Do NOT buy the Diamondback bed cover!!

ajohnson

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
I purchased the Diamondback SE cover because of the advertised security, weather resistance, and ability to haul stuff on top. I received and installed the cover in late November. That's when I noticed the weatherstripping between the front bulkhead and the cover had ~0.5" gap. I've spent the past 2 months working with their customer service. In that time they have managed to ship me the original part twice, a 1 foot long piece, and a piece that ~.1" taller than the orginal.

I know the likelihood of water getting in is minimal, but when one of the key selling points is "dry gear no matter the weather" I expect there to be a seal around the entire bed. Hopefully this helps people considering this bed cover.
tempImagefatoEV.png
tempImageyyxLez.png
tempImageGYY96w.png
tempImageEZOCuX.png
tempImageAP4Q1m.png

P.S. Does anyone have any bed cover recommendations?
Sponsored

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
My tonneau cover came with a c-channel piece of aluminum that goes on the bulkhead to raise it up and seal it. I'm at work so I don't have a picture but it looks like you need something like that too.

Reactions: Doc

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
My BakFlip MX4 isnā€™t perfect but Iā€™m very happy with it after 18 months.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Get some square aluminum tubing, paint it black, and use 3M double-sided tape to stick in on. Problem solved.

brockdog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I have a Bak Revolver X2 roll up cover, had one on my F150, love it.

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Wow! I've got DiamondBack SE covers on both my Ranger:​
(a) the seal at the front bulkhead has been 100% on both​
(b) I've had fantastic success with DiamonBack's customer service​
Surprised, and disappointed your experience has not been as good as mine.​

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
I just went to home depot, and bought some weather stripping that I added to the top of theirs for like $4. Otherwise, it's the most robust/solid bed cover on the market and works perfectly fine.

Murph

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
customer service
Does that mean you're not getting any water from the tailgate end, and only at the cab? I haven't had any water leak in from the cab side, but I can't imagine there's a real difference between yours and HD model.

OP
OP
ajohnson

ajohnson

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Does that mean you're not getting any water from the tailgate end, and only at the cab? I haven't had any water leak in from the cab side, but I can't imagine there's a real difference between yours and HD model.
Yes and no. The cover sits flush with the tailgate so no water gets in from there. The tailgate itself is not perfectly sealed and dust does get in through the gap between the tailgate and the bed.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
I purchased the Diamondback SE cover because of the advertised security, weather resistance, and ability to haul stuff on top. I received and installed the cover in late November. That's when I noticed the weatherstripping between the front bulkhead and the cover had ~0.5" gap. I've spent the past 2 months working with their customer service. In that time they have managed to ship me the original part twice, a 1 foot long piece, and a piece that ~.1" taller than the orginal.

I know the likelihood of water getting in is minimal, but when one of the key selling points is "dry gear no matter the weather" I expect there to be a seal around the entire bed. Hopefully this helps people considering this bed cover.
tempImagefatoEV.png
tempImageyyxLez.png
tempImageGYY96w.png
tempImageEZOCuX.png
tempImageAP4Q1m.png

P.S. Does anyone have any bed cover recommendations?
Stay clear of the Diamondback.
Seriously, thanks for posting. This is one I have been looking at.

Murph

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
customer service
Yes and no. The cover sits flush with the tailgate so no water gets in from there. The tailgate itself is not perfectly sealed and dust does get in through the gap between the tailgate and the bed.
Yeah, same here for the tailgate, it's definitely not much water that gets in and I've seen post on here, on how to seal those gaps.

E Monty

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Ranger XLT/ā€˜03 Excursion
Occupation
Sheet Metal Worker
I purchased a Truxedo roll up and had the same issue, Iā€™ve also read a number of other posts with the same thing. I think the majority of manufacturesrs just donā€™t send enough sealing material along. Like another wrote instead of complaining about it I went to the hardware store and purchased a roll of sticky foam and built up the seal to the height I needed. Itā€™s not ideal but not enough of a problem to not buy a product. It has not leaked yet. For some reason the bed rails are very tall compared to the bulk head on these trucks.

OP
OP
ajohnson

ajohnson

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
I purchased a Truxedo roll up and had the same issue, Iā€™ve also read a number of other posts with the same thing. I think the majority of manufacturesrs just donā€™t send enough sealing material along. Like another wrote instead of complaining about it I went to the hardware store and purchased a roll of sticky foam and built up the seal to the height I needed. Itā€™s not ideal but not enough of a problem to not buy a product. It has not leaked yet. For some reason the bed rails are very tall compared to the bulk head on these trucks.
I agree it's fixable with a trip to the hardware store. I posted this for future buyers to beware of potential quality control issues with Diamondback and the poor customer service I received from the company. I knew going in I was paying a premium for this cover. I don't think that price matches the level of quality of the product and customer service experience I received from the company.

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Manager
Wow! I've got DiamondBack SE covers on both my Ranger:​
(a) the seal at the front bulkhead has been 100% on both​
(b) I've had fantastic success with DiamonBack's customer service​
Surprised, and disappointed your experience has not been as good as mine.​