First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
From my POV increasing the air flow into the air box is only beneficial if you also increase the airflow capacity between the air box and intake manifold (and increase exhaust capacity).

If a 3 inch pipe feeds the intake manifold, there's not much point in installing a 6 inch feed into the air box.

Maybe this has been adressed and I missed it, if so my apologies.
Sponsored

Zetterbeard

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FORD RANGER XLT 4X4
Vehicle Showcase
From my POV increasing the air flow into the air box is only beneficial if you also increase the airflow capacity between the air box and intake manifold (and increase exhaust capacity).

If a 3 inch pipe feeds the intake manifold, there's not much point in installing a 6 inch feed into the air box.

Within the perspective of this thread, I do think you would gain some knowledge from reading the history.

There is no "capacity" issue within our airbox or the pipes to the manifold. The experiment here is looking for a benefit in increased available dense air.

Last edited:
OP
OP
importfighter01

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
Couple questions @importfighter01 :

1. Have you noticed a dirtier filter after adding the additional inlet?
2. How did you secure the velocity intake to the fender?
1. No noticeable difference.
2. The velocity stack is pushed flush against the sheet metal on the fender side and then the silicone coupler is slid over the neck of the velocity stack protruding into the engine bay til it is flush against the sheetmetal on the engine bay side of the fender wall. Then the hose clamp keeps the tension so everything holds in place.

OP
OP
importfighter01

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Within the perspective of this thread, I do think you would gain some knowledge from reading the history.

There is no "capacity" issue within our airbox or the pipes to the manifold. The experiment here is looking for a benefit in increased available dense air.
Correct

OP
OP
importfighter01

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Mishimoto would not post the dyno results of running their snorkel and the stock factory air box feed simultaneously (even though in video they did it). If you pause the video and zoom in you can see gains from both feeds open. They said in text form in their snorkel thread on this forum that it was 10 lbft of tq gain but you can see the hp gains on the chart too.

Pure speculation on my part, but I think Mishimoto will come out with a non-snorkel fender feed kit. If you can make more power without the snorkel and already have the template to drill the correct holes in the fender wall and airbox then why not…

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Mishimoto would not post the dyno results of running their snorkel and the stock factory air box feed simultaneously (even though in video they did it). If you pause the video and zoom in you can see gains from both feeds open. They said in text form in their snorkel thread on this forum that it was 10 lbft of tq gain but you can see the hp gains on the chart too.

Pure speculation on my part, but I think Mishimoto will come out with a non-snorkel fender feed kit. If you can make more power without the snorkel and already have the template to drill the correct holes in the fender wall and airbox then why not…
True, but on a stationary vehicle.

I believe even at moderate speeds, there is some ram effect with just the factory intake snorkel. At pace, I suspect the ram would off-set a secondary fender intake, but arguably the top end of 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears, there may gain benefit from your secondary intake.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to dissuade your project, just speculating that bringing more air to the airbox, does not necessarily bring more air to the motor. I love that you are doing it, and documenting it so well. :thumbsup:

Travis9935

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
It's a turbocharged engine not a N/A. Plus we also have a intercooler to cool the charge air. I think this thread is way over engineered for the little gain you're going about getting. Besides everything is ecu controlled. There are many debunking dyno videos on yt proving pretty much most air intakes just make your wallet lighter. For example my previous Mk7 Gti oem airbox and exhaust were good for 500 whp.

OP
OP
importfighter01

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a turbocharged engine not a N/A. Plus we also have a intercooler to cool the charge air. I think this thread is way over engineered for the little gain you're going about getting. Besides everything is ecu controlled. There are many debunking dyno videos on yt proving pretty much most air intakes just make your wallet lighter. For example my previous Mk7 Gti oem airbox and exhaust were good for 500 whp.
FYI I forgot to say that the total cost of the mod was $30 max. For a dyno confirmed by Mishimoto 10 extra lb ft of torque that price is not too shabby.

I do believe that our factory air box with a K&N drop-in can support a lot of power and my 2nd post in this thread reviews that. I believe that any gains from intakes are not due to the intake design itself but rather an improvement of the larger intake fresh air inlet over the factory air box 2.25” x 3” fresh air inlet. So by increasing the access the air box has to more fresh air you can replicate those gains of a $300+ intake for $80 or less. OEM+ is a great option for these trucks.

Last edited:

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase

I asked them if they were willing to sell the plumbing equipment minus the snorkel and they never responded. Take from that what you will.

RangerFitz

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx2
Occupation
Danger
I finally gave this a mod a try for fun today and I'm quite impressed. I'm running an OZ tune and really noticed a difference in throttle response and WOT acceleration. Interestingly enough my boost gauge was reading about 1-1.5 psi higher at wot, not sure what to think about that.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
File under: 'Useless Minutiae':

SN95 Mustang throttle body intakes draw cool air from the passenger side fender well.....

OP
OP
importfighter01

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I finally gave this a mod a try for fun today and I'm quite impressed. I'm running an OZ tune and really noticed a difference in throttle response and WOT acceleration. Interestingly enough my boost gauge was reading about 1-1.5 psi higher at wot, not sure what to think about that.
Glad to hear it worked out well for you!

RangerFitz

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx2
Occupation
Danger
A few pics, still waiting on my velocity stack. IATS are much more solid at about 8-10 over ambient running around town in 90 degree heat. Nearly ambient on the interstate. Rebound is much better.

20220918_120659.jpg

20220918_120713.jpg

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
you gentlemen have considerable thought and effort into this! When it is finished please dumb it down for guys like me and say yes it works or no it will not lol. Im not trying to get every bit of extra speed out my 5g but I do enjoy splashing around off road. The air intake facing forward sorta worries me i will get water in at some point. any chance this idea could help keep water out? maybe a silly question, im at caveman status when it comes to engineering
1663534368981.png

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting that you came to this idea. So I had a 2003 Nissan Xterra with the 2.4L 5 speed. My drive to work was in a mountainous area. The one grade I had I would always have to shift down to 4th gear to maintain the speed limit.
So one day I noticed a large hole from my engine bay going into the drivers side fender area near my OEM convulated "airbox". I say air box as it only held the sensor and no filter. It was fed by a small plastic opening then turned 90 degrees and went to the old school air filter on the TB. I thought I can make this better. I measured the hole and realized a 3" schedule 80 pvc would slide right in. Then I just cut the sensor housing off and epoxied to the pvc. Then bought a silicone coupler and clamps off Amazon along with heat wrap. All together it cost me $37. But along with this I replaced my exhaust from the cat back to 3". I needed new exhaust anyways. I ended moving my exhaust tip through rear bumper when I added hitch and powder coated bumper.
Well low and behold my Xterra went up that grade in 5th gear and could ACCELERATE.

So I support your thought process whole heartedly. Sorry being pic heavy and deviating away from Rangers.

20200209_050158.jpg

20200214_152855.jpg

20200214_152902.jpg

20200219_122108.jpg

20200219_155930.jpg

20200314_081408.jpg

20200211_102601.jpg

20200211_102615.jpg

20200520_200614.jpg

20210606_100359.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: