First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Fx4
Occupation
Arborist
Just curious, has anyone run a downpipe only on these trucks? As in downpipe to open air? Was it oem diameter piping or larger? Did it sound good or likegarbage? Are there sensors after the downpipe? More boost lag? Thanks!
Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
I have run a down pipe only on my 311 hp turbo busa. If you did it on the truck it would be extremely loud and not emissions legal. You would have to route it away from underneath the truck to the side or the vibration and noise would be unbearable. Drone would not be able to describe the noise.

A down pipe would not change the boost. It would remove a massive amount of restriction and result in more hp. Boost is controlled at the waste gate not the pipe.

OP
OP
arbjosh

arbjosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Fx4
Occupation
Arborist
I'm just thinking there's gotta be a way to get a clean turbo sound without all the extra gargle. I haven't looked at the factory exhaust but maybe 3 inch straight downpipe to a resonator or muffler to tip.

Skeletor

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I'm just thinking there's gotta be a way to get a clean turbo sound without all the extra gargle. I haven't looked at the factory exhaust but maybe 3 inch straight downpipe to a resonator or muffler to tip.
I just got rid of my muffler delete that had the resonator, it was unbearable while pulling my travel trailer. So much drone, but great when I wasn't pulling. Installed Borla

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
I'm just thinking there's gotta be a way to get a clean turbo sound without all the extra gargle....,
Hi arbjosh, I have a question and hope it is not taken wrong because that’s not my intention.

Just curious if you actually knew what a turbo sounds like that is not restricted? I have a turbo motorcycle and it has a turbo that is bigger than most cars. It puts out 311 hp to the ground but it’s capable of 600+ If I added secondary injectors.

In the picture you can see I have a dump pipe exiting the right side of the bike. There is only gargle at idle and low power. It’s loud! It’s not a pleasant noise.

That set up is the least restrictive and you get the turbo noise. Look on YouTube for videos of what a dump pipe turbo sounds like.

When it comes to exhaust note, I would always choose a built motor or big cam motor over turbo. They sound SWEET!

I do like turbo sounds because of what it means. Smooth power and usually way more power than non turbo motors.

So a clean turbo sound I don’t believe is possible.

D4734BEF-FB1C-44F5-BD6C-A36B1E17A44C.jpeg

OP
OP
arbjosh

arbjosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Fx4
Occupation
Arborist
Haha no offense taken. That's a sweet busa! As far as my knowledge of the tones I can only speak from experience and what I've seen. My first car was an srt4 (I know just a neon lol) and my last was a 6.0l F250. The srt was a dump pipe only and the 250 was straight piped from the turbo back. Both in my opinion sounded amazing especially the 6.0. Maybe I phrased my original question incorrectly. I didn't mean just a down pipe to atmosphere. I just meant in general a good spool sound without being drowned out by the 4 cylinder noise. Maybe a pipe dream? Haha. Btw I fell in love with turbos when I was 16 and asked my cousin "what's a turbo?" and he just threw me the keys to his sr20 240 and let me drive it around.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Haha no offense taken. That's a sweet busa! As far as my knowledge of the tones I can only speak from experience and what I've seen. My first car was an srt4 (I know just a neon lol) and my last was a 6.0l F250. The srt was a dump pipe only and the 250 was straight piped from the turbo back. Both in my opinion sounded amazing especially the 6.0. Maybe I phrased my original question incorrectly. I didn't mean just a down pipe to atmosphere. I just meant in general a good spool sound without being drowned out by the 4 cylinder noise. Maybe a pipe dream? Haha. Btw I fell in love with turbos when I was 16 and asked my cousin "what's a turbo?" and he just threw me the keys to his sr20 240 and let me drive it around.
Your best bet for spooly sounds without the 4cyl noise would be some sort of cold air intake.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport

Keep in mine the turbo is ultra tiny. The best way to hear the noises would be to start on the intake side with a set of charge pipes, an aftermarket recirc valve, an Intercooler, and a cold air intake (though I don't like them in truck applications where dust can be a factor).

On the exhaust side you need a catless downpipe, remove the restrictor on the muffler, and to remove the resonator on the exhaust pipe and that should allow the spool noises to escape properly but you'll definitely hear it better on the intake tract.
Sponsored