Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
How did you manage to get the bolts loose? All the videos I’ve watched they are just using a ratchet. I’ve put all the man strength I have into a ratchet, and they don’t budge.
1/2" breaker bar, 3" extension and a 6 point impact socket. Piece of cake.

Last edited:

Washashore

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4
CBCD7B69-29CD-4D4C-B52D-2B726063980A.jpeg

fill like it’s crooked and don’t know why? Will this cause a problem?
Did You install it yourself, or have a shop do it? It looks like one side was dropped during shipping. I would suggest exchanging it for another one, as your drawbar and / or hitch accessory (such as bike rack) will be leaning to one side.

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
1/2" breaker bar, 3" extension and a 6 point impact socket. Piece of cake.
I used a X wheel lug wrench - it usually has a 19mm on one corner - lay down under the truck foot on one part arm. on the opposite and get to it...... just make sure you're going the right direction.... don't as me why I added that last part........

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
medical
Did You install it yourself, or have a shop do it? It looks like one side was dropped during shipping. I would suggest exchanging it for another one, as your drawbar and / or hitch accessory (such as bike rack) will be leaning to one side.
[/QUOTE
can't imagine it being that crooked - drawtite is a pretty good maker.

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
medical
Update: I contacted draw-Tite and they are sending a new hitch
good! they generally make good stuff - how that got past the QC people- who knows? but glad they're fixing it for you. at least you got a practice instal :like:

Mustangman02232

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 ranger
Almost Took me longer to get a beer out of the fridge then to install mine, having it tucked into the bumper isn’t worth $350 imo

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Almost Took me longer to get a beer out of the fridge then to install mine, having it tucked into the bumper isn’t worth $350 imo
For $495 one installed from the factory and is covered under warranty seems like a deal to me.

Sparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
A deal -- Hardly. The cost of a CURT hitch and plug-n-play trailer harness with the 7 pin RV plug and bracket costs just under 200 bucks. Install time is around 2 hours on average. Net savings minus your labor is 300 bucks -- This I call a fair deal. Factory offering - Not so much.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
For $495 one installed from the factory and is covered under warranty seems like a deal to me.
if you order, sure. if you're choosing from dealer stock a surprising number don't have a hitch. I'm not sure what you'd warranty on a hitch, but if you're adding it I think it's going to be covered by like a 1 year or something, not the bumper-to-bumper anyway. from a technical standpoint the OEM and aftermarket options are pretty much identical. OEM gives a bit more clearance, aftermarket requires less drop. so mostly it's just looks & price. *all* factory tow options are overpriced, but the ranger isn't the worst offender.

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A deal -- Hardly. The cost of a CURT hitch and plug-n-play trailer harness with the 7 pin RV plug and bracket costs just under 200 bucks. Install time is around 2 hours on average. Net savings minus your labor is 300 bucks -- This I call a fair deal. Factory offering - Not so much.
So, If I only cared about the hitch and wiring, your correct. But I also want the other things that come with the Factory Tow Package, Trailer Sensors, Software (I know can be turned on with FORScan if all of the sensors and modules are installed). When you add that stuff up with the labor, I think you are much closer to the sticker price to add the tow package. I also understand about what a dealer may have on the lot, but the dealer can also install the package as well. When all of the stuff that comes with the tow package is covered under the bumper to bumper warranty for three years (maybe longer if the extended warranty is purchased) it is worth it for me. Each person has their own value and needs, but for me, it is well worth not worrying about if I installed it right, or will the nuts work their way off because of road vibration or is the wiring done correctly. So with the factory install, I have a piece of mind as well.

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What is there to warranty on a hitch? It’s square tube.....
With the Factory Tow Package, the wiring is warrantied, the modules, the sensors, and everything that comes as part of the Tow Package. Now days, it is not just a square tube, it is a lot more.
Sponsored