Excess Brake Pedal Travel?

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I had the same problem others have mentioned. With almost 9000 miles on the truck the problem seems to have resolved itself and I now have normal pedal travel. Not sure if it is due to bedding or just the truck has grown accustomed to my right foot.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
I've always been a left foot braker when driving auto's. Something my great Aunt taught me from when she used to drive a snow plow in her small mountain town.

TomD

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4Ă—4
HI Dave,

This is clearly not normal. It needs attention of the dealer. I am puzzled though.... Seems you purchased the vehicle without a test drive?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
The problem I'm having with brake pedel travel is that I tend apply accelerator a d brake at the same time due to the long stroke of the brake pedel and my big foot. It has caused me some panic when this happens.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Have any of you right foot brakers had the problem of stepping on the accelerator pedal while applying the brakes? I have 2020 Lariat Crew 4x4 and when I apply the brake pedal hard, it travels to a position below the accelerator. If my right foot is in a certain position, I end up pressing on the accelerator at the same time I am trying to stop....not a fun time.
Yes - more than once, brake pedal fades quite a bit and matches the accelerator pedal, I am going to have brakes bled under warranty

Hellrazor

First Name
Clement
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Baller
You have to do the ABS service bleed and then bleed the brakes.
I had same problem this fixed it.

sandog

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew Cab Hot Pepper
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The brake "master reset" or whatever it's called in Forscan helped.
The difference in firmness is noticeable. Still on the soft side but better than it was.
Why we have to do it and it doesn't come that way, I have no idea, but maybe Phil can give an answer to that.

As a caution, when you do the digital "procedure' there are clicking and whirring noises up front of the firewall for what seems like a full minute. No worries, that's how it sounded to everyone else too.
I've driven for over a year, 18K and the brake pedal firmness is still there.
A wimpy firmness, but still better than how it was when I bought the truck.

Something that others have mentioned about the brake pedal going to what almost felt like the floor.
I wouldn't call it that bad, but I notice a slight threshold in the brake action when using the A/S/S.
I don't really need mine in the valley where I live. If I go over to a neighboring town that has lots of long stoplights the A/S/S is nice.
I don't turn mine off though around home. If I don't want the A/S/S to turn the engine off, I press lightly on the brake pedal. Just enough to hold you in place.
If I think i'll be idling for a while, I press harder on the brakes, they feel like they drop a bit more, the A/S/S engages and the engine stops.
That's the only extra "drop" of the brake pedal that I've felt, and it isn't a whole lot.

Guys that hate the A/S/S say they don't want it functional at all, and they don't want to remember to press the button on the console everytime they start up.
Even if you can't access Forscan to turn it off, you can just go into your menu options on your little screen in the instrument panel to disable Auto Start/Stop. No night light plugged in is needed.

Plugging a night light into the rear plug like some do wouldn't work for me anyway, my bird dog moving around back there would knock it loose.
The A/S/S doesn't bug me since I learned about the two different brake pressure technique.
20220619_105932.jpg

Last edited:

Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Lariat XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
My 2023 does the same thing, the brake pedal travels too far before the brakes start to apply. If I pump the pedal it comes up acting as though there's air in the system. I had it in at the dealer and was told that there is an existing service bulletin on the issue. The tech checked it and claimed that it was within spec. I have never known a spec to allow the brake pedal to literally depress deeper than the level of the accelerator pedal! I've always been of the underatanding that is a safety issue. Even two mechanic friends indicated to me that the brakes act as though there is air in the system. Very frustrating as I have never had this in a new vehicle in my life!

Last edited:

doznkoz

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ranger XLT 4.0 4x4, 2023 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
My 2023 does the same thing, the brake pedal travels too far before the brakes start to apply. If I pump the pedal it comes up acting as though there's air in the system. I had it in at the dealer and was told that there is an existing service bulletin on the issue. The tech checked it and claimed that it was within spec. I have never know a spec to allow the brake pedal to literalle depress deeper than the level of theh accelerator pedal! I've always been of the underatanding that is a safety issue. Even two mechanic friends indicated to me that the brakes act as though there is air in the system. Very frustrating as I have never had this in a new vehicle in my life!
Pretty much same issue here. 5100 miles on the OD. I have an appointment at dealer Monday to check on this. When coming to a stop the initial push on the brake pedal travels more then I am used to in any other vehicle, up to halfway to engage brakes. If I push it one more time (quick pump) I get a full brake pedal. My local indy mechanic commented that this is not normal and I should have it looked at.
I'll post the results of the appointment after it is looked at.

Reactions: Ian
OP
OP

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
OP here. Interesting comments. I'll see if I can find the service bulletin mentioned above.,,,
If anyone has the SB #, I'd appreciate it.
My pedal travel hasn't changed. ...down to, or just below the accelerator pedal.
An extra quick pump raises the pedal a bit. ...air I think.
I haven't tried mashing it to the floor recently, but I remember it fades. Brakes work well with a 4000-6300# load on the hitch. ...but I don't trust them 100%.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Mine had a bit more travel than I liked new, but the abs bleed cycle helped a lot. Now I like the easier to modulate pedal in the Ranger vs the wife's minivan that you look at pedal in it and it starts to put pressure on the pads... touch it and you are about to stop in a hurry.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I had the same issue, Mushy Brake Pedal / Excessive Travel at delivery, dealer stated this is normal and they all are this way.
Well after experiencing a but pucker moment, sitting at a stop and pedal fades down past the gas pedal thus foot (now on both) engine revving and creeping forward. I knew what it needed but since it only had about 300 miles on the odometer at this point, this should be an easy take it to the dealer-Fix.
Took truck to another dealer, did not make it past the service writers' desk, he jumped in and hit the brake pedal and asked what's the problem, I cannot bring it in for warranty work unless I confirm that there is an issue. He said, "My brand-new F-150 is the exact same" So at this point, I gave up.
I am a Former ASE Cert (Brake) Tech, and I knew what it needed, but was attempting to get Ford to fix the issue, as it was a brand-new truck.
I realized that at this point, I had to either create a all-out fuss about it or just do it myself.
I fixed the issue myself, doing a complete system bleed, ABS Module and then all calipers.
Got a ton of air out of R/Rear Caliper. and marginal air out of the rest.
After I was done, went to an open parking lot and did the brake bedding procedure.
Brake Pedal was immediately better, at 300 miles on the OD, brake pedal was firmer but a little soft but after driving for a bit, current at 6,000 miles, brake pedal firmed up even better.
I am now fully confident in the brakes and no more worries about brake pedal fade, down past the gas pedal, as the brake pedal firms up well above it now.

So, if you are lucky the dealer will fix the issue with a bleed, as there is air being introduced into the system at build, at some point on the line, there is a system bleed that is not being performed correctly, and I have a feeling it ties to the ABS Module itself, I am amazed that Ford has not addressed this issue with TSB or Recall.
The GSB, attached is for mere Tech Support document, a GSB is mainly an informative procedure.
A TSB - Relates to a specific known issue or complaint and is (1) step below a Recall.

This is why that it is so amazing that this has not been upgraded to TSB or Recall Status, there are way too many owners who experience this issue, the positive fix is a brake bleed as I and many other members have confirmed to be fact.

See attached related General Service Bulletin, in the end it requires a brake bleed to correct the issue.

Attachments

Last edited:

doznkoz

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ranger XLT 4.0 4x4, 2023 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Dealer service tech told me the brakes are just as they should be. I also had them do a full service which included rotate tires, oil/filter change and whatever else it included. No other issues.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Dealer service tech told me the brakes are just as they should be. I also had them do a full service which included rotate tires, oil/filter change and whatever else it included. No other issues.
It might be worth a try to do a bleed and see if it improves the brake pedal feel.
Just note that the system uses- Dot 4 LV Fluid.
If it is anywhere near as bad as mine was- there is air in the system and you will find it with a bleed.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I did the ABS bleed via Forscan and it felt much better, for a while. Then I asked my dealer to bleed the brakes because they felt mushy. Service writer said he hadn't had any complaints about but would take a look. He said they did get air out and didn't charge me. They feel much better now, but I feel I need to do the ABS bleed again.
Also, I think it is a serious safety hazard to have the brake pedal travel as far as the gas pedal or further.
Sponsored

Reactions: Ian