Does the stock spare tire location work for off-road?

MrBusses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 4dr FX4
Occupation
Ford Tech
thats where i got my spare rims from the bronco buyers doing all the fluffy pimp wheels and tires leaves lots of stock and steelies for rangers.
Black Diamond steelies look awesome on the Ranger. Trying to get one more to use as my spare now.

PXL_20230604_180020093.jpg
Sponsored

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Depends what kind of off-roading but here the terrain is very uneven with lots of hills and rocks. I don't off-road this truck but I have in the Rangers and Sport Tracs I had before and I'd always put the spare in the bed. Not so much for ground clearance but I was afraid of cutting the sidewall on a rock.

RayO

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Stupid question here. Do you all have the spare tire matching the off road set on the truck?
I just recently upgraded to all terrain tires but have not changed the spare, it still has the original issued spare tire and rim purchased with the truck?
Do I need to buy a fifth tire?

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Stupid question here. Do you all have the spare tire matching the off road set on the truck?
I just recently upgraded to all terrain tires but have not changed the spare, it still has the original issued spare tire and rim purchased with the truck?
Do I need to buy a fifth tire?
yes and yes.
the stock spare wheel is fine as long as it will safely handle the same tires as the four mounted on the truck. most folks change tire size / type. two different diameter tires on a 4x4 or on one axle is not a good thing. as far as tire type goes i think of it this way. if i had a off road tire give up on me off road some place a street tire like the 5gs mostly came with is not gonna get me home. best to have all 5 be same size and type.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
no stupid questions as long as you ask before it is too late lol.

Gdub

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I have have left the spare tire in the stock location since I started doing long term off-road adventures in 1977. First vehicle was 1973 FJ55 Landcruiser, second was a 1989 STX Ranger and now a 2002 FX4 Ranger. I have been through very rough terrain with some damage like a smashed tail pipe and dragging the receiver periodically. Scrapes on skid plates happen occasionally. I have even high centered before to the point I almost got stuck due to little tire traction. I have never damaged a spare tire.

My current spare tire is oversized because I run 33" tires and the tire does not fit all the way in the spare tire recess. It does not hang down a lot but it but it does hang down. It has never contacted anything. I am sure my receive dragging has helped a lot with that.

I am always aware the spare tire is vulnerable and take lines and drive accordingly. I would never say you should leave you spare tire where it is, but it has not stopped me from going where I want to go which is were many people prefer to turn around.

I plan on my next vehicle being a 2025 Tremor. I plan to keep the spare tire in the stock location. With all the gear and supplies I have to take for my up to one month off-road trips in the wilderness, I don't have room for a spare tire in the bed and a rear mount would get in my way. I have taken my mountain bike with me couple time on a carrier that has a receiver mount. It rotates down and out of the way but is still inconvenient.

To each his own.

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
Relocating has been really practical for me. Makes the tire easier to get to and changes faster. Plus, I don't think a 285/75-17 would fit in the stock location.

I also find the swingout practical for mounting my Co2 tank, shovel, and a camp table (I have dogs, so the tailgate is a disaster zone). But obviously setting the truck up like this is expensive.

My bumper was a one-off. The easiest way to do this would be with a Rig'd: https://www.rigdsupply.com/

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Relocating has been really practical for me. Makes the tire easier to get to and changes faster. Plus, I don't think a 285/75-17 would fit in the stock location.

Not trying to argue, but I do have that size in the spare location.
Sponsored