Engine won’t turn off, 4wd issues

sandy_koufax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4

December 14, 2023: While on vacation in Seattle, WA my truck spontaneously shifted into 4L while on I-5 and wouldn't go back to 2H when I pulled over.

December 28, 2023: bumper to bumper warranty expired

January 19, 2023: Ford shipped the truck. I picked it up from a dealer in Los Angeles with a brand new transfer case and transfer case motor. Once I drove away onto the highway I started to hear a spinning noise. By the time I realized it, the dealer had closed.

January 20, 2023: Dropped off the truck at the same Los Angeles Ford service dept.

February 22, 2023: service dept tells me the driveshaft is leaking (covered under powertrain) and the driveshaft needs a new bearing (not covered under powertrain).

None of these issues existed before I gave the truck to the Ford dealership in Seattle. Ford Corporate hasn't been super helpful. They're refusing to engage in Lemon Law discussions until the truck is out of service so I'm kind of in a Catch 22.

Does anybody have any input at all so I know how to fight this? Is it possible driving it around in 4L caused the issues? Was it towed improperly? I just need to have some info so I can fight it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Too much missing information. How many miles? Are you the original owner? Seems unlikely you accidentally went into 4-low, maybe it was 4 high? How far did you drive it 4wd? Good luck getting it fixed, but it doesn’t sound like you are lemon law candidate at this point.

OP
OP

sandy_koufax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
So I'm actually a lawyer, but not a lemon law attorney. It's been in the shop for 2 months so it is a candidate.

It didn't "accidentally" go into 4L. The motor ground shorted, not sure what that means though. It locked into 4L and wouldn't come out. Took the dealer a few weeks to figure out what's going on. Initially I drove it for a quarter mile in 4L until I could pull over. Then probably another mile or so by the dealer around their lot.

I don't need advice on the lemon law portion, more so on just being explained if the leak and bearing could have been messed up by the 4L situation or by it being towed to me improperly. It all just seems so suspicious since it came out of nowhere. Or if there's a way I can force Ford Corporate to deal with this since it happened under their custody and the warranty existed before I gave it to them.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
not a lawyer or mechanic. but i will put in my 2 cents worth. yes those things can make problems 4l is really rough on stuff if used in any other conditions than slow off road etc. i would say that if it was in the shop under warranty and came back with issues you would have at least grounds to request ford corp to do something to help out. However, i will say up front my luck with ford customer care, ford dealer service and ford warranty is 100% piss poor. I dont plan to purchase a new ford again. sadly its not the ford products that make me feel that way. all brands can have problems and issues. how they treat customers and handle issues is what makes the difference.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4

December 14, 2023: While on vacation in Seattle, WA my truck spontaneously shifted into 4L while on I-5 and wouldn't go back to 2H when I pulled over.

December 28, 2023: bumper to bumper warranty expired

January 19, 2023: Ford shipped the truck. I picked it up from a dealer in Los Angeles with a brand new transfer case and transfer case motor. Once I drove away onto the highway I started to hear a spinning noise. By the time I realized it, the dealer had closed.

January 20, 2023: Dropped off the truck at the same Los Angeles Ford service dept.

February 22, 2023: After a month of delays the service dept tells me the driveshaft is leaking (covered under powertrain) and the driveshaft needs a new bearing (not covered under powertrain). They're refusing to work on the truck until they're given authorization that I'll pay.

None of these issues existed before I gave the truck to the Ford dealership in Seattle. Ford Corporate hasn't been super helpful. They're refusing to engage in Lemon Law discussions until the truck is out of service so I'm kind of in a Catch 22.

Does anybody have any input at all so I know how to fight this? Is it possible driving it around in 4L caused the issues? Was it towed improperly? I just need to have some info so I can fight it.
What do they mean by “driveshaft leak” ? And are they referring to the carrier bearing when they say drive shaft bearing? I’m assuming that they’re talking about the rear drive shaft from transmission to rear axle???

OP
OP

sandy_koufax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
What do they mean by “driveshaft leak” ? And are they referring to the carrier bearing when they say drive shaft bearing? I’m assuming that they’re talking about the rear drive shaft from transmission to rear axle???
The only thing to add is they told me "there are two bearings in the driveshaft and one of them is messed up but we're not sure which one yet". You now have all the information that I have. I can go back in person and ask them for more details. Any tips on specific questions to ask?

Last edited:

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
I'm really good at a few things but mechanics of an ICE car aren't one of them. I'm repeating basically everything I was told on the phone today. The only thing to add is they told me "there are two bearings in the driveshaft and one of them is messed up but we're not sure which one yet". You now have all the information that I have. Does what they say not make sense? I can go back in person and ask them for more details. Any tips on specific questions to ask?
Tell them you want an full detailed estimate showing both verbiage and parts list. If you’re in the 5 year /60000 mile period anything to do with with the driveshaft ( seals or bearings) is covered. So them saying one is covered and one is not doesn’t make sense. See attached listing of what’s covered in the 5/60 warranty. Or they screwed up something when they did the other repair and aren’t owning up to it. Either way they have to give you a full detailed estimate before proceeding.

IMG_9210.png

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I’m pretty sure your January and February dates in your original post are for 2024, yes?

It would be helpful to know a few more details…
  1. What date did your warranty expire?
  2. Are these new issues with the rear two-piece driveshaft?
  3. The front CV or maybe both?
  4. Which bearing, center bearing or carrier (inside diff IINM)?
In what seems to be a disagreement over who should pay for a repair that can actually be performed, you sure seemed quick to jump to Lemon Law. That might not be serving you well here. It’s like when someone even hints at getting a lawyer when dealing with insurers - radio silence.

This appears to be a warranty dispute rather than a case for Lemon Law.
Here’s something from the LA County Comsumer and Business Affairs website…

When does the Lemon Law apply?
California’s Lemon Law applies when a “reasonable” number of repair attempts have been made. This is called the Lemon Law Presumption.​
The Lemon Law Presumption applies if all the following are true:​
  • The problems your car is having are covered under the manufacturer’s warranty.
  • The problem first occurred within 18 months of delivery, or within 18,000 miles, whichever came first. (For major defects after this time frame, talk to an attorney.)
  • The problem reduces the use, value or safety of the vehicle to you, and the problems were not caused by abuse.
  • If the warranty or owner’s manual requires it, you have notified the manufacturer about the problems. (It’s best to have this in writing).
And if any one of the following is also true:​
  1. You’ve taken the car in for repairs four or more times for the same problem and it’s still not fixed.
  2. You’ve taken the car in for repairs two or more times for a problem that is severe enough to cause death or serious bodily injury and it’s still not fixed.
  3. The vehicle has been in the shop for more than 30 days (not necessarily in a row) for repair of any problem covered by the warranty.
If your vehicle meets these criteria, the Lemon Law presumes a reasonable number of repair attempts have been made and you may be entitled to a replacement or a refund.​

Anyway, your truck’s issues might be related to a botched repair or the initial transfer case problem. If you can find out more about which driveshaft and bearings they’re referring to, folks on here might be able to better help you resolve this, or at least come to terms with it.

Anyway, good luck. 🤞

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
File the paperwork for Lemon Law. The worst that happens is they fix it or you get a discounted new truck or cash. Win win.

Lcr3000

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
not a lawyer or mechanic. but i will put in my 2 cents worth. yes those things can make problems 4l is really rough on stuff if used in any other conditions than slow off road etc. i would say that if it was in the shop under warranty and came back with issues you would have at least grounds to request ford corp to do something to help out. However, i will say up front my luck with ford customer care, ford dealer service and ford warranty is 100% piss poor. I dont plan to purchase a new ford again. sadly its not the ford products that make me feel that way. all brands can have problems and issues. how they treat customers and handle issues is what makes the difference.
I totally agree with your response here. Just to add, look at the current CEO making more money than anyone deserves while running the company into the ground. It's obvious that Ford is going to suffer from the "we don't care" attitude. Change the CEO for one that actually knows how to conduct business and you have a much better company.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
So I'm actually a lawyer, but not a lemon law attorney. It's been in the shop for 2 months so it is a candidate.

It didn't "accidentally" go into 4L. The motor ground shorted, not sure what that means though. It locked into 4L and wouldn't come out. Took the dealer a few weeks to figure out what's going on. Initially I drove it for a quarter mile in 4L until I could pull over. Then probably another mile or so by the dealer around their lot.

I don't need advice on the lemon law portion, more so on just being explained if the leak and bearing could have been messed up by the 4L situation or by it being towed to me improperly. It all just seems so suspicious since it came out of nowhere. Or if there's a way I can force Ford Corporate to deal with this since it happened under their custody and the warranty existed before I gave it to them.
IMO a bad carrier bearing could cause a leak at the output shaft of the trans due to excess vibrations, but I don't see how the switch into 4L would cause that.
Bumper to bumper is 3yr/36K, drive train (which includes your problem) is 5yr/60K, so unless you have more than 60K, you should be covered.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Either way, Both Ft and Rear Driveshafts were removed to replace the Transfer Case and then reinstalled.
So, it boils down to it was removed and reinstalled thus changing its learned install angle and vibrating.

Now is it just the case of it was worn out at the time they replaced the T/Case and now it is showing with the R&R?
or was it reinstalled incorrectly and showed itself immediately?
or
Was is damaged along with the Transfer Case locking itself into 4-Low?

With either scenario it should fall back to the last service date as by the information provided thus far.

Locked into 4 Low at speed will put undue stress on the driveshafts and connection points and this was possibly missed on the initial evaluation of damaged parts from the event and was not noted until you drove it, as the techs most likely just did a service bay test and a short drive around the block.
If this was driven on the highway by the installing dealer, they would have noted it.
This is the most important point of this - TEST DRIVE

Grandaccess

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Either way, Both Ft and Rear Driveshafts were removed to replace the Transfer Case and then reinstalled.
So, it boils down to it was removed and reinstalled thus changing its learned install angle and vibrating.

Now is it just the case of it was worn out at the time they replaced the T/Case and now it is showing with the R&R?
or was it reinstalled incorrectly and showed itself immediately?
or
Was is damaged along with the Transfer Case locking itself into 4-Low?

With either scenario it should fall back to the last service date as by the information provided thus far.

Locked into 4 Low at speed will put undue stress on the driveshafts and connection points and this was possibly missed on the initial evaluation of damaged parts from the event and was not noted until you drove it, as the techs most likely just did a service bay test and a short drive around the block.
If this was driven on the highway by the installing dealer, they would have noted it.
This is the most important point of this - TEST DRIVE
and is there an after market Lift or level?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So if you were going down the highway and it all of a sudden went into 4LO, I can promise you would know it was in 4LO especially since it will not let you shift into 4LO unless stopped and in Neutral.......