P2450 Ford Code - Evaporative Emission System Switching Valve Performance/Stuck Open

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
The Check Engine Light came on and I ran FORscan to identify the issue. Came back as a P2450 - Evaporative Emission System Switching Valve Performance/Stuck Open.

Truck runs fine...

Any Ford Tech's here?

So, what happens if I just ignore this? Could be a coincidence, but I'm getting 2 mpg better, since the CEL came on.

No emissions checking where we live.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
You know how when you have a doctor's appointment and get up the morning of the appointment and question your judgement and wish you could just wave a magic wand and not need to go?

The Ranger did that very thing this morning, waive the magic wand that is. We were scheduled to take it to the dealer to get the evaporation valve replaced, which involves removing the gas tank. Seems like a little access door in the floor of the bed would be better, but what do I know?

So we're about a half mile from home and Teresa points to the dash. The check engine light is no longer on.

We go back home, and I fire up the laptop and run FORScan, and ran the diagnostics and it shows that the evap. code was triggered. I clear out the code and then start the truck up and run diagnostics again. No P2450 code.

I called the dealer and told them to cancel the evap P2450 warranty replacement.

We always run the truck with more than a half a tank of fuel. Since I knew they needed to remove the gas tank to do the repair, I ran the fuel down to 1/4 of a tank. We speculate that may have something to do with the valve closing. Less fuel = more vapors. That combined with cooler temperatures we've been having may have been enough to close the valve when the cooling vapors caused the tank to pull a vacuum.

I pretty much expect the problem to come back.

Last edited: