they paid my first two payments plus a little, so I can't complain too much. Now the fun begins!

Ranger001.jpg

Ranger002.jpg

Ranger003.jpg
Great-looking Ranger! :like:

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Perhaps. I will not say I know the in's and out's of a vehicle that is. However, I'll bet one that is "Ford Certified" would have some weight to it.

It's a mess for the OP, I will not pretend it's not. IF a vehicle that required what his did was called "Certified" then that is a problem, and... exactly what does that mean?
A quick google search says Virginia‘s lemon law applies to vehicles not more than 18 mos old and that are still under the original warranty.

And Ford Certified means you can buy a used car with a warranty, which paid off for the OP .

https://www.courtesyatlanta.com/ford-certified.aspx

OP
OP
watersniper

watersniper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
how many transfer cases do you have? I only have one and it's in the center, not rear, of the truck. Was there an option for more than one transfer case?
Thanks for the precision language check, good sir. Rear differential is the better term.

OP
OP
watersniper

watersniper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
A quick google search says Virginia‘s lemon law applies to vehicles not more than 18 mos old and that are still under the original warranty.

And Ford Certified means you can buy a used car with a warranty, which paid off for the OP .

https://www.courtesyatlanta.com/ford-certified.aspx
They said this was covered under the 5 year, 60k powertrain Ford warranty. The healthy payment reimbursements were allegedly out of Ford's pocket. Having that coverage plus the dealer's 4 month/4k mile bumper to bumper were a good thing.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

In most states the lemon law only applies to new vehicles.

And I don't think any state will allow a 3 year old used vehicle to be lemon lawed.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I'm glad it all worked out for you. Some earlier Rangers had seal problems on the rear axle. So that should be corrected with a new rear end.
And you must have a great dealer, in that they agreed to make payments AND give you a loaner. Most dealers around here don't offer loaners.
Sponsored