Electric F150 Lightning

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I think the design is futuristic enough without going off the deep-end.
I'm still chuckling over the line about doorstops and space ships.
Sponsored

spartan0078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger lariat
Occupation
Railroader
Fucking $68k in Canada for the XLT ?.

It has way more options on it than the base model in the US will, but still that's a helluva price to swallow.

Up to $110k also. For reference that's over $20k more than a Limited f150.

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
Before you folks go out and buy electric vehicles checkout the youtube video of the guy that drove a Mustang Mach E over the Rock Mts to LA. He's pro electric car but felt it had a way to conservative charging curve. Charging is a pain and it's most efficient to only charge to 80%. The plus side it does tell you where the charging stations are.
Can you say "Not ready for Prime Time!"

Maybe in the future, but, I sort of think Ford is rushing to appease the tech lovers, of which I'm one, when it works.

I live in Colorado and I can do the Fort Collins to Grand Junction (where he had the charging issues) on a single tank of gas (not towing) in around 5 hours. Taking him that long to charge ... LOL.

I've made that same trip (round trip) in a single day with purchasing a bike in the middle and there is no way you could do that with the current (notice what I did there) state of charging.

As a commuter car where you fill at home ... sure ... I can see that. As a retired guy that wants to take his trike on road trips (tow the trike, drive the truck) I just don't see this being feasible. Maybe feasible, but, not real practical.

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Can you say "Not ready for Prime Time!"

Maybe in the future, but, I sort of think Ford is rushing to appease the tech lovers, of which I'm one, when it works.

I live in Colorado and I can do the Fort Collins to Grand Junction (where he had the charging issues) on a single tank of gas (not towing) in around 5 hours. Taking him that long to charge ... LOL.

I've made that same trip (round trip) in a single day with purchasing a bike in the middle and there is no way you could do that with the current (notice what I did there) state of charging.

As a commuter car where you fill at home ... sure ... I can see that. As a retired guy that wants to take his trike on road trips (tow the trike, drive the truck) I just don't see this being feasible. Maybe feasible, but, not real practical.
The guy in this video made a comment how he had charged 4 or 5 other times on his trip and had no issues. he was upset people focuses on this 1 bad charging experience.

Keep in mind this is Ford's first real jump into electrification with the Mach-E and F150 Lightning. Tesla has been doing this for years and has over 25,000 chargers across country. I've taken tesla all across country and had 0 issues with charging or range. Ford just needs time to work out the issues.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
The guy in this video made a comment how he had charged 4 or 5 other times on his trip and had no issues. he was upset people focuses on this 1 bad charging experience.

Keep in mind this is Ford's first real jump into electrification with the Mach-E and F150 Lightning. Tesla has been doing this for years and has over 25,000 chargers across country. I've taken tesla all across country and had 0 issues with charging or range. Ford just needs time to work out the issues.
It is true and understandable that Ford needs time to work out the issues and to build a nation-wide network of charging stations. Until they do, it looks like the Ford PHEVs are still a safer bet than the EV, safer in the sense of not running the risk of the batteries draining out in the boondocks somewhere and ruining your vacation. For daily drives, which in my case are usually under 100 miles anyway, EV sounds great, but do I really need two vehicles in a household where I am the only one who drives?

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer

Honestly, they should standarize charging stations. Imaging only being able to use a Ford branded gas station?

I'm not a fan of government regulations, but on some things we need them to step in and make manufacturers do the right thing.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honestly, they should standarize charging stations. Imaging only being able to use a Ford branded gas station?

I'm not a fan of government regulations, but on some things we need them to step in and make manufacturers do the right thing.
there already is a standard, tesla just decided not to use it. there are adapters for plugging a tesla charger into a standard car (but not yet for superchargers AFAIK). I think this will eventually fix itself because I can't imagine tesla wants to be in the proprietary charger O&M business for the long term.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
there already is a standard, tesla just decided not to use it. there are adapters for plugging a tesla charger into a standard car (but not yet for superchargers AFAIK). I think this will eventually fix itself because I can't imagine tesla wants to be in the proprietary charger O&M business for the long term.
This is good to know

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase

Ford is working with Electrify America for chargers. These are pretty standard unbranded chargers that can be found all over the place. You can also use Chargepoint to find other public charging stations. Electrify America and Chargepoint stations are compatible with all electric cars, though you may need an adapter for your cord.

ChargingPorts.png

When the original Tesla Roadster was released in 2008, there was no international recognized standard for either AC or DC car charging.

Tesla charger design allowed for the peculiar US electricity system that supplies single phase 120V/two phase 240V AC as well as combining a DC charge system into the same plug

The international EV charging standards were established in 2010, 2 years after Tesla was shipping cars to people.

Additionally, Tesla offered access to their Supercharging network patents for any automaker, if the agreed to help build charging stations. For 1 reason or another, no automakers took them up on this, thereby locking themselves out of the network.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford is working with Electrify America for chargers. These are pretty standard unbranded chargers that can be found all over the place. You can also use Chargepoint to find other public charging stations. Electrify America and Chargepoint stations are compatible with all electric cars, though you may need an adapter for your cord.

ChargingPorts.png

When the original Tesla Roadster was released in 2008, there was no international recognized standard for either AC or DC car charging.
J1772 had already been around for 7 years, and everybody knew that there was an upgraded revision in progress. Tesla just didn't want to wait or play ball. Which is fine, but the end result is that they'll almost certainly need to switch eventually to match everyone else.

Additionally, Tesla offered access to their Supercharging network patents for any automaker, if the agreed to help build charging stations. For 1 reason or another, no automakers took them up on this, thereby locking themselves out of the network.
Why would any other company sign up to get locked into a tesla proprietary solution?

The superchargers didn't actually start running until 2012, more than a year after the CCS standard went to IEC. Elon wanted to move on his own schedule without listening to anyone else, and one consequence of that is ending up alone wondering why nobody joined you.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
well, I signed up for one. Not to replace the Ranger, though.
Great! I am certainly tempted but want to wait to see how things go--and to see if the coming generation of Rangers will include PHEV and/or EV that work and have support nationwide. I only need one vehicle at a time and so am keeping my options open for the time being. Be sure to let us know how you like it when you get it!

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
Great! I am certainly tempted but want to wait to see how things go--and to see if the coming generation of Rangers will include PHEV and/or EV that work and have support nationwide. I only need one vehicle at a time and so am keeping my options open for the time being. Be sure to let us know how you like it when you get it!
It needs to be a better rollout than the Bronco fullsized, and I wasn't wild about the other options styling. I am cautiously optimistic. lotsa questions still to be answered.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Agreed. I usually keep a car for a while, but I would do a PHEV... just not the first year.

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
Agreed. I usually keep a car for a while, but I would do a PHEV... just not the first year.
My experience with a Chevy Volt was that the first year was the over engineered and babysitted version for bringing the tech to spotlight . It may be that the first PHEV versions are those "not afforded to fail" versions before the bean counters are allowed to optimize the production.

E.g. Things which got removed from later versions included underside cover, underside noise dampening, hard drive from stereo, bi-color seats, rare earth magnets, coating on brake rotors, etc. Stuff which shaved off the production costs. In return the later models fixed some issues (like a drive motor bad bearing choice) and widened the available SOC window. I honestly believe that for Volts the first versions will significantly outlast the later production.

Of course, we'll never know how Ford will go with it until a PHEV version is released. However they should have some info from the passenger PHEVs already.
Sponsored