First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
How do you know if the controller will work right if the other two wires on both ends of the harness see nothing because they are now not connected to anything? Might cause and issue with the module

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
How do you know if the controller will work right if the other two wires on both ends of the harness see nothing because they are now not connected to anything? Might cause and issue with the module
Once you cut the pigtail, there is only one wire. Those other wires at the end of the pigtail are only there to bridge the wires from the male to female factory connector back together. The unit is grounded through the redarc box, and it doesn't need the bed lamp +12 at all. All that lumen unit needs is the CHMSL brake lamp +12 and you can get that in the foot well.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Al got it! Why it is written to tear up the vehicle as opposed to taping the wire harness is mired in the litigious nature of the beast....so the cat is out of the bag, but Ford did not tell you this, you are on your own.... Just sayin' Now how to tap without problems becomes your responsibility. There are many taps out there. Scotch Loc is not one of them, eh? Awful devices. Many more are much more robust. Please bear in mind that solder is not one of them either. We do not ever use solder in vehicle applications.

Thanks again Al....you just might save a few damaged knuckles and many hours of labor!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

bulldogger

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
might also void your warranty or cause unnecessary problems with the dealership. Once they start with this is not the brake controller ford approves. Don’t know only know the job sucked to do but no broken or damaged panels and truck is back together same as factory.

Hank573

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
might also void your warranty or cause unnecessary problems with the dealership. Once they start with this is not the brake controller ford approves. Don’t know only know the job sucked to do but no broken or damaged panels and truck is back together same as factory.
Should have the TBC by end of week and have the same truck as you (Bulldogger)....Question,, would it help at all to take the CMSL off to help to get some access to the the plug? I was looking at headliner this afternoon and agree with you that it is a channel. I am also in Florida and am hoping for some cooler temps....

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
With the supercab you run the wire along the panels of the floor on the drivers side, up the rear passenger side panel, and up to the 3rd brake light connector. You don't have to drop the headliner, just fish your fingers up there and unplug the connector. It definitely sucked but no reason to drop the headliner?

1618951820825.png

1618951832344.png

Hank573

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
With the supercab you run the wire along the panels of the floor on the drivers side, up the rear passenger side panel, and up to the 3rd brake light connector. You don't have to drop the headliner, just fish your fingers up there and unplug the connector. It definitely sucked but no reason to drop the headliner?

1618951820825.png

1618951832344.png
I understand what you are saying, but on the Lariat there is about a 1 inch metal channel for the sliding window that the headliner also goes into on the top. Not sure if the headliner will pop out. That's why I was wondering if you could get to the plug by taking the CHMSL light off and working from the outside. I am gathering from all of the conversation that it is no walk in the park to install, but do able. Thanks for you help...

Hank573

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
Dont mean to hijack, but for someone like me who doesn't tow often, how does something like this match up? Bluetooth controller: https://www.amazon.com/CURT-51180-C...ocphy=9007555&hvtargid=pla-584363310600&psc=1

Oh, and BTW, I would never use the phone to control, only to program.
I have done a lot of towing from a 12' to a 37' trailers and I looked closely at the Curt wireless, but as a old timer I just couldn't trust the bluetooth part...I'll leave that to the young guys,.,.,.,but it does look very interesting and easy. Thanks for the input.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I'm an oldster too, and love me some wires. But, for the occasional tow-er I'll probably go wireless once I have that need. Right now, I just have a little trailer for my single ATV. If I ever need to tow something bigger I'll get a wireless unit.

BTW, in years past I would load the ATV in the truck, but after an, er, bad experience my wife insisted I get a trailer, so I have a trailer. ;)

Hank573

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
I'm an oldster too, and love me some wires. But, for the occasional tow-er I'll probably go wireless once I have that need. Right now, I just have a little trailer for my single ATV. If I ever need to tow something bigger I'll get a wireless unit.

BTW, in years past I would load the ATV in the truck, but after an, er, bad experience my wife insisted I get a trailer, so I have a trailer. ;)
Happy wife, happy life and the chance to have more toys......

OP
OP

bulldogger

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Should have the TBC by end of week and have the same truck as you (Bulldogger)....Question,, would it help at all to take the CMSL off to help to get some access to the the plug? I was looking at headliner this afternoon and agree with you that it is a channel. I am also in Florida and am hoping for some cooler temps....
I also removed the rear light but the hole where the wires comes through is too small to reach anything. Also the plug you need to disconnect is held in the roof with two plastic push pins and needs to be pulled from inside the cab with the headliner down

Hank573

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
I also removed the rear light but the hole where the wires comes through is too small to reach anything. Also the plug you need to disconnect is held in the roof with two plastic push pins and needs to be pulled from inside the cab with the headliner down
Damn they didn't make it easy....everything else looks pretty straight forward, except getting to the CHMSL plug.....thanks for the info....

OP
OP

bulldogger

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I understand what you are saying, but on the Lariat there is about a 1 inch metal channel for the sliding window that the headliner also goes into on the top. Not sure if the headliner will pop out. That's why I was wondering if you could get to the plug by taking the CHMSL light off and working from the outside. I am gathering from all of the conversation that it is no walk in the park to install, but do able. Thanks for you help...
Headliner will pop out but you need to lower the front first by removing overhead console. You remove over head console by grabbing the back two corners and pulling down this will pop the first two clips, then there are two more in the middle don't pull too hard just enough to pop them then console slides out towards back of truck as it has to extension pieces on the front. Next slide your arm along top of headliner and find the two push pins ford was kind enough to place in there near the back to hold the headliner up. They are about 1 foot in from the sides and 8 inches forward of the rear window. Once it is laying down like in my picture you will see the rear brake light and the mounted plug you need to get to. Then after you assemble two ends on the adapter plug for the brake light just make sure to seat the plastic end on one of them with a small plier as it sticks out too far for a proper connection.
Sponsored