Excess Brake Pedal Travel?

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
The first thing I noticed when I got in my new Ranger was the brake pedal traveled about 30% down before brake engagement. Sales guy said if felt normal. My other vehicles have a small amount of pedal slack - 1/2" max before brake engagement.

I recently noticed at a long stop light the Ranger's brake pedal started to fade down as I held pressure. If I push hard enough it will fade to the floor, recover when I let off, and fade down again.

There is no sign of leaking brake fluid. I know what air in the lines feels like, but not this time. I'm guessing an internal leak in the master cyl, or ABS valves.

....any thoughts or similar experiences? Thanks, Dave
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

It is well known that the brake pedal does need more travel than other vehicles before it engages. That's a normal thing for these trucks. It takes a bit to get used to, but becomes the new normal after a bit. The fading to the floor while sitting at a light is not something I've experienced though. I've never tried to make it do that though either. Once I'm at a stop, I relax my foot and let it rest where it is with the brake depressed to the level it already was. I know there's fairly comprehensive threads on here regarding the brake feel, given that it's different than most other vehicles.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The first thing I noticed when I got in my new Ranger was the brake pedal traveled about 30% down before brake engagement. Sales guy said if felt normal. My other vehicles have a small amount of pedal slack - 1/2" max before brake engagement.

I recently noticed at a long stop light the Ranger's brake pedal started to fade down as I held pressure. If I push hard enough it will fade to the floor, recover when I let off, and fade down again.

There is no sign of leaking brake fluid. I know what air in the lines feels like, but not this time. I'm guessing an internal leak in the master cyl, or ABS valves.

....any thoughts or similar experiences? Thanks, Dave
HI Dave,

This is clearly not normal. It needs attention of the dealer. I am puzzled though.... Seems you purchased the vehicle without a test drive?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
My truck did that the first time I drove it, but pedal travel now seems to be pretty normal.

lobsta11

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 magnetic grey, 302A & tech pkg. 2019 is gone. XLT super cab, ingot silver, 302a, tow & tech packages

I have the same thing on my 2020 FX4 with the pedal going to the floor at a stop light if I push on it.
Al

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
To help explain the pedal going to the floor at the stop light is quite simple. This is actually a normal thing with any fairly new vehicle in current new vehicle with abs. What it is when you're applying more pressure the ABS unit tries to absorb all the excessive pressure making the pedal go to the floor. Some people think it's the master cylinder bypassing itself. Try doing the pedal going to the floor with the ignition off and you will not be able to push the pedal far at all. Those people I've been around don't want to believe me but what other test can you say to prove me wrong? I seen this to be a normal thing with a lot of Nissan's and Ford's. I've even noticed on General Motors vehicles. When you come to a stop just relax. I've noticed the pedal on my Ranger has been just fine. It's going to take some getting used to but once you do you're going to love the truck.

OP
OP

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HI Dave,

This is clearly not normal. It needs attention of the dealer. I am puzzled though.... Seems you purchased the vehicle without a test drive?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I did buy the Ranger w/o a test drive. ...just like my previous Cherokee and Dodge Dart Aero. I decide on my new vehicles by comparing specs against my key criterion.

The Ranger stood head and shoulders above the Taco and Colorado in torque, towing, payload, fuel economy. Plus the 2019 incentives sealed the deal. I rented dozens of different vehicles when I was working. I'm convinced the quality of any new vehicle these days is very good. ....not like 30 yrs ago. The vehicle that tops my "musts" is the one I buy.

I went to the dealer yesterday. The adviser and tech checked the truck in the bay, an on the road. Verdict was normal. Adviser brought up a 2020 Ranger. I was convinced. Same brake pedal action.

I considered Frenchy's explanation above. Makes sense to me. Truthfully, I really have to apply extreme foot pressure to the pedal for it to fade further. Far more pressure than I'd apply in any emergency braking. I did notice some slight fade when I was braking down a long steep hill. Not enough to cause alarm. My trailer has brakes. I suspect when I go down the same hill with the trailer the Ranger's bake pedal will stay put. I tweak the controller gain up a bit on long downhill grades so the trailer will help the whole program.

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 xlt ranger 62 galaxie
Occupation
Truck driver
Think a heavier brake pedal return spring would help feel? Do new rangers even have one? I get out of my International after driving all night and into the ranger for the drive home and have to be real careful not to put myself through the windshield at the first traffic light stop ha ha!

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I did buy the Ranger w/o a test drive. ...just like my previous Cherokee and Dodge Dart Aero. I decide on my new vehicles by comparing specs against my key criterion.

The Ranger stood head and shoulders above the Taco and Colorado in torque, towing, payload, fuel economy. Plus the 2019 incentives sealed the deal. I rented dozens of different vehicles when I was working. I'm convinced the quality of any new vehicle these days is very good. ....not like 30 yrs ago. The vehicle that tops my "musts" is the one I buy.

I went to the dealer yesterday. The adviser and tech checked the truck in the bay, an on the road. Verdict was normal. Adviser brought up a 2020 Ranger. I was convinced. Same brake pedal action.

I considered Frenchy's explanation above. Makes sense to me. Truthfully, I really have to apply extreme foot pressure to the pedal for it to fade further. Far more pressure than I'd apply in any emergency braking. I did notice some slight fade when I was braking down a long steep hill. Not enough to cause alarm. My trailer has brakes. I suspect when I go down the same hill with the trailer the Ranger's bake pedal will stay put. I tweak the controller gain up a bit on long downhill grades so the trailer will help the whole program.
Something else you might want to consider is engine braking. We have a 10-speed automatic in these trucks and you can easily downshift while in drive. I do it all the time especially since I go through the mountains here in the Rockies going to work and going back home. Even when towing sometimes you might have to override the engine braking. I recommend doing that just to keep your brakes lasting as long as possible versus warping them because you're on the brakes all the time.

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
Have any of you right foot brakers had the problem of stepping on the accelerator pedal while applying the brakes? I have 2020 Lariat Crew 4x4 and when I apply the brake pedal hard, it travels to a position below the accelerator. If my right foot is in a certain position, I end up pressing on the accelerator at the same time I am trying to stop....not a fun time.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Have any of you right foot brakers had the problem of stepping on the accelerator pedal while applying the brakes? I have 2020 Lariat Crew 4x4 and when I apply the brake pedal hard, it travels to a position below the accelerator. If my right foot is in a certain position, I end up pressing on the accelerator at the same time I am trying to stop....not a fun time.
Hi Ron,

Hmmm....I do not have that problem. Agree not fun...it may be simple as getting the correct liftoff into mussel memory. I have had experience with competitive vehicle evaluations where this occurred for me and yet other folks in the evaluation had no problem....It was just me for some reason.

I might also recommend you bed in your brakes as it does help somewhat...search the forums for brake bedding.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
Hi Ron,

Hmmm....I do not have that problem. Agree not fun...it may be simple as getting the correct liftoff into mussel memory. I have had experience with competitive vehicle evaluations where this occurred for me and yet other folks in the evaluation had no problem....It was just me for some reason.

I might also recommend you bed in your brakes as it does help somewhat...search the forums for brake bedding.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks, Phil. You might be right on the correct liftoff. While I was waiting for my truck to come in, the dealer loned me an older F150 and the same thing happened to me on that vehicle. The brake pedal on that truck would also go almost to the floor if I kept steady pressure on it while stopped. I will try bedding in the brakes though. I really like this truck, but Ford has a few things they need to work on for the introduction of the next generation Ranger.

OP
OP

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Ron,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I ended up Googleing brake bedding. Understandable. But I'm clueless about "getting the correct liftoff into mussel memory", unless you're saying to learn the relationship between your brake leg muscle force and the vehicle's brakes.

If so, I did. I'm the OP on this topic. I've no complaints about the brakes after 4K mi/9 mos. I was looking for potential problems early on. ....I'm back to dealing with my own problems ;).

GrayGen

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Received Ranger September 19th. Hot Pepper Red Lariat 4x2. Locking rear axle 501 package Spray bedliner Bed extender & more
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, Phil. You might be right on the correct liftoff. While I was waiting for my truck to come in, the dealer loned me an older F150 and the same thing happened to me on that vehicle. The brake pedal on that truck would also go almost to the floor if I kept steady pressure on it while stopped. I will try bedding in the brakes though. I really like this truck, but Ford has a few things they need to work on for the introduction of the next generation Ranger.
I had that problem with a particular pair of shoes. For some reason I don't move to the left far enough on the brake. Sounds strange but I swear it's true. Quit wearing those shoes.

Pinepig

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol
I also have that problem in the ranger. To its credit it knows you did it and flashes a cool little power reduced infographic on the dash and I suspect applies an idle throttle butterfly setting.

The spacing between the brake and gas is probably fine for 99% of the people, I wear 14s and I'm either in my Chacos or my MX boots, so the sandals are my truck wear.

hQ0L2sh.jpg
Sponsored