Engine Start/Stop when parking

Bonder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
I just got a new 2021 Ranger Lariat a month or so ago and have found an annoying issue. Not sure if its just a me thing, or if there is something I can do to resolve it.

When parking either at home or in lots, when pulling into stalls and coming to a stop, the engine start/stop shuts the truck off before I can shift into park. Then of course it restarts once I shift it, then I turn it off with the button.

Is this a normal thing for a start/stop system? I am coming from an 04 F150, so technology has come a long way since then.
Sponsored

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I just got a new 2021 Ranger Lariat a month or so ago and have found an annoying issue. Not sure if its just a me thing, or if there is something I can do to resolve it.

When parking either at home or in lots, when pulling into stalls and coming to a stop, the engine start/stop shuts the truck off before I can shift into park. Then of course it restarts once I shift it, then I turn it off with the button.

Is this a normal thing for a start/stop system? I am coming from an 04 F150, so technology has come a long way since then.
Yup :)

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
Interesting. my XLT only does it if I hold the pedal down far enough. the slightest twinge on the brake and it restarts. it is so quick I can watch a light turn yellow in another direction, twitch my foot and have it restart as it turns green for me.

try a rolling stop, or come almost to a stop and then move another inch. I bet it doesn't do that.
Edit: when i say twitch I mean flex the muscles in my foot. it relives just enough brake pressure to be noticed by the system, but not enough to actually let it move.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Bonder

Bonder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I will have to try a few things with feathering the brake to see if I can make it better. I could try S as well. I don't think I have shifted into S yet. :like:

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I will have to try a few things with feathering the brake to see if I can make it better. I could try S as well. I don't think I have shifted into S yet. :like:
Well. You're in for a treat. Assuming you haven't gotten it broken in, then wait to you hit 1000 miles and then take it out on an empty road and mash it.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
My ASS is not that annoying. Mine takes a few seconds for the engine to stop, only noticed it at lights and stop signs.
My wife’s Outback is much quicker to show its ASS function than my Ranger.

Might be something that can be timed longer in FORScan if you like your ASS…..function.

OP
OP
Bonder

Bonder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Well. You're in for a treat. Assuming you haven't gotten it broken in, then wait to you hit 1000 miles and then take it out on an empty road and mash it.
Yep, I am up to just over 2000KMs now, so she is broken in. I got it up to 80MPH in a 50 without even noticing, so it definitely rides nice.

KnightWolf

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
IT Consulting

Yes & it's very counter intuitive. Our VW shuts off when put into park, which makes sense. If you don't shift out of park within 15 min or get out of the car (auto locks) it simply shuts off. Wish the Ranger would behave this way.

Reactions: Doc

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR

I put a led night light in the rear outlet. Problem solved.

FF1BA7BC-ED22-4E2B-A93D-9D023A8153E3.jpeg

Reactions: Doc

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
I actually like the stop/start except when parking. I expect it does have some benefits to mpg and it works pretty damned well. That said the Livernois tunes disable it and I haven’t bothered to ask for a tune to re-enable it.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
I actually like the stop/start except when parking. I expect it does have some benefits to mpg and it works pretty damned well. That said the Livernois tunes disable it and I haven’t bothered to ask for a tune to re-enable it.
I’m worried the wear & tear on the starter will out way the benefits.
Sponsored