First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 xlt ranger 62 galaxie
Occupation
Truck driver
Well i got my first check engine light. i was on my way home from work the other night cruising along the highway at 65 mph and saw it on. I almost didn't notice it, as my truck i drive at work has a yellow indicator light for the exhaust brake at almost the same place in the instrument panel! I felt a buzz from my phone as it got an alert from the Ford Pass app, so that was cool. It said my ranger has an issue with the evaporative emissions system. Luckily i am on vacation this week, so i have an appointment at the dealership first thing Monday morning. Truck has 23,000 miles on it, mostly highway, with no previous engine light problems. Just thought I would post up and contribute to the database here. Will report back on issue resolution. Happy Holidays!
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well i got my first check engine light. i was on my way home from work the other night cruising along the highway at 65 mph and saw it on. I almost didn't notice it, as my truck i drive at work has a yellow indicator light for the exhaust brake at almost the same place in the instrument panel! I felt a buzz from my phone as it got an alert from the Ford Pass app, so that was cool. It said my ranger has an issue with the evaporative emissions system. Luckily i am on vacation this week, so i have an appointment at the dealership first thing Monday morning. Truck has 23,000 miles on it, mostly highway, with no previous engine light problems. Just thought I would post up and contribute to the database here. Will report back on issue resolution. Happy Holidays!
Hi Michael,

There are a few threads on this topic...If I recall correctly they all involved the purge valve on top of the fuel tank.. A search will likely bubble up those threads to review..

best,
Phil

OP
OP

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Truck driver
Yes Sir, i did look through all the posts on pertaining to check engine lights. It seems that a couple of members who had this issue also had their trucks undercoated with oil. I also had my truck in for it's annual application(approximately a month and a half ago) Might be a common theme here! Thanks for the info, I have an 8:30 am appointment in the morning, and i will relay what they find the problem to be.
Hi Michael,

There are a few threads on this topic...If I recall correctly they all involved the purge valve on top of the fuel tank.. A search will likely bubble up those threads to review..

best,
Phil

OP
OP

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Truck driver
O.k. fellas I have an update. Took the truck into dealer yesterday morning. They determined it was the evap purge valve. They had to get one in, and i had to go back this afternoon to have it replaced. The Dtc was P0496 according to the paperwork. The service guys I normally deal with were off, so i got some one who was filling in from another department, so i wasn't able to get any technical info. It only took about an hour from the time i got there till it was done. Drove great on trip home. So far so good, hopefully no more issues with it. I know dealerships get hammered on sometimes for their service, and sometimes it is deserved, but I am glad i got a good one. They have treated me very well and the service has been great! I will update this thread if the problem comes back. Thanks!

tmcolegr

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Platinum 4x4 & 2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
SSM 50306 - 2018-2022 Various Vehicles - Illuminated MIL With DTC P0496, P0456, P0455, P04F0 And/Or P0451 - Updated FDRS Scan Tool Procedure

Some 2018-2021 EcoSport, Expedition, Navigator; 2019-2021 Ranger; 2020-2021 Escape, Corsair, Explorer, Transit; 2021 Bronco, Bronco Sport, Edge, Nautilus, F-150, Mustang; 2019-2022 Transit Connect; 2020-2022 Aviator, F-Super Duty; and 2022 Maverick vehicles may exhibit an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) with diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) P0496, P0456, P0455, P04F0, and/or P0451. Ford has tested returned EVAP canister purge valves and found them to be fully functional. Prior to replacing the canister purge valve or other EVAP components, perform the following tests using the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) ScanTool: Full System EVAP Leak Test - FDRS Location: TOOLBOX > PCM > PCM - Evap Emissions System Test and the EVAP Purge Valve Leak Test - FDRS Location: TOOLBOX > PCM > Evap Emission System Toolbox > CPV Check.

OP
OP

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Truck driver
I guess it is not fixed. Check engine light came on again for same thing today. Drove all of about 50 miles since i took it in less than a week ago. Not happy. Between this, the crappy shifting and brakes back to sinking at extended stoplights, and the rough running when cold, AFTER i had it in to fix these issues, I think it is just about time to send this thing down the road. This thing is turning out to be one of the worst trucks i have ever owned. Very frustrated at this point.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
That sucks.

Do you have another dealership you could try? Sounds like that one failed at everything.

OP
OP

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Truck driver
O.k. I have an update. Took truck in to dealer again. Dtc code p0451. They performed Tsb 21-2010 and updated pcm. Truck all around seems right again. Sorry about my last post, just getting frustrated. Brakes seem good again and when they updated pcm the trans seems better. I think it is just my particular truck, has a gremlin hiding out in it! The tsb called for replacing the cat, so that was weird, maybe gremlin was in it lol!

Jake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
O.k. I have an update. Took truck in to dealer again. Dtc code p0451. They performed Tsb 21-2010 and updated pcm. Truck all around seems right again. Sorry about my last post, just getting frustrated. Brakes seem good again and when they updated pcm the trans seems better. I think it is just my particular truck, has a gremlin hiding out in it! The tsb called for replacing the cat, so that was weird, maybe gremlin was in it lol!
CEL will probably come back. This is the same things they tried with mine although in a different order. What resolved mine was to replace the pressure sensor that lives on the top of the gas tank. It gets plugged with the undercoating. See my post in this thread for my experience of the repair process if you haven't already.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/p0496-evap-system-high-purge-flow.12607/post-301098

OP
OP

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Truck driver
Thanks for the info and the link Jake. I was on my way home tonight from a family get together and the cel came on again for the same issue. Just had the
CEL will probably come back. This is the same things they tried with mine although in a different order. What resolved mine was to replace the pressure sensor that lives on the top of the gas tank. It gets plugged with the undercoating. See my post in this thread for my experience of the repair process if you haven't already.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/p0496-evap-system-high-purge-flow.12607/post-301098
truck in at dealer Tuesday and here it is Friday and problem came back, really frustrating after 4 trips to dealership in less than 2 weeks. Looks like i am experiencing exactly the same thing you did Jake! Ugh what a way to start the new year!

Jake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info and the link Jake. I was on my way home tonight from a family get together and the cel came on again for the same issue. Just had the

truck in at dealer Tuesday and here it is Friday and problem came back, really frustrating after 4 trips to dealership in less than 2 weeks. Looks like i am experiencing exactly the same thing you did Jake! Ugh what a way to start the new year!
Certainly aggravating having to take a new vehicle into the dealer so many times and put those miles on it. I just count it lucky that they actually will fix it under warranty as it isn't really a problem with Ford rather the undercoating places not knowing enough to not spray in that sensitive area. Hopefully they have the part on hand and you don't have to wait for it. I had my truck undercoated at Krown again in November and made sure they knew not to spray on top of the tank. Fingers crossed they listened and i won't have to deal with this again, this time without a warranty.
Sponsored