First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Attorney
Given the high cost of full rack systems and the lack of availability of simple mounts on the market, I fashioned my own by having someone bend a 5.5" plate of 3/16" steel at a 41 degree angle at the 3" mark. Countersink the bottom for M6 flat head bolts and purchase two new 5/16-18 2.5" bolts to replace the original cleat bolts. I used 1/4" neoprene rubber between the mount and Diamondback for dampening purposes and to allow some space for the countersunk bolt heads below. It is rock solid. I may use the existing bolts to attach some 80/20 track between the two plates to allow me to carry more bikes using the same fork mounts and t-slot nuts.
IMG_20210619_172220_713.jpg
IMG_20210619_172220_508.jpg
IMG_20210619_172220_752.jpg
But for now, this is the cleanest solution I could find. A simple bungee to the rear cleat is all you need to keep it from bouncing around or side to side. No rear tray is necessary when using a fork mount. Simple yet strong.
Sponsored

Buckeye2782

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT and 1998 Ranger XLT
Love this. I have been looking to do something similar on my DB cover. So the bend angle is 41 degrees? And you bent at 3 inches. The edge on my cover is 2 1/2 in.
Also what impact on MPGs are you noticing with this setup. Weighing this and hitch platform rack.

OP
OP
MST Overland

MST Overland

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Attorney
Love this. I have been looking to do something similar on my DB cover. So the bend angle is 41 degrees? And you bent at 3 inches. The edge on my cover is 2 1/2 in.
Also what impact on MPGs are you noticing with this setup. Weighing this and hitch platform rack.
The plate is 3" on top and 2.5" on the side (so 5.5" square to start). I had the fabricator measure the angle on my cover as other companies looking to build mounts that use the existing cleat holes claim the angle is different cover to cover. Concerning MPG, I don't keep track of gas mileage but suspect the bike facing forward have less wind drag than being mounted sideways on a hitch rack.
Sponsored