Don't hate me, but I'm trading in.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
@JAKE2.3 . Congrats on the switch. I have been looking seriously at the RAM as well. I have a few friends that have them and they love them. No Issues at all. They are both Diesels, a 2018 and a 2019.

They are absolutely beautiful inside.

I was going to move to one but with the prices going thru the roof and the chip issue, I'm going to wait a few years to move. I retire in late 2022 so maybe 2023 will be the time to move - or, when the chip shortage is resolved and they have 10's of thousands of trucks to unload. That should get us all good incentives - on all brands.

Still haven't 100% decided on the brand - Ford or Ram yet. Still have time.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. I haven't signed the paper work yet. I owed a little less than 30 on the truck, I got 34 for it. The ram stickered at 53 I think. I'm not positive the dollar amount on all the incentives. I just knew what the payment was coming out to.
i don’t get it. How do you trade a $34k truck for a $53k truck for $30 a month unless you add years to the deal. Or is this a lease? Either way, I don’t get the math.

troutspinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Good luck with it!

This is my 2019 5th Gen. before I moved back to mid-size.

CCA89086-FF58-4BB3-BB22-536F145EE725.jpeg

I didn’t want to get rid of it, I loved that truck but I was an early adopter and it was one of the ones before they were even upgraded in the 2019 model year for a better crash rating. Regardless, it had it’s share of nagging issues. I met the requirements to LL it due to the brakes alone but what made me make the final decision was the steering wheel not returning to center when going on a moderate or highway speed curve. Scary stuff, having to fight the wheel to come back to center, you know, so you don’t die! Plenty of steering racks were replaced for other owners due to this problem but it didn’t cure it for all so I decided to move on. That was when I made the decision to try mid-size and here we are.

Don’t take my post wrong, this is not a be careful what you wish for type post as I am sure many of the issues have been addressed. I will admit, I am snake bitten by Ram since that truck because my 2014 Ram was perfect. I do miss that 2019 at times. As you can see, It was pretty sweet looking and it rode so nice. I had it equipped with the Level 2, Off Road and Sport Packages with pretty much every bell and whistle a Big Horn could have.

Enjoy it! Don’t get mad when a Ranger beats you to the next light. ;) lol

OP
OP

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
i don’t get it. How do you trade a $34k truck for a $53k truck for $30 a month unless you add years to the deal. Or is this a lease? Either way, I don’t get the math.
I can report back after I get the paperwork and have some hard and fast figures. The 53k is before incentives and my equity though, so that number is inflated quite a bit. It stickers for 53, I'm not paying that. Same loan term length.

OP
OP

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Appraiser
Good luck with it!

This is my 2019 5th Gen. before I moved back to mid-size.

CCA89086-FF58-4BB3-BB22-536F145EE725.jpeg

I didn’t want to get rid of it, I loved that truck but I was an early adopter and it was one of the ones before they were even upgraded in the 2019 model year for a better crash rating. Regardless, it had it’s share of nagging issues. I met the requirements to LL it due to the brakes alone but what made me make the final decision was the steering wheel not returning to center when going on a moderate or highway speed curve. Scary stuff, having to fight the wheel to come back to center, you know, so you don’t die! Plenty of steering racks were replaced for other owners due to this problem but it didn’t cure it for all so I decided to move on. That was when I made the decision to try mid-size and here we are.

Don’t take my post wrong, this is not a be careful what you wish for type post as I am sure many of the issues have been addressed. I will admit, I am snake bitten by Ram since that truck because my 2014 Ram was perfect. I do miss that 2019 at times. As you can see, It was pretty sweet looking and it rode so nice. I had it equipped with the Level 2, Off Road and Sport Packages with pretty much every bell and whistle a Big Horn could have.

Enjoy it! Don’t get mad when a Ranger beats you to the next light. ;) lol
Thanks for the information. I did a bit of research and saw some of the common issues. My take is that a lot of manufacturers have issues, you just gotta hope you get a good one. If not, lemon law and warranties have to step in. My wife and I are just finishing up a lemon law case on her Kia Seltos that had a bad trans at 8k miles. What a nightmare that was.

After my last three vehicles have had turbo motors, I don't underestimate anything on the road. These rangers are no joke, especially after a tune. They've come a long way since my '95 5 speed. I used to joke that I measured 0-60 on it in minutes, not seconds.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I love my ranger, but I couldn't pass up the deal. I got a quote out of curiosity from carvana for my xl ($29k) and then I tried vroom (31k). Good prices, but not enough to make me consider. My buddy is a business manager at a jeep / ram dealer. We just leased my wife's new jeep cherokee from them a month ago. So far, it's been great, she loves it. Anyway, the other day, he sent me a text asking me if I wanted to part with my ranger. Without me telling him my previous offers, he offered me 34k for it. He knows I'm a ford guy, so he said he could get me into an f150 even though he deals mainly with chrysler. I said okay, I'd take a look. While I was there, I looked around at some of the new rams. He threw me the keys for a new hemi and I took it for a spin. I fell in love. Turns out, the incentives were better on the rams, so I pulled the trigger. With my trade in, and incentives (albeit smaller than what I got last year with the covid deals), I'm getting an extra 20k worth of truck for $30 more a month. I've had zero problems with the ranger (other than the blown shock), and it's been a great truck. If I wasn't planning on doing a bunch of camping, I probably wouldn't consider trading. I have no doubts that the ranger will pull my trailer just fine, but for the price, I'll gladly take the 12k towing capacity.

I can't pick it up til Monday. They had to go to Ohio to get the package that I wanted. 2021 white hemi 1500 with night package. I don't have a picture of it yet, but below is what it will look like. I wanna thank you all for having me here. I've learned quite a bit, and had quite a few laughs. You guys and gals are a bunch of good eggs. I'll stick around and check in from time to time. I really do enjoy all the builds and the back and forth banter. As crazy as this past year has been, for me, it has been quite enjoyable here.

rm020-349fn-1567258875.jpg
A man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do! :) Congratulations on your new truck!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I love my ranger, but I couldn't pass up the deal. I got a quote out of curiosity from carvana for my xl ($29k) and then I tried vroom (31k). Good prices, but not enough to make me consider. My buddy is a business manager at a jeep / ram dealer. We just leased my wife's new jeep cherokee from them a month ago. So far, it's been great, she loves it. Anyway, the other day, he sent me a text asking me if I wanted to part with my ranger. Without me telling him my previous offers, he offered me 34k for it. He knows I'm a ford guy, so he said he could get me into an f150 even though he deals mainly with chrysler. I said okay, I'd take a look. While I was there, I looked around at some of the new rams. He threw me the keys for a new hemi and I took it for a spin. I fell in love. Turns out, the incentives were better on the rams, so I pulled the trigger. With my trade in, and incentives (albeit smaller than what I got last year with the covid deals), I'm getting an extra 20k worth of truck for $30 more a month. I've had zero problems with the ranger (other than the blown shock), and it's been a great truck. If I wasn't planning on doing a bunch of camping, I probably wouldn't consider trading. I have no doubts that the ranger will pull my trailer just fine, but for the price, I'll gladly take the 12k towing capacity.

I can't pick it up til Monday. They had to go to Ohio to get the package that I wanted. 2021 white hemi 1500 with night package. I don't have a picture of it yet, but below is what it will look like. I wanna thank you all for having me here. I've learned quite a bit, and had quite a few laughs. You guys and gals are a bunch of good eggs. I'll stick around and check in from time to time. I really do enjoy all the builds and the back and forth banter. As crazy as this past year has been, for me, it has been quite enjoyable here.

rm020-349fn-1567258875.jpg
Congrats on your new Ram Jake! I don't blame you for passing up a deal like that, you have to do what's best for you. Sounds like the Ram just suites your needs better right now and you can always get another Ranger in the future. Even though you still don't have your Ranger I hope you still come back to the looney bin once in a while. :crazy:

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
This was my RAM before the RANGER. Ok truck, but I wasn't digging the 15mpg on a HEMI!
ra3.jpg

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
If I may, what was the difference OTD after your trade in?
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. I haven't signed the paper work yet. I owed a little less than 30 on the truck, I got 34 for it. The ram stickered at 53 I think. I'm not positive the dollar amount on all the incentives. I just knew what the payment was coming out to.
I'll never understand a payment based shopper.

Looks like $30 a month to them. But looks like $40k to me, after A LOT of incentives.

That being said, Dodge has always had the best incentives. Saw they were still offering 0% on some Cherokees yesterday.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Nice truck, congrats.

Though if I walked into a Jeep dealer with money to blow, I'd probably roll out in a Willy's Wrangler.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
I'm originally a MOPAR guy since well when Reagan was president..
I still have my 2009 RAM 1500 4x4 crew cab 5.7L in bright silver, it had 157,000 on it and aside from IL winter/salt rust at the bottom it runs like a champ. My 17 year old son drives it now and its funny because when I bought it he was a 'lil guy still in a car seat!
I think it still rides better than a lot of other/newer full size trucks I've driven, we have done a ton of road trips in it and its never been on a flat bed of let us stuck. Then again I am fat on maintenance.

We dont plan on cutting it loose anytime soon; I have a lifetime factory warranty on the engine and powertrain that has a $100 deductible and purchased the Premium Care extended MOPAR warranty for Life that also has a $100 deductible, it covers everything BUT wear items, I usually dont buy warranties that long but I got it for $1780..Both have saved me a TON of cash over the years. I'm guessing the stealership was probably authorized about $10k in work since I've had it.

I like my Ranger BUT if I needed to go back to full size again it would be the RAM w/o hesitation. If at the time I bought this truck they were making a mid-size truck it would have been the first test drive on my list. I've owned two Dakota's before, one was a used '99 and the other was a new '02. both were nice. The only bad thing about the RAM was that it was too big to fit easily in my garage, so the wife had dibs on heated parking. NOW the ranger is the garage queen! The last two winters she had gotten a taste of warming up the car, scraping ice & clearing snow...

GOOD LUCK!

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
Congrats on the decision...nice looking truck ! When my clients ask my opinion on one brand over another, I tell them to enjoy their vehicle first and foremost. Then for simply financial considerations I point them to depreciation calculators. For fun I ran yours, assuming 53k purchase price, 12k miles a year. Do with the information what you will just FYI, I would not go with a long term on this vehicle lest you like being upside down.

https://caredge.com/ram/1500/depreciation?y=0&p=53000&o=3&m=12000

Last edited:
OP
OP

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Appraiser
Nice truck, congrats.

Though if I walked into a Jeep dealer with money to blow, I'd probably roll out in a Willy's Wrangler.
I've always wanted a wrangler, too. I have my '68 cj-5 though that I built with my dad and grandfather. That one will be one that I'll never part with. I MIGHT pass it on to the boy one day if I can bring myself to do it ha.

OP
OP

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Appraiser
Congrats on the decision...nice looking truck ! When my clients ask my opinion on one brand over another, I tell them to enjoy their vehicle first and foremost. Then for simply financial considerations I point them to depreciation calculators. For fun I ran yours, assuming 53k purchase price, 12k miles a year. Do with the information what you will just FYI, I would not go with a long term on this vehicle lest you like being upside down.

https://caredge.com/ram/1500/depreciation?y=0&p=53000&o=3&m=12000
Thanks for the information, Chris. I'll be the first to admit that new car buying is rarely a wise decision. I've just always been a guy that likes to have new vehicles. Some people don't care, and that's absolutely fine with me. The fact that I was able to be this far right side up on the ranger after a year had me completely baffled. Who knows what the car market is going to do for a while. It's a crap shoot. Should be interesting to see where it goes the next couple years.
Sponsored