Evap blocking valve stuck open

Lampcont44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Hey all, first time posting here. I've been checking the forums to see if there are others with a similar issue I have but I haven't seen anything. I have a 2020 Ranger XLT FX2 with about 4200 miles. Engine build date is OCT 2020 and body build date is Nov 2020. A week ago I got a sudden CEL and immediately took it to the dealer. The fordpass app says its due to the evap blocking valve is "stuck open". They said the problem was a faulty blocking valve in the gas tank needed replacing. They overnighted the part, dropped the tank, and gave the truck back shortly after. Around 100 miles later, same light came on for the same issue. So I took it back to the dealer and spent the whole day with the tech and they couldn't figure out what's causing this CEL. The truck is still in the shop. Does anyone have any idea what could the source of the issue?

Screenshot_20210426-224001_FordPass.png
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Sounds like they possibly forgot to clear the code, something got into one of the evap lines and is preventing it from pressurizing correctly, or the replacement unit is also faulty.

Looking into this a bit it seems some of the F150's had an issue with this a while back and many had to have the evap valve assembly and fuel tank hose assembly

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Hey all, first time posting here. I've been checking the forums to see if there are others with a similar issue I have but I haven't seen anything. I have a 2020 Ranger XLT FX2 with about 4200 miles. Engine build date is OCT 2020 and body build date is Nov 2020. A week ago I got a sudden CEL and immediately took it to the dealer. The fordpass app says its due to the evap blocking valve is "stuck open". They said the problem was a faulty blocking valve in the gas tank needed replacing. They overnighted the part, dropped the tank, and gave the truck back shortly after. Around 100 miles later, same light came on for the same issue. So I took it back to the dealer and spent the whole day with the tech and they couldn't figure out what's causing this CEL. The truck is still in the shop. Does anyone have any idea what could the source of the issue?

Screenshot_20210426-224001_FordPass.png
Saw this code on an older Escape with the capless system. Did they replace the filler assembly or something else? There used to be a spring inside the filler port that acted like a hinged door. Over time or if it got tweaked the flap wouldn't close properly and you'd get the same code you have now.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
It was in an F150 but same code. Dealer replaced the controller and purged the lines and all was well after that. Had a recall on it if I remember right

OP
OP
Lampcont44

Lampcont44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Saw this code on an older Escape with the capless system. Did they replace the filler assembly or something else? There used to be a spring inside the filler port that acted like a hinged door. Over time or if it got tweaked the flap wouldn't close properly and you'd get the same code you have now.
I don't think they changed anything else but the valve itself. I checked the fill port flap right after the code popped up a second time and the spring had a pretty good tension on it so I'm not sure it's that. Totally possible though.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I don't think they changed anything else but the valve itself. I checked the fill port flap right after the code popped up a second time and the spring had a pretty good tension on it so I'm not sure it's that. Totally possible though.
You know now that you mention that they did have him check out the two closing flaps on the neck of the tank. Seems the inner one can get contaminated and not seal right. Think he went in there with a hose wrapped with a thin towel to clean the surfaces to get the seal proper again. For him it ended up being a bad module

OP
OP
Lampcont44

Lampcont44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Sounds like they possibly forgot to clear the code, something got into one of the evap lines and is preventing it from pressurizing correctly, or the replacement unit is also faulty.

Looking into this a bit it seems some of the F150's had an issue with this a while back and many had to have the evap valve assembly and fuel tank hose assembly
Could you please link me this thread?

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
I just did a Google search for "evap blocking valve is stuck open" and it's the first forum link that comes up. There's also videos about how to diagnose and resolve it. They are not specific to the Ranger but may provide some useful information.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
I never saw a CEL but supposedly it threw a code. The dealer blamed the code on my premature battery failure. I have little confidence that they were telling the truth or there even was a code. Supposedly they cleared the code. The truck hasn't had any problems since then.

Last edited:

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
If the battery has a shorted cell or something else caused the voltage to dip too low, the system will start powering components off putting them in deep sleep mode. If for some reason any of the non critical sensors failed to report back when initially scanned by the ECU at the next ready state check it can cause a soft code to be stored in the system without triggering the CEL. most off the shelf code scanners won't see these, you need a high end diagnostic scan tool in order to see them.

OP
OP
Lampcont44

Lampcont44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Little update: Service advisor tells me the shop foreman hasn't reached a diagnosis yet and wants to refer to the ford tech hotline. I'm not sure where it'll go from here. I'm at a week with my truck in the shop. :(

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Little update: Service advisor tells me the shop foreman hasn't reached a diagnosis yet and wants to refer to the ford tech hotline. I'm not sure where it'll go from here. I'm at a week with my truck in the shop. :(
Seems like they are taking their time to reload the parts cannon - next up likely the in tank sensor, then the gas tank, then the engine, eventually you might wind up with a new truck. Hope you have a loaner.

OP
OP
Lampcont44

Lampcont44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Seems like they are taking their time to reload the parts cannon - next up likely the in tank sensor, then the gas tank, then the engine, eventually you might wind up with a new truck. Hope you have a loaner.
Well a few days ago they told me what's been happening, supposedly, is the gateway module needs to be replaced and that it has been throwing false codes to the main computer. So they said it's on backorder, then I asked again for a status update, and was told there are none in the country, huge shortage I guess. They gave me a 2021 explorer as a loaner but I'm curious what's the policy with Ford Credit and monthly payments when the truck has been in the shop under warranty for almost a month.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Typically payments still have to be made while the vehicle is in for service. Now with your situation since it's already been a month and they have no estimate on when parts will be available you can try calling Ford Credit and explain the situation and see if they will grant a 3 month forbearance. If they will it would put your payments on hold for the duration of the forbearance and will not negatively impact your account in any way. They may say no to that, but it's worth a shot and there's no harm in asking.
Sponsored