First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Ret
To all 2019 Ranger owners wanting help with brake controller choice/install. I hooked my truck to an RV for the first time yesterday to see how it worked. It worked perfectly, doing everything I'd hoped for. It's the Redarc Controller that's hard wired and easy to install. The picture is what it looks like on your dash. etrailer has a great video on how to install. You'll need to install a 7 pin connector with harness. Etrailer has that also. And they price match. I've never done anything like this before and I found it to be straight forward. Just don't get in a hurry. The entire job cost me around $270 and have me great satisfaction.

77794919-8420-4CE2-BE85-73F322F52A8A.jpeg

45CB661F-EB5F-4456-AAC7-7BF5E7EE33CB.jpeg

EAAB2C11-792E-4B98-834D-B316AF0D7C82.jpeg
Sponsored

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I hate to bring it up again, but doing it that way works, just not the way Ford intends it to work. Sure,
you'll get brakes on the trailer when you hit the brake pedal, but no auto emergency braking on the trailer if the ECM commands it. Your truck will brake, but not the trailer. So be very aware of your surroundings and other drivers when towing.

Other than that, good job with the splicing and install. I've been debating on whether to install a TBC. I feel I should have it in case I need it, rather than have a situation where I need it and don't have it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fb4justme

fb4justme

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Ret
I hate to bring it up again, but doing it that way works, just not the way Ford intends it to work. Sure,
you'll get brakes on the trailer when you hit the brake pedal, but no auto emergency braking on the trailer if the ECM commands it. Your truck will brake, but not the trailer. So be very aware of your surroundings and other drivers when towing.

Other than that, good job with the splicing and install. I've been debating on whether to install a TBC. I feel I should have it in case I need it, rather than have a situation where I need it and don't have it.
Thanks for the feedback. Ford dropped the ball on all of us. I have to have something and I don't want one that requires a smart phone as part of the equation. Best wishes.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
Thanks for the feedback. Ford dropped the ball on all of us. I have to have something and I don't want one that requires a smart phone as part of the equation. Best wishes.
The one from Ford doesn't require a smartphone. It's the same Redarc controller, but it includes a module to allow the truck to pass a brake signal to the trailer if the brakes are triggered by collision avoidance.

Ranger 2019-2021 Trailer Brake Control Towing Pack 2 ~ VKB3Z2C006A (ford.com)
Sponsored